Full title revealed (Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
The Cruel
Banned

Re: Full title revealed (Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time)

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:58 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, it was announced at some point that Q and Final would be released back-to-back or combined in some sense, but I don’t know how early into production they had planned that. TV spots announcing the tetralogy back before 1.0’s theatrical release clearly announced 4 separate titles with no indication that any of them will be joined. I think it was one of the ads shortly before or after 2.0’s release that Khara suggested that 3.0 and Final would be combined, but after a long hiatus of production updates relating to 3.0 the idea was abandoned.

Not that Anno doesn’t know what he’s doing (directors don’t work for as long as he does without knowing how to tell a pointed story), but Khara’s growing development as a new independent animation studio definitely meant that their productions were always in some state of flux.

The advertising on the posters for 1.0 and 2.0 announced that 3.0 and FINAL were planed to be shown together.

People should've seen it comming back then that it would become like this where we are now with FINAL.
Last edited by The Cruel on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:02 am

Images don't work
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:08 am

^
When I posted here they do seem to show for me. Have looked into them now and put more spaces between them. Mabye it shows now.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25 am

Unfortunately no
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:33 am

^
I tried something else now.

I made the images into links. maybe it works now.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:34 am

The image URLs are returning 403 (Forbidden) error codes. Try using a public server.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:44 am

^
Better I leave it be then if the source doesn't work.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:49 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ Until some time after, possibly shortly, some sort of new Evangelion story is released, either a movie or TV show, and we all compare it to Anno's work, either positively or negatively

Most likely negative. Sequels of old classics are universally treated negatively these days.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Lacissal
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Lacissal » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:09 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, it was announced at some point that Q and Final would be released back-to-back or combined in some sense, but I don’t know how early into production they had planned that. TV spots announcing the tetralogy back before 1.0’s theatrical release clearly announced 4 separate titles with no indication that any of them will be joined. I think it was one of the ads shortly before or after 2.0’s release that Khara suggested that 3.0 and Final would be combined, but after a long hiatus of production updates relating to 3.0 the idea was abandoned.

The initial announcement (ie Anno's statement of intent) said 4 'parts' or 'stories' (I'm not sure what the exact Japanese term used was). 3.0 and Final being combined and screened as one was a relatively early idea dating from late 2006, shortly after Rebuild was properly announced. Quite a few news articles from the time seem to be 404'd now (like the Animenewsservice), including a post from the official Eva site translated here which is no longer up on the site:

post/48021/More-Eva-Recent-news-Rebuild-Newtype-article/#48021

Can't find an authoritative quote that specifically 3.0 and Final were 45 minutes each (like 25' and 26' in EoE with the credits in between). I think 3.0 and Final weren't fully known to be separate films until 2012. I had the idea of archiving and arranging chronologically sourced statements on Rebuild's production schedule as they're surprisingly elusive to find.

https://eva-fan.com/blog-entry-4243.html

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 am

Lacissal wrote:The initial announcement (ie Anno's statement of intent) said 4 'parts' or 'stories' (I'm not sure what the exact Japanese term used was). 3.0 and Final being combined and screened as one was a relatively early idea dating from late 2006, shortly after Rebuild was properly announced.

Ah the good old days.

Yeah, the original announcement from 2006 was Eva 1.0 would be a 90 minute movie, 2.0 would be a 90 minute movie and 3.0 + Final would run back to back and run 45 minutes a piece.

The original teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uH1mZWTCds

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Lol in the end the runtime was :
-1.0 : 1h 36m
-2.0 : 1h 52m
-3.0 : 1h 45m
-3.0 +1.0 : around 2h (?)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:05 pm

Hahaha! Wow. It’s kind of amazing none of the “rebuilds” were as short as 90 mins. Clearly the project ballooned since then in the most wonderful way.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:18 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Lol in the end the runtime was :
-1.0 : 1h 36m
-2.0 : 1h 52m
-3.0 : 1h 45m
-3.0 +1.0 : around 2h (?)

I have different lenghts

1.11 - 100m58s (+10m58s)
2.22 - 112m09s (+22m09s)
3.33 - 95m39s (+55m39s)

That's a 88m46s increase in runtime so far.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:33 pm

I think the 3.0 runtime is including the Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo short by Anno & Shinji Higuchi that played in front of the movie in Japan.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:36 am

^
What needs more takes also more effort to do it of course. Never were original concepts scraped. They were only expanded further over the years. I can't imagine Rebuild with shorter runtime than actually. That wouldn't make possible what Rebuild tries to be and it would be just a simplified remake instead. Other earlier release dates were in mind sure and it was thought it would work like this. Never was it easy what Eva needs to be done.

You can (not) hope

Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:44 am

Some considerations about the title (?) Thrice upon a time:

* Extends the classic "once upon a time" used in fairy tales. In NTE there are some references to fairy tales, e.g. Gendo is the King, Asuka the princess, Rei reads The happy prince (is Shinji the prince?). Will Shin Evangelion end with "happily ever after"? I think not, the ending could be a middle way between happiness and sadness.

* Thrice upon a time, i.e. three times + one times = 3.0 + 1.0
Three films and one ending?
Eva3.0 and Eva1.0?
Three stories and one ending?
Three beginnings and one ending?
Three cycles and one ending?

* Thrice upon a time it's a sci-fi story by James Hogan with time traveles. Three interesting things:
1) By activating the time machine that sends messages in the past, the future is erased to the point of arrival in the past, like an overwritten vhs. In one of my hypotheses the story between Second Impact and Final Impact is erased in NTE.
2) In the novel there are micro black holes and an epidemic. In NTE there are a black hole, the contamination caused by L-field, and the Failures of Infinity.
3) In the novel Murdoch and Anne fall in love in all repetitions. What will happen to Shinji and Asuka?

I wrote a short italian article about this news: https://projecteva.altervista.org/shin-eva-posticipato/
Last edited by Shun on Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:55 am

Anno has a habit of naming final episodes after scifi and not paralelling any of the plot points. I wouldn't read too much into that name as of now.

--list will go here once I find the damn thing--
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Shun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shun » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:14 am

Oh yes, I know well that Anno usually quotes sci-fi titles for the final episodes. I'm not saying that from the plot of Hogan's novel we can discover the plot and the mysteries of Shin Eva, I simply say that some point in common could be there. E.g.:
* In the novel Hateshinaki nagare no hate hi by Sakyo Komatsu the protagonist Nonomura travels through time and in the end, when he returns to Earth, he discovers that he has not aged, while other people are aged or deads. In GunBuster Noriko undergoes time dilation, remains young, while thousands of years have passed on Earth.
* In the manga The door into summer by Keiko Takemiya (yep, the same title of sci-fi novel by Heinlein) a young boy is initiated into sex by an adult woman. In Air Misato kisses Shinji, and in general in EoE there is also sex thematics.
* In the movie Charly, the protagonist becomes super intelligent, but then he chooses to return normal (a little stupid). In EoE Shinji accepts the HIP, but then he decides to return in the normal world.

There are points in common at a very general level, ergo, Thrice upon a time could be a novel with some general points in common with Shin Eva.
What is essential is invisible to the eye.
My articles about Evangelion
My Evangelion website

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:42 am

Well this sure sounds promising, despite the expected delay.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:04 pm

Just found this thread and wanted to share some ideas about why 3.0+1.0 was used instead of 4.0. In Japanese, the word 'four' sounds similar to 'death' (both are 'shi' in Japanese), so it is generally considered bad luck. Rather than just being mere superstition (its called tetraphobia, by the way), the film title could be intentionally avoiding any association with death for symbolic reasons. Maybe this final film is going to avoid the dark elements of the previous EoE and NGE, and the final chapter may end on a more happy note. Also, the '+' sign in the title is suggestive of bonding, restoration, and a new chapter.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”