Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 am

Flyboys (2006):
James Franco stars in a hokey Shonen Jump version of WW1. I think he's got too contemporary of a face for the role, but the film was a lot of fun. Bonus points for a very literal application of Chekhov's gun.

Body of Water (2011):
Does this count as deconstructing folk horror?
SPOILER: Show
I'm sure this particular twist has been done before, but I have to admire a film that takes an axe to the fundamental folk horror notion of a creepy backwoods village. The villagers are surly and unsociable, yes, but that's all they are, and all the culty supernatural stuff stems from the protagonist's unraveling mind as her suppressed childhood traumas start bubbling up.

The movie actually brought to my mind this question I once read in some comment thread that was about predictability in religious horror films: Has there ever been a demon possession movie where it turns out the suspected possessed person was, in fact, not possessed after all? I think only one example was mentioned in the thread, and it was some obscure European thing.

The Room (2019):

This one reminded me of The Purge, in that both are horror films with incredibly thought-provoking set-ups that disappointingly devolve into by-the-numbers genre exercises. Somehow we only got a fairly standard home invasion film out of all the rich possibilities offered by the concept of the Purge Night, and in The Room's case, the set-up is equally tantalizing. A young artist couple moves into a big old house in upstate New York, where they quickly find out that their new home comes equipped with a techno-magical room that can materialize out of thin air seemingly anything they can dream up. The only catch is that the conjured objects cannot be taken outside of the house because when past the threshold, they become subject to super-rapid aging and soon turn into dust.

This discovery is followed, as one would expect, by a period of hedonistic experimentation, but you'd think a pair of decently smart people would eventually graduate into bigger things like, you know, discreetly making the world a better place. We may argue how much of a villain Light Yagami was, but at least he used his magic item to its fullest extent. The magic room's physical creations must stay within the confines of the house, sure, but there seems to be no information filter, and you could do a lot with just information. For example, ask for some Mr. Fusion blueprints, scan or photograph them inside the house (using non-magically created equipment to be sure) and have the info anonymously mailed to leading energy scientists. Sadly, nothing that clever ever happens. Instead,

SPOILER: Show
the couple is childless due to medical reasons, so the wife conjures up a homunculus baby, and it's a generic evil child film from that point onwards.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 14, 2020 5:56 am

Crawl (2019)
- Great overall.
- Kaya Scodelario & the actor playing her father give great, intense performances.
- Effects appeared to be entirely CGI as far as I can tell and for the most part they were damn good.
- Only complaints (1) [what the dad is able to do after loosing his arm broke suspension of disbelief a bit] and (2) The gator not being able to smash through the shower door glass.
- Music is good.
- Deaths are really brutal especially the female looter.
- Tone is just right, not nearly as outlandish or silly as the same director's Piranha remake (or it's vulgar ugly sequel), Crawl is much more grounded and personal.

I would say it's the 3rd or 4th best killer animal movie I have seen after Jaws. Ranking them...

Jaws (1975)
gap
Rogue (2007)
Crawl (2019)
Primeval (2007) [need to re-watch and see if it's better than crawl]
gap
Komodo (1999)

Life (2017)
- Good overall.
- Whole cast does a great job. Ariyon Bakare especially, his despair when he realizes the seemingly innocent creature he has fallen in scientific love with is going to break every bone in his hand is tragic and palpable.
- I am a fan of Hiroyuki Sanada (the last samurai, the wolverine) and was pleased at the amount of screentime he got.
- Alien's design starts fairly generic and becomes more interesting as the film progresses. It thankfully wasn't a Xenomorph clone despite the overall film's similarity to that franchise. It has a kinda unknowable genuinely unnerving quality to it despite it not being all that big or imposing.
- Film has a bit of bleakness that isn't for everyone, didn't particularly like the ending.
- I would like a sequel picking up close to where this one left off although I am not sure the creature would be as effective when it can't creepily float around like it does in a spaceship.

Gus Hanson
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed May 27, 2020 1:11 pm

^ I saw Crawl for the first time last night and I too was definitely impressed in every sense of the word. The bond between the daughter and her father during this difficult time of natural disaster combined with killer creatures held up well.

Myself who is a fan of Alexandre Aja's hardcore horror entries like High Tension, The Hills Have Eyes, even the fun Piranha 3D would happily add this one to repeat viewings on the double.
"What kind of drugs do you take?!" - Lisa (The Room)

Return to “Film and Video”