Evangelions soundtrack

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

93rd
Embryo

Evangelions soundtrack

•      
  •      

Postby 93rd » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 pm

If Evangelions soundtrack had not been composed by Shirō Sagisu, how different would the shows mood be? If it had somehow found its way into the hands of someone like Yoko Kanno, would the soundtrack be as loved as it is today? I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks that the soundtrack, to really any form of media, is one of the most important aspects of it. I think that if Neon Genesis Evangelion's soundtrack had not been as strong as it was, it would've affected the shows reception, maybe negatively, maybe not.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Evangelions soundtrack

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:36 am

That's a question entirely without answer. There are a lot of composers that would probably have produced reults with a similar feel; at the same time, there are countless others that would have produced a soundtrack that felt differently in just about as many ways.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

93rd
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 93rd » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:00 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That's a question entirely without answer.

I think the fact that it's entirely without answer makes it a lot more fun to think about. All the possibilities that could've been the Evangelion soundtrack, it's really complete chance that Sagisu ended up composing it in the grand scheme of things.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 pm

The best composers produce music that varies widely according to the requirements of the show concerned. Sagisu or Kanno, for instance, can write in a wide variety of styles (Kanno more than Sagisu, I'd say overall :devil: ). So it could be that the music in Evangelion is to a considerable extent the right music for that show and would have turned out that way whichever (decent) composer had been asked to write it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 am

I'd say there are certain "Sagisuisms" though which are recurring in his work which I would say perfectly fit Eva. Can't properly explain cause I don't know music that well. It's the way he ends certain themes, there's just something deeply melancholic about it.

Kanno is amazing too though.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

93rd
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby 93rd » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:07 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:So it could be that the music in Evangelion is to a considerable extent the right music for that show and would have turned out that way whichever (decent) composer had been asked to write it.

I guess that's probably the superior way of thinking of it. It's just fun to think about how different it could've turned out.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”