[Fic] Father Brother Lover Mother

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Father Brother Lover Mother [Canon Divergence / MisaKawo]

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:26 am

@Derantor: You actually gave me the confidence to go for "Eros", so thank you. :D

Going back over my work, that chapter actually... wasn't bad. I think I just suffer from a bad case of writer's melodrama and I need to get it under better control. It's a terrible habit and it's much better to just let people read the chapter without me setting any completely unnecessary expectations.

Kaworu being on a proverbial "timer" is something I've played with for years in the scribbles that helped build up to this fic. You correctly guessed some of my reasoning behind it, as well. ;D Probably the biggest challenge here is coming up with something that MIGHT, hypothetically, be compatible with the original episode (and if I already did, I completely forgot what it was). What I mean by this is: *if* Kaworu was just going to die anyway, why would he need Shinji to kill him? I'm sure there are ways to rationalize it ("Kaworu wanted to traumatize Shinji", for example...), but it would be better if rationalization wasn't required.

I think most of the arguments for "why Third Impact must happen (my way)" were ones I had to come up with on the spot. I just never had the proper motivation to do it before, but I guess properly motivated fanwanking can accomplish just about anything! Blue Basilisk on the forum here gave me the question "what happens if Third Impact doesn't?", which was exactly the missing piece I needed. Without that, I feel like it would have taken genuine slight of hand to pull the story off; but I so badly wanted it to be emotionally authentic. Not very often one needs to fanwank Impact mechanics for the sake of emotional authenticity...

>Adam Kadmon
The fanfic author choosing that for a pseudonym and then getting such a horrible reputation attached to it is quite the annoying obstacle to making Eva fans aware of this important idea in Jewish mysticism. :sniffle: For the purposes of Kaworu's ramble, basically imagine Eva-01 turning irreversibly into an eternally hungry, life-sucking god of death.

>Your take on the whole Angel/Seed affair is amazing: From the mention of colony worlds to the comparison to the universe itself, to Kaworus surprise at his own words, it just feels enormous,
>ancient and important. A thing not truly graspable by mere human imagination.
Oh, thank you. :blush: That was one of those pieces of writing where I'm like "where the hell did that come from? did I write that? nice!". A couple of people felt it veered into the "out-of-character", but even in Kaworu's very limited canonical appearances, he's been known to get a bit intense and/or caught up in his own words. So I figured, what the heck!

> Psychosystem: Hm, yeah, it sounds a little too much as if it was concerned with the mind or rational thought, not the soul as a whole, the way it is used in Eva ...
> I'll edit in a suggestion if I happen to > stumble upon anything. Edit: What about, instead of an analogy to ecosystem, you use the biosphere -> psychosphere transformation?
"Psychosphere" was my first choice, and for reasons I can't remember (which were probably bad reasons anyway) I didn't stick with it... Perhaps I will go back. :nyao:

Next chapter should be... interesting. :emogendo:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:13 am

@Reichu: Well, you're welcome! :D

Kaworu's timer:If it ever comes up, Kaworu's reasoning is often times alien enough that it can be a little strange. Off the top of my head, it might just be fear of the unknown, the terror of uncertainty, not knowing exactly how long his timer is, how it will affect him mentally, what people have planned with him once he reaches that stage (they engineered it, after all - what if it is more than a mere fail-safe-device? What if there is a hidden dead man's switch?), etc, so, having become fixated on the idea that he WILL die no matter what, he thinks it's best if he has control over the circumstances. "Make the timing fixed, the way it is done concrete, to lessen my own fear and come to terms with it beforehand."

With regards to Shinji, he might think that he is doing the poor boy a favor. By fulfilling his wish, Shinji does a good deed, the ultimate kindness, so Kaworu might hope that Shinji grasps all that, sees it as an act of love, shares his own happiness at shedding his mortal body, since that was never his own to begin with. An extreme case of "I like it, so everybody else must like it too!" Do unto others as you wish to be treated yourself -> Shinji wishes for kindness in his own way, so he goes to bathe with him and whispers sweet nothings into his ear (and floods the room with universally attractive alien pheromones while he's at it), and Shinji reciprocates by giving back the kind of kindness Kaworu wishes for. Shinji understands his suffering, so he must come to the same conclusions how to eliminate it.

Adam Kadmon: An utterly frustrated neckbeard MIGHT just be the perfect way to portray the god of death - nothing glorious about it. But in all seriousness, I imagined it as an ... vague, ominous presence, an ungraspable entity which always seems to evade your direct stare, like a faint light in the darkness, which you can only see when you are not directly looking at it.

Kaworu's Pathos: Given that he was raised by SEELE, and ALL of their dialogue is completely theatrical, something must have rubbed off on him. One does not live in the presence of self-righteous spirits longing for the return to Eden, without being molded by their pious exclamations. I bet even his caretakers were all like:
"With vigour and resolve,
you will remove the foul remains of the eternal cycle of growth and consumption
and return your body to a state yet to be touched by the sin of death!"
:sermon:

-> "Go brush your teeth."
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:42 am

Somehow, the influence of Seele upon Kaworu's speech patterns did not consciously occur to me, even though it should be bloody obvious... :facepalm:

I had fun with this one. This chapter finally introduces an element I've teased through the AO3 tags from the start, which pleases me greatly. The extended flashback portion was also a pleasant (in that teary-eyed sort of way) surprise.

Chapter 12: Warmth

Next chapter looks like it should be a satisfying one to write, but we'll see.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:03 am

Since you broke your pattern of thinking you chapters suck while they don't, and are in fact satisfied, I fear that can only mean that you cursed yourself and the inverse became true ... (:|

Chapter 12  SPOILER: Show
Huh, even angels fear rejection, it seems ... A fact I still can not fully grasp, much like Misato.

The beginning felt a little ... rushed? I don't know, that isn't exactly the right word. Maybe I just wasn't in the right head-space yet, and should have read the end of Chapter 11 again. It took some time to get in the mood, so take this criticism with a boulder of salt. That said, Misato's fears, longings and desires are delicious to read about! The highly emotional, irrational nature of the whole thing just feels right. Poor Kaji, poor Misato. That's what happens when you don't follow your heart: You regret it later.
One thing though: Maybe I have missed something, but how does she know he plans to use Unit 02? I don't think he ever mentioned that to her.

So Kaworu does see himself as female in human terms. Curious. I guess we were created in the image of the angels, then. Makes me wonder about the gender of the other angels. Or how that even applies ... But I guess you have your ideas ^_^ Interesting how Misato and Kaworu are both attracted to Akira, and not the actual person their attractions orient themselves towards. Kaworu's body issues are sad, yet this small comfort he gets from being able to see his (rather her ... damn pronouns. I'll stick with him, just to be consistent, as long as he is still Kaworu) lover's smile whenever he wants is bitter-sweet in its own way. His bit about masturbation only being a punishment feels only too real, when taking into account the lengths people went to to curb it in earlier times (and still today, in some cases). Ah, there is so much in there I liked, the use of Eros and Thanatos for example, the angels really still being present in the lake ...
Edit: Also nice symmetry between Misato's and Kaworu's scenes, each remembering past lovers while getting aroused in the real world, for the same reason: Akira ... who is their ... father in both cases ... and lover ... Is Kaworu basically his own mother, here? This is getting confusing!
Forgot to mention, love Kaworu's speech patterns here, the weird descriptions he gives.

So yes, I was just winding you up: This chapter is great! :tongue:

So, chapter notes!
First one: Yes. ^_^
Second one: What's the connotation of "kanojo" in this context? I only know the word from "Saishuu Heiki Kanojo", but I never got the meaning.
Third one: Yes!

Wild guess for next chapter's name: Coldness! Why yes, that is the extent of my imagination.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:45 pm

@Derantor: The chapter picks up immediately where 11 ended. Does the first section feel less disorienting coming off the end of 11?

>how does she know he plans to use Unit 02? I don't think he ever mentioned that to her.
That was pointing back to Ch.08, which was the WORST chapter so one could be forgiven for missing it. ;)

Chapter 8: Chains wrote:This was all on purpose. Letting Asuka get “lost” until her own behavior forced them to suddenly “find” her… And now this. The powers that be wanted her out of the picture, and taking advantage of the 15th Angel’s fallout to do it surreptitiously is just like them. But why? Just to have an excuse to send the Fifth as her replacement? Is it something about Eva-02 specifically…?

Her stomach turns. Near Third Impact. An Angel using the Evas to make it happen, foiled only by Rei Ayanami’s self-sacrifice. Kaworu Nagisa, possessing half of Adam’s genes and almost certainly the Final Angel, assigned to Evangelion Unit-02 as the Fifth Children.

I was trying not to "spell everything out" there, but maybe it didn't have the right amount of... IMPACT... as a result. :tongue: Basically, Misato sees that "pilot's will getting in the way of the Angel's" (the thing that stopped N3I) is completely circumvented -- as previously predicted for the 17th Angel in Ch.03 -- by the Angel being the pilot. In my planned rewrites for that scene, I could probably make her thought process clearer, while still leaving some legwork to the reader.

The matter of Eva-02 should be coming up again very soon.

Re:Sex/Gender Stuffs - Yeah, I have pretty defined ideas about this and how it pertains to non-Lilin persons. I'm a bit... idiosyncratic about it. The way it all works for the purposes of the story will be revealed little by little.

I gave thought to the Kaworu pronoun problem right from the start, and decided it was simplest to make Kaworu/Tabris always "he". This gets a little weird in, say, the segment where Kaworu is specifically thinking about how a male body is a prison and such... But the way I see it, the only thing right now that truly belongs to Kaworu is his soul; everything else is something imposed upon that soul by Lilin. Kaworu knows this, and so has no interest in trying to "claim" any of these impositions in order to feel more comfortable; he just wants to get rid of them. Lilin language and its limitations would be one such imposition. His attitude is basically: "I know who and what I am, and I'm not going to bother fighting all of you on it. Call me whatever you want." So Kaworu "self-referencing" as "he" in the Tabris segments is nothing more than resigned indifference to Lilin labels; Kaworu's thoughts reveal the actual truth. I'm not sure how much the text of the story will get into the issue, but I should at least drop enough hints to make Kaworu's overall stance implicit.

>What's the connotation of "kanojo" in this context?
It's the Japanese equivalent to "she", and the usage is much more narrow than in English. If there's any connotation at all, it's that Adam is a female person.

Note that if you want to avoid calling something a "he" or a "she" in Japanese, it's incredibly easy. This sort of obfuscation is used in Eva for the non-Lilin entities in all but two instances, giving the two usages of "kanojo" (Eva-01 in #19 and Eva-02 in #24) special impact. Kaworu was the one who called Eva-02 "she" so that may have been what prompted the question (asked by Lavinius).

Speaking of this, I've fixed up Misato's introspection in "Chains" so that she is no longer really thinking about Adam's sex at all. I'm not 100% sure how I'll handle her for now, but it almost feels most in-character for her to just refer to Adam as "he" because (she thinks) Kaworu is one. This is of course in spite of Kaworu saying Adam is "she", because Misato can be very thick when she wants to be.

> Also nice symmetry between Misato's and Kaworu's scenes, each remembering past lovers while getting aroused in the real world, for the same reason: Akira
:wink:

>Is Kaworu basically his own mother, here?
No, but also yes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:01 pm

I think part of the reason fans don't like focusing on Misato's negative aspects is like you both said, either they feel that diminishes her "heroic" qualities...or maybe Eva fic-authors don't always take that into account since by end of series, the world's at stake so there's "bigger" issues to worry about. Absolutely, 100%, I agree if "the secret of Eva that they flipped the genders" (epic copypaste~) was what one assumed (hot-bloodied male Asuka, Shinko, etc, etc) fans would be losing their shit regarding how the characters are treated.

So, I only read the first 2 (3?) chapters, yes, but this fic deserves a well-deserved, well, bump because it explores such interesting ideas. I hope to play reading catch up myself soon (and do the usual reading and reviewing, too—given my own backlogged fic-writing and reading). I'll definitely be intrigued and dreading the "new" take on Bad End when things progress that far, too!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:06 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Does the first section feel less disorienting coming off the end of 11?

Yes! Re-read it, it flows seemlessly. I guess I got caught up in the episodic feeling I get from reading this story as it is released, trying to preserve impressions chapter by chapter. Which is doubly ironic since I thought you should use exactly this kind of transition between chapter 10 and 11 as well, ending it with Misato's words (which would also give a nice symmetry: Three chapters which form a whole, two transitions, one with Misato last, one with Kaworu).

Reichu wrote:That was pointing back to Ch.08 [...]

Ah, you are right, I completely forgot about that (and the pilots will bit, as well. I need to get better short-to-mid-term memory. :uhh: ). So my brain never made the connection that being assigned to Unit 02 means he plans to use it - it is of course logical to assume, I was just under the impression that she was recounting what he told her, not adding her own conclusions.

Pronouns/Gender: Yeah, Kaworu's indifference makes sense. I thought the same thing, maybe from a slightly different angle: Why should he care? The language isn't his own, the concepts it expresses might not even apply to his alien nature (I'm interested to see how my view changes when you explain your idiosynchratic view on the matter - so far, I think I have him far more on the alien than "similar to human" side). He is above such earthly concerns. It is also easiest that way, and most pleasantly to read, I think, since there is no switch in the middle of the text. Same with Misato calling Adam he: Obvious male features (that giant doesn't really look female, contrary to Lilith) plus the name Adam make it strange to call him "she", it adds a level of dissonance that is distracting, at least to me. I also don't think she is very concerned with offending an entitiy she absolutely despised for almost her entire life.

Kanojo: Ah, that explains a lot. Heh, funny how different languages lend themselves better to setting up certain mysteries. Would be completely impossible in German: There is not even a equivalent for "they/them", and words get inflected to reflect the gender of the person spoken about ("My sister/my brother" in English, "Meine Schwester/mein Bruder" in German).

Chains: Re-read the first passage. While reading, I wondered why I had objections in the first place, which means, whatever they were, they are now gone.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:38 pm

Just dropping these off for now... Replies will come later.

13: Ambivalence
14: Soryu

Two at once because it was supposed to be a single chapter and it got too big for its britches. I will gladly take suggestions for better chapter names here.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:19 pm

Given that it is basically one chapter, maybe you could split the title as well. Something like "Divide ... " "... et Impera", except something more fitting, of course. Maybe go full Eva with this, "And then (s)he said ..." "... I love you". Oh well, I would probably have named them "Meetings, Part I & II" ... :shakehead:

Enough bad suggestions, on to the review! :emogendo:

Chapters 13 & 14  SPOILER: Show
First of all: Chapter fourteen is great. :thumbsup: I love your take of Shinji, who seems like he is about to break down any minute now, barely able to control his anger and frustration - so right where he should be at that point in canon. I also really like Kaworu's different perspective - mourning Arael Armisael, not Asuka Rei, while still being very empathetic towards Shinji, even though he isn't really his objective this time. I also found myself getting absorbed by the meeting with Kyoko. All the little technical details add so much depth to it, in addition to the fact that Eva-technology is viewed from a completely different perspective here, pointing out the cruelty of it all. Aaaah, there is so much here I liked, but I was especially fond of the fact that Kaworu offers Kyoko to die with her and am anxious to get to know what she wished for ^_^

I have to admit though, that I had to reread certain passages (and will again, to marvel at all the little details) - the style fits perfectly to Kaworus thoughts, but my oft-mentioned lack of a true grasp on english beyond informal speech necessitated it. Don't change it, though! It adds to the chapter. The only thing I'm completely baffled by is the "Twin Ouroburos" metaphor, I've got no idea what that means.

Edit: Moved the added part to the next reply. You answered too fast :tongue:

Chapter 13 is, well, as you said, much too short. You nailed Fuyutsuki though, his conflict between being the elderly, friendly grand-father-figure but also the second in command of a very likely genocidal maniac trying to get his wife back. I also like the lampshading of the fact none of Fuyutsukis many responsiblities are ever shown on screen (with him just standing around or playing shogi all day) and the fact that there is nothing in the office except Gendo's chair and desk. I wonder who is playing who with the lie, though. Shouldn't Fuyutsuki know just as much as Ritsuko about Kaworu's origins?

I had an idea while reading: I thought the meetings of Shinji/Kaworu and Misato/Fuyutsuki are happening simultaneously, while Kaworu meeting Kyoko happens after, so the order doesn't matter for the first two. Shinji's meeting with Kaworu is the longest segment of both chapters, so maybe you could use that as Chapter 13, expand on it a little bit (I'd really like to read more of your Shinji), and then put Misato's report in front of Kaworu's meeting with Unit 02. That way, there is the ironic juxtaposition of Fuyutsuki pointing out that kindness is often more effective than cruelty, with Kaworu discovering the full extent of human cruelty right after. That way, the chapters are a little more equal in length and content. Or you put Misato's and Shinji's parts in chapter 13 and expand chapter 14. Hm ... Difficult. I have the feelings that everything in the chapters needs to be said, and soon, so nothing can be removed to make it fit into one chapter.
Last edited by Derantor on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:07 am

@Derantor:

Re:13&14  SPOILER: Show
I completely missed the "Kindness/Cruelty" thing when I was looking for some excuse to break my "chapter word count" rule and keep the three segments together. Good catch! I think this gives me the confidence to restore them back to being a single, atypically long chapter. I'll let it sit a little longer before I make the change, though.

Glad you like the Shinji section. I felt like I struggled with that one -- like, I knew I wanted Kaworu to sit down and talk to him at some point, but now that the time had finally come, I wasn't initially sure where I was going with it. Thankfully it did eventually find some sense of purpose. Oddly enough, I can't recall actually writing much in Shinji's voice before (but Akira probably provided a lot of indirect practice, since in many ways he's an "adult Shinji"). Since you mention being interested in seeing more of my Shinji, there are one or two points later on where he might be able to fit, but it all depends on how everything comes together. :sweatdrop:

Interesting how you switch to female pronouns for Kaworu here:

I was especially fond of the fact that Kaworu offers Kyoko to die with her and am anxious to get to know what she wished for ^_^

Is this a nod to how Kyoko, who experiences Kaworu on a purely spiritual level, comes to the conclusion that Kaworu is her "mother"?

I may have to change the "Twin Ouroburos" thing. It's just supposed to mean "S2 Engine" -- so the implied visual is two snakes winding around each other, each one biting its own tail. A reader who has ideas about Eva that are frequently even stranger than mine was confused by the metaphor as well, so I should probably hold onto it for a later, less throwaway occasion.

The Fuyutsuki situation is... difficult. I'm somewhat regretting what I've gotten myself into here, but I've told myself I shouldn't back out of the set-up yet, either, as I may still find a way to make it all come together in a satisfying manner. Episode 24 gives rather conflicting cues about how much Fuyutsuki and Gendo actually do know. On the one hand, there's the scene where they react to Kaworu making contact with Rei as if it's, well, something worth of being reacted to, implying they both know something. But everywhere else, their dialogue and actions makes it seem like they didn't know what Kaworu was until he revealed himself.

For Gendo, this is obvious nonsense, since he was working with the Katsuragi Research Team and left the day before the experiment with, presumably, all relevant data. There is basically no way he doesn't know about the experiment, what its purpose (both "ostensibly" and "in actuality") was, the identity of the donor, and so forth. With Gendo, perhaps the excuse can be made "oh, he totally knew what Kaworu was the entire time; he just never said anything for MYSTERIOUS GENDO REASONS", although this isn't very satisfying.

For Fuyutsuki, one is forced to conclude that he's been kept out of the loop, maybe because of his "misdemeanors" on the subject of Second Impact. Seele decided he was more valuable alive, but they wouldn't let him "win" by giving him unrestricted access to the Katsuragi Team's data, either. "You fucked up, Professor, and now you'll only get to know about the things we WANT you to know about." Gendo would be forced to comply with this as one of the conditions for Fuyutsuki not being murdered and left face-down in a ditch. Given the intensity of their illicit partnership (good grief, that sounds wrong), it's still curious that Gendo wouldn't tell him at any point during episode 24's timeline, though......

But anyway, in the event you or anyone else has ideas for making this work: I'm currently assuming (for the fic) that Gendo knows exactly what Kaworu is, but is remaining silent, perhaps for some inscrutable Xanatos Gambit reason or another. Fuyutsuki has suspicions, but Gendo's been uncooperative, forcing Fuyu to take matters into his own hands. We know from episode 21 that Fuyutsuki was familiar with Dr. Katsuragi, and so presumably knows what he looked like as well; he may not be able to double-check, on account of the controls placed on the database, but the feeling is strong enough that he's decided to use Misato as a litmus test. This is all far from set in stone, and since the POVs in the story are limited to Misato and Kaworu, it may be possible to leave much of the situation ambiguous anyway. But, y'know, there's "good ambiguous" and "bad, lazy ambiguous", and I prefer the former whenever possible...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:40 am

@Reichu:

Chapter 13/14  SPOILER: Show
Reg. Shinji: Oh yeah, no need to force him in, it isn't his story, and he is in no position to do anything anyways, until Kaworu reveals his nature to everybody. I was just so struck by you ability to give him so much depth in so few sentences, with all his conflicts being present, that I wouldn't have minded an extended sequence with him. I struggle to balance him in that way. :uhh:

Reg. Pronouns: Oh, that was just sloppy formulation on my part, I think. The "her" refers to Kyoko, the "she" as well. I was just struck by the similarities to the Kyoko/Asuka relationship, which kind of goes both ways with Kaworu and Kyoko, with both taking the role of mother and child at the same time. Kyoko as a mother asking another child to die with her (if we go by appearances, with Kaworu as a replacement for Asuka) which Kaworu accepts, and Kaworu actually being the mother of her Eva-half, offering her death and rebirth, with Kyoko accepting. (Btw, Kyoko not really being sure what she is anymore (being merged with the Eva, plus the "cleaved soul" bit, the special treatment of her core and the fact that she was robbed of Asuka's presence) is not only a nice parallel to Kaworu himself, with the same mind/body mis-match, it also explains so much about her canon appearances ... I am really envious of your ability to fit things so seemlessly and make it sound like that was always the intended canon meaning while still expanding on stuff in a natural way.)

Twin Snakes: Aaaah ... ok, that explains it. If it becomes clear in the story later on, then I'd just keep it there to amp up the mystery.

Fuyutsuki/Gendo situation: Episode 24 is ... a clusterfuck of confusion, really, especially with the addition of the DC material. :facepalm: I'll just write down my thoughts, maybe there is something in here which you hadn't thought about.

Option A: Fuyu doesn't know about Kaworu's nature because he was kept out of the loop - that would imply that he doesn't know about Rei harboring Lilith's soul at this point, but does know that she is a clone of Yui. The reason for Gendo not telling him: He doesn't trust him/habitually keeps information to himself unless it is absolutely necessary to reveal it/wants to protect Fuyu from SEELE as he is his last true and loyal ally. Fuyu never told Gendo about Yui's true intentions either, so this goes both ways - secrecy and paranoia being more important than trust.

Option B: Fuyu DOES know, but he doesn't want to tell Misato - maybe he fears she will do something rash when he does so, maybe Gendo told him not to do it, maybe he fears that SEELE is watching Misato closely and any information he gives her might end up in their hands. Maybe he acts so strange in the episode because all of NERV is under constant survaillance (including Gendo's office): He can not reveal any information to his subordinates in the first place, much less risk it getting into the hands of SEELE/the UN/the Japanese government. The way he speaks to Gendo might be actual surprise: Rei was intentionally kept from knowing what she truly was. Without that knowledge, she wasn't able to manifest an AT-field, so she wasn't "an angel" in the strictest sense. He never thought that SEELE would reveal this information to Kaworu, thus making him a true angel, that's why he said "I never thought SEELE would send one of them to us directly" - this is of course not really satisfying since he and Gendo use Rei in exactly the same way just a few days later, but on the other hand, they might just be arrogant. The other reason I can think of is that he and Gendo are so close that they have their own language with each other - what words they say is completely unrelated to what they are actually talking about, that way they can keep up appearances with ease.

Anyway, I thought it was the "good ambiguous" kind. As you said, it is Misato's PoV. I don't think you need to reveal much, if anything, regarding Fuyu's reasons. In good Eva-tradition, we'll just fanwank something. :emogendo:

Edit originally in the last reply  SPOILER: Show
There was also the funny situation where Kaworu guesses that his Sister has a hidden darkness, which Shinji has seen ... Where it took me a moment to get that you meant Misato, as it could have been Rei, who Shinji is also afraid of, or Lilith, who he has seen as well. The family relations get a little messy sometimes. :tongue:
Last edited by Derantor on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:42 am

What happened? No love for The Crying Man any more? LOL. I have to say this one of the more bizarre yet interesting stories/Fanficiton I've seen pertaining to Evangelion. I've been gone from the forums a while but what a way to start my return reading Reichu's crazy (but awesome) story ideas :devil:

Like I said, the concept is bizarre and yet....It kind of makes sense. If you're one who those supports the theory of Kaworu having some relation to (Akira) Katsuragi, Misato's father, it also means, by default, he has relation to Misato, which then makes him kinda/sort-of Brother/Father and now jailbait (yes, I know the term is referred to females but I'm at loss what other term to use) :cringe: The power dynamics also change because despite being a God, Kaworu is still 15 year old boy and Misato is THE adult. How is it possible I feel queasier at the idea than when Misato tried to have sex with Shinji.

As for Misato's more "unsavory aspects", well, I always thought, and I sound like a complete hypocrite as I'm now the same age as her and STILL dependent on my parents, Shinji playing the domestic maid was something that rubbed me off wrong. Like, I have no problem with the premise being played for laughs and it's some sort compensation for being allowed to live with her and he doesn't seem to mind it but the fact she's 29 years and he's 14 means she SHOULD be taking care of him like an ACTUAL guardian/parent not playing house/family. Instead, there's some dependency on him on her part. I DON'T want to imagine what Misato's house was like BEFORE he came into her life. She's a slob and Shin-chan is there to pretty to clean up after her. Ritsuko's jab at at her in episode 23 had some ring of truth. I haven't watched the series in a while so I maybe misrepresenting things. I don't remember if the chores/cleaning house were divided into her, Shinji, and Asuka. But yeah, she's really not THAT good of a guardian, I'm sorry to say and as awful as this sounds, seems to be operate when it's most convenient for her. What's that? Two teenagers who are emotionally broken and at their low points? Nah, fuck them, LOL (*slurps another beer and continues to pretend they don''t exist until when it's convenient*).

I admit I maybe being totally unfair to Misato and *potentially* saying factually incorrect things but the fact you're approaching the character's darker, unpleasant aspects is a plus. I don''t think it takes away from her. If anything it reveals complexity and how almost everyone in Evangelion fucked in their own unique, special way. :hahaha:

Sorry for the long as post. It just made me think about her dynamic when Shin-chan and such.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:22 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:What happened? No love for The Crying Man any more? LOL. I have to say this one of the more bizarre yet interesting stories/Fanficiton I've seen pertaining to Evangelion. I've been gone from the forums a while but what a way to start my return reading Reichu's crazy (but awesome) story ideas :devil:

Welcome back! I'm using this story to get me back into a Crying Man headspace -- I have every intention of going back to Akira's wacky misadventures when I'm done. (He's an important figure in the current story, though obviously in the capacity of "mysterious dead person who draws two people who are still alive together".) I hope you get a chance to read what I've done so far on FBLM and let me know what you think. :D

But yeah, she's really not THAT good of a guardian, I'm sorry to say and as awful as this sounds, seems to be operate when it's most convenient for her. What's that? Two teenagers who are emotionally broken and at their low points? Nah, fuck them, LOL (*slurps another beer and continues to pretend they don''t exist until when it's convenient*).

It's interesting that you mention this... :shifty: (Catch up and you'll see what I mean.)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:So, I only read the first 2 (3?) chapters, yes, but this fic deserves a well-deserved, well, bump because it explores such interesting ideas. I hope to play reading catch up myself soon (and do the usual reading and reviewing, too—given my own backlogged fic-writing and reading). I'll definitely be intrigued and dreading the "new" take on Bad End when things progress that far, too!

Thanks, SSD! Get around to it whenever you're in the right headspace for it. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. ^_^

The work I've done so far on "Bad End Mk.2" (it will obviously get a real title later) shows considerable differences from the original. Aside from the basic "Adam Resurrected" premise, it will be almost completely different. If it ever comes to pass, I hope for it to be a much more "humane" work.

@Derantor:

There was also the funny situation where Kaworu guesses that his Sister has a hidden darkness, which Shinji has seen ... Where it took me a moment to get that you meant Misato, as it could have been Rei, who Shinji is also afraid of, or Lilith, who he has seen as well. The family relations get a little messy sometimes.

Yeah, I suppose he has mumbled something vague about Lilith and "darkness"... :thinking: I guess Adam and Lilith would be sisters from a certain perspective, though with everything that's happened they're probably a bit estranged. "THAT DEMON BITCH IS NO FAMILY OF MINE!" Ugh, reminds me that I still need to figure out what I'm doing with Rei. :facepalm:

I was just so struck by you ability to give him so much depth in so few sentences, with all his conflicts being present, that I wouldn't have minded an extended sequence with him.

Dawww. ^_^ There is some stuff that got cut while I was building the scene; I'll throw it here for the hell of it.

SPOILER: Show
“I… don’t know anything about her father… other than the few things she’s said.”
“Dr. Katsuragi is quite famous. He was on the brink of revolutionizing the field of energy, you know.”
“And he was never able to because—” Shinji looks away. “Right.”
“No one has been able to truly follow upon his work. His mind was perhaps decades ahead of technological trends.”
Shinji smiles nervously. “You sound like you’ve read a lot. Are you a fan? Is that why you’re asking about Misato-san? I don’t think she really likes talking about him.”
“Well, I guess you could say I’m a fan. But, no, I already know all of the things about him that I need to.”
“I… see.”
“Are there any fields that interest you? Your mother was a scientist, no?”
Shinji gets uncomfortable again. “I really don’t want to be a scientist… I don’t really have any idea what I want to do with myself, after all of this is over. I guess I’ll just keep doing what I was doing before.”
Kaworu looks expectant. Waiting for more.
“I play the cello. Maybe I could try to get good enough to join an orchestra… I dunno. I’m probably not that good, though.”
“The arts are a record of humanity’s soul. For something so important, they get devalued too easily. It is a most valorous pursuit.”
[Shinji says something here]
“Your cello must be at Major Katsuragi’s residence, then?”
“Ummm, yeah. Moving it would be hard unless I officially moved out…”
“If it is something you think you should do for your own happiness, why wait?”
“Because I don’t want to see her. I don’t want to talk to her.” Shinji pouts. “It’s really none of your business…”

And an attempt to rework the above that I quickly abandoned:

SPOILER: Show
“Dr. Katsuragi is quite famous,” Tabris says, unable to keep pride from seeping into his voice. “He was on the brink of revolutionizing the field of energy, you know.”

The Third smiles nervously. “Are you a fan?”

“I suppose I could be called that.” Tabris grins. “Do you take any interest in the sciences, Ikari-kun? Your mother was a bioengineer, no?”

The other boy’s body language becomes strongly evasive. “No, I’m not really interested… Well, maybe in astronomy, but just a little.” He fumbles around for words. “Father tried to encourage me into the sciences, when I was younger… Maybe that’s what put me off them.”

“Seek your bliss,” Tabris says. “It’s the only way to be happy.”

Being able to keep “The arts are a record of humanity’s soul" would have been nice, tbh... I guess, depending on how future Kaworu scenes play out, I might eventually restore it. :chinscratch:

Good thoughts on the Fuyutsuki mess; the matter will require some careful consideration as the story starts to wind down. Speaking of Fuyutsuki problems, I only realized on a very delayed basis that Misato doesn't react in any way to Fuyutsuki saying, "You have an especially personal stake in all this." Now, of course he COULD just be referring to Misato's firsthand experience with Second Impact making the "Is Nagisa the 17th Angel?" thing especially important to her... But if she's feeling paranoid about others finding out she knows that Kaworu is her brother / the 17th Angel / the First Angel Incarnate whom she wants to bang, "personal stake" should have had her quietly freaking out at least a little, right?

In drafting the next chapter, one thing I wonder about is exactly how much thought Misato should be putting into the whole "my brother is Adam" thing. I don't want to make it seem like she rushes into her next meet-up with Kaworu just blowing it off, but I don't want to overwrite her thought process either (like I did at the beginning of "Chains"). Sigh...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:48 am

Reichu wrote:Shinji smiles nervously. “You sound like you’ve read a lot. Are you a fan? Is that why you’re asking about Misato-san? I don’t think she really likes talking about him.”

This just sounds SO like Shinji, when he is in company of Kaworu. "Words just keep coming out of my mouth ... :redface: " And yeah, the "Arts = Humanities Soul" must stay, that is exactly what Kaworu would say, flustering Shinji even further and prompting him to double down on his self-deprecation ... Fun times. ^_^

Reichu wrote:should have had her quietly freaking out at least a little, right?

Yes, definitely. I must admit, I didn't grasp the significance of that sentence either, but "ESPECIALLY personal" is quite a lot stronger than the "personal" her involvement in Second Impact would warrant. Definitely a heart-beat-skipping moment.

Regarding next chapter:  SPOILER: Show
Hm, dunno, I like the new version of chains, that should be a good yard-stick. Maybe you could just not have her think so much beforehand (Professional Misato tries to suppress the implications: "So what if he is my brother, there is more at stake here!") and then it pops up again and again in her thoughts anyways. "So what if he's my brother? He was lonely all his life, he needs some love ..." "Has he ever been touched - that way? He's going to die, so ... last chance?" "Why does he have to sparkle so much? :blush: " Gah, now I'm starting to write your story for you. :bigeyes: I'll just shut up and let myself be surprised by what you come up with. ^_^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:27 am

How has it been an entire week already? Ugh.

Well, after seven days of dragging my ass, all I've managed to do is expand "Ambivalence" into a full chapter. It's extremely bloated so maybe some parts of it will get cut down or shifted around later. Definitely not as polished as usual, but this is one of those "bite the bullet and move on" writing moments.

Chapter 13: Ambivalence (Expanded)

Misato is supposed to be losing her marbles a bit, but I feel like the one who's really losing her marbles is me, trying to write this thing.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:51 pm

Must be the time of year. Nobody seems to get things done, including me. Which makes me doubly happy that you released a new chapter. ^_^

Chapter 13: Shin Ambivalence: New Theatrical Version: One More (Final) Try: You Can (Not) Expand  SPOILER: Show
Not sure where you see the bloat. Do you have anything specific in mind which irks you? If anything, Misato's reaction to Fuyutsuki "dropping the bomb" could have been a little expanded*. I liked the chapter. :thumbsup: It is a welcome change of pace to go into the more technical details of Misato's job, Eva construction and usage, and all the other stuff. I am a sucker for technical detail, so, thats right up my alley. ^_^ Besides, the world is still turning despite Misato being completely absorbed with having found her brother. Mundane life continues, and this is a nice way to show it while foreshadowing and "info-dumping" a whole lot (the MP-Evas, for example, and what purpose they might serve). It feels kinda like a cross between episodes 20 and 21, the (relative) calm before the storm and a refresher for canon details. I'll try to read the complete story in one go again and see if that changes my impressions.

Btw., I just noticed, was her self-indulgence a synonym for masturbation? Or is my mind just constantly in the gutter? ^^

*(The additions to the first part, Misato's reaction, feels a little tacked on right now - but that might just be my impression because we talked about it beforehand. She feels a little flip-floppy, first very distressed, then completely fine at the end, but without some sort of "oh, he didn't mean it that way" moment.)

Other than that, I can only repeat myself: I thoroughly enjoyed all the details. Misato's plan to lift the restraints from the Evas seems all to obvious, yet also quite desperate (and I guess her ulterior motive is to help Kaworu, hence why she agrees to modify Unit 02, not 01). Her interactions with the crew, the little glimpses we get into her past involvement and normal duties at GEHIRN/NERV (and that she uses gun range practice to blow of steam) all flesh out the world so much more. I liked that they are conservative in their approach (our predecessors had a reason for doing things the way they did) and that that rigid mindset is hindering them (ranged weapons were pretty useless from the beginning, but were still used, etc.). Oh, and that Misato knows some things that Kaworu might not is also a nice divergence from the norm.

Regarding the Notes: I didn't find anything that stuck out as "un-military", and it was very vague (it isn't really important anyways, everybody has some form of mental image of soldiers training, going into too much detail only brings up inconsistencies/questions that don't need to be present in the readers mind).

As for her previous career at Gehirn: I guess she never enlisted as a soldier. Maybe she wanted to join the science branch at first (since that was the only way to get in at first) but ended up as part of the team responsible for coming up with pratical tactical implementations of the Evas. Eva combat is highly specialized yet versatile, from martial arts to armed squad tactics, and Gehirn probably wanted fresh minds to tackle the problem, not specialists in any other field trying to make everything fit to their preconcieved notions (plus she is the daughter of Akira, so of course, her name opens doors). I think she spent her years studying everything remotely related to Eva-combat and AT-Fields, running tactical simulations and capability assessments (the first working Eva arrived only in 2014, IIRC, so everything beforehand was guesswork based on scientific analysis and simulation bodies), coming up with rules for combined operations with the military, etc.. She got a lot to do, I think. When the change to NERV came, Misato might just have been one of many candidates from the old planning branch who changed over to the tactical division, receiving her military training then (more for character building than anything - nobody could have seriously believed that soldiers could to anything against the angels (except the military, of course: Boots on the ground and all that)). If she joined when she turned 18, she had 11 years to fill. I guess the tactical simulations the pilots train with are partly her work as well, as she is at least somewhat trained in programming.

Hah, I missed doing this. Glad that you're back. ^_^ Felt longer than a week somehow - you spoiled me with your high paced releases already. :D

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Ch.13's end notes have been fleshed out considerably, and while tidying things up I was inspired to add some new dialogue as well (search the text for "biomass").

View Original PostDerantor wrote:Hah, I missed doing this. Glad that you're back. ^_^ Felt longer than a week somehow - you spoiled me with your high paced releases already. :D

:blush:

Thank you for your prompt commentary, as always! Before I forget, do you mind if I mention you in my end notes? If it's okay with you, is there something specific you'd like to be called?

Chapter 13 (Upgraded)  SPOILER: Show
I called it "bloat" largely because I was trying to keep chapters beneath a specific word count, and I had brought Ch.13 well above that. It's a fairly arbitrary guideline, I suppose, but it's meant to function as a control upon myself. I'm not sure how well this will work moving forward. I'll find out soon!

For the Fuyutsuki section: I removed the part about Misato's heart skipping a beat. Hopefully the added text where Fuyutsuki immediately clarifies what he means by "especially personal" just eliminates the previously mentioned issue altogether.

Your observations about what the chapter adds to the narrative are very useful. They're the sorts of things that completely escape me when I'm tying myself into knots worrying about whether I'm wasting the reader's time and my own. After reading your comments, I think I appreciate the chapter a bit more. :D

Regarding "self-indulgence", your mind is not in the gutter (at least, not THIS time :3 ) -- it being a euphemism for "masturbation" is entirely supported by the text. :devil:

Really interesting write-up about Misato's possible career trajectory! Gives me plenty to think about and maybe incorporate into her characterization as well (if that's alright with you, which I assume it is). :tongue:

There's some older stuff I've probably forgotten to respond to. I'll see about catching up next time. Right now, Ch.15 beckons... :mwahaha:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Reichu wrote:Before I forget, do you mind if I mention you in my end notes?

No, I don't mind at all! On the contrary, I'd feel honored! :D Derantor is fine, if that's what you meant. Thanks for asking, even though you didn't have to. ^_^

Biomass, New Endnotes and Tangents  SPOILER: Show
Interesting connection to the spear and Armisaels physical form, while at the same time forshadowing the replica spears in the added scene. I never thought about it that way - to me, the spear always was a kind of (semi)-autonomous tool used by the FAR. That the angels are able to form their own bodies to perform similar functions never occured to me, neither did I make the connection to the double helix, and I hadn't seen the need, since their AT-field-"magic" already performs the same functions and they never had problems making physical contact. Then again, Armisael seemingly had a very specific goal in mind, and optimising his form for that purpose seems logical. Huh, these are the kind of details I spend far too much time thinking about once I notice them. Now I wonder how or if this principle applies to all the other angels. :uhh:

On to the notes, before I spend hours thinking about that. ^^

Learning angels: Well, that idea should be very obvious to you, since you mentioned it in one of the first chapters already, where Misato worries that the angels seem to be learning from one another. :wink:

Akira Fudo from Devilman? Never seen that show, just quick google, got some catching up to do.

Misato acting mad on her own: Only too relatable, including the "that's too insane to include" part. It is funny how the distinction between writer an character seems to melt sometimes, where the "internal logic", the subconcious decision-making processes of both bleed together and produce something which by definition can not be put into writing, since it isn't something "we" are truly aware of. Only the actions remain, and they don't always make sense, but they just have to happen because the character decided to do it. (That's whats making me take so long trying to write my fic. The whole Asuka/Shinji deal is like that.)

This seems to be mostly a problem for the writer (or writers like us, who have to explain everything to themselves to be internally consistent). When reading the scene with Misato, I never questioned her decision in the sense that I found it immersion-breaking. As you said, we all know those situations where we act with utter conviction but with little awareness or rationalization - and everything we come up with after is already colored by hindsight and can thus not be taken to definitely be the true reason for why we did what we did. The hard part is of course the fear of losing the reader when characters act that way, where we forget that readers just go with the flow until something really bugs them and they don't spend hours trying to make everything work, doubting themselves over and over again in the process.

Chapter 13 (Upgraded)  SPOILER: Show
Ah, ok, I thought you included some filler and failed to find it.

Fuyutsuki: Yes, that works better. Misatos panic only lasts a heartbeat here: The length of the dash. Another one of those things I hate about writing - if you wanted to mention her distress, you'd either have to insert it where the dash is, thus breaking up Fuyutsukis sentence and making the time that passes seem much longer, because the reader has to read one or two additional sentences, or mention it after he has finished, reversing the flow of time in the text, making the reader jump back while the situation is already changed again. In a movie, her eyes would just widen a little for a heartbeat and nobody has to think about it twice ...

Narrative: Ah, thank you! I thought I didn't have much to say regarding the chapter, and wasn't sure you'd find it useful.

Euphemisms: :nyao: The distraction brought by that mental image really lets one empathize with her confused state of mind while reading the rest of the chapter.

Misato's career: Steal all you like! :tongue:

Reichu wrote:Right now, Ch.15 beckons...

:emogendo: Folding my hands in anticipation.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:14 pm

Chapter 15: Acceptance is up!

This one ended up being yet another chapter digging a little more into Kaworu's mindset. Two Kaworu POV chapters in a row (with only a short Misato segment breaking them up) -- that's a first, I think.

@Derantor:

Reply to previous post  SPOILER: Show
A possible influence of the Spear upon Armisael may have popped out at me in consideration of the so-called "accumulative memory" concept, along with some wacky ideas pertaining to the spears themselves that I've been playing with. I'm not sure how much of a showing the latter will get in FBLM, but if the "sequel" materializes, then the observation "a fundamentally human entity takes on a form like the spear so that it can pierce ATFs better" will provide some valuable foreshadowing.

Yes indeed, Akira Fudo from Devilman. Hilariously enough, back when I gave Akira Katsuragi his given name, along with the attribute of "man who cries a lot", I was completely ignorant of all things Devilman -- it was a complete coincidence. It gets even funnier considering Akira Fudo is linked to the character of Ryo Asuka / Satan, who is one of the inspirations for Kaworu. Some things were simply meant to be, I guess. :tongue:

Your response to my Misato notes is spot on. I have nothing more to say because you've already said it all for me! :emogendo:

And, oh boy, if you think the mere mental image of Misato "self-indulging" is a distraction... The whole fic should be reaching critical levels of "distraction" any time now. :shifty:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:25 pm

Heh, just when I thought I'd go to bed early^^ Guess not. :tongue:

My comments are first impressions again today. I wrote them up while I was reading, to keep them as fresh as possible.

Chapter 15  SPOILER: Show
his eyes sparkling red pools of unspoken mirth.

Oh my god, you actually found a way to use "sparkling" to describe Kaworu! xD That sentence is gold, really. The whole first section just works perfectly and made me happy, got nothing else to say. Well, that was a lie.

She’s going to finish all her work nice and early today, so that when she sees Kaworu later she doesn’t have to worry about anything. It can just be her and her brother enjoying the little time together they have left. It’s so sad if she lets herself think about it that way, and there’s nothing to be gained in doing so. Tragedy is coming no matter what; she has to make her own joy before then.

I love how this is basically a microcosm of Misato's place in the story so far. "Work", as in, the survival of mankind, isn't really her first priority, Kaworu is - even though she would never admit that. She lies to herself again and thinks she will "just be spending time with her brother" - sure you will. That tragedy is coming either way is her justification for acting rash - and that mindset also absolves her of any "sins" she WILL commit with Kaworu: She has to make her own joy. It also shows three sides of her: The first two sentences is girly-excited-lovestruck Misato: Gotta do my homework to see my boyfriend/brother. But just like Kaworu isn't really that happy, her darkness still lingers in the third and fourth sentences: Poor, hurt Misato, who never truly left that survival capsule her father put her in. The last bit is Serious-Buisiness-Misato: She takes action regardless of the circumstances and forges her own way. The composition of the sentences mirrors the structure of the first section of the chapter as well.

And then a bit of mood-whiplash in the next section. It makes me think that poor Kaworu has got no clue how great the impression is he is making on Misato - at least he doesn't seem to do it intentionally (and I now understand the Aspie-comment you made earlier, which I didn't really see in him until now, strangely), while Misato assumes he did. I always dread writing (or reading) these sections, where the fish-out-of-water is introduced to normal human concepts like "Dating" or "Meeting for dinner", as they very easily end up awkward and cringy - this is not. While Kaworu's insecurity and inexperience is thoroughly portrayed and his new buddy is a little more open than normal, it doesn't feel over the top. Anyways, this section made me sad. I think I am finally starting to see Kaworu's more human side more easily.

And then it gets even sadder on the bus and in the small towns he visits. A literal alien on borrowed time playing child for a day. Except that the sun is not as bright and the grass not as green as it should be, and his shadow is far too big for his tiny frame.

The big hook for the next chapters is of course the reveal what exactly he needs Misato for - which I only understood so easily because of your posts in the MP-Eva-Soul-thread, I must admit.

Yeah, a really good chapter. For me it was needed to finally form a real emotional connection with Kaworu. Maybe I am doing Misato a misservice by mostly seeing her as the excited girl here, but on the other hand, she can not be dreary and joyless all the time.

Regarding the notes: No, leave the first section as is. Apparently I was right in my initial impressions of Misato here, and the hunch that Kaworu didn't intentionally flirt with her turned out to be true as well. Her turning more and more into an hormonal teenager is just a natural trajectory for her, given her circumstances and how the story developed so far, especially since Kaworu has that effect on people, as evidenced by Shinji. Misato being highly emotional is also the only way I can see her going along with Kaworu's plan, and her being horny is his best chance to get somewhere - even if that might not be entirely pleasant for him.

Huh, would I be right to assume that that (wink) was directed at me? ^^

Previous post  SPOILER: Show
The Spears: God damnit, stop teasing me with even more intriguing ideas! :tongue: And yeah, funny how some things just connect - and accidental connections are the best!

Ah, I was eager to know how you'd handle their first encounter of that kind for a long time. :devil:

And with that, I wish you and myself a good night!

Return to “Fanfiction”