Release Date: January 23, 2021 [DELAYED]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Release Date: June 27, 2020

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:54 pm

They could have delayed since the beginning of the emergency, but they didn't. Also the marketing is slowly taking place, so I still hope it comes out the 27th of June, hoping for this damn thing to be over.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:45 pm

∆ Yes, I feel the same.
Though with the situation Spain is in (society as a whole is frozen) my main concern is for this to be over. Who knows, if we're lucky things will look different by june.

Wouldn't a trailer be great? To distract us? It probably won't be coming out anytime soon though. Have no doubt a release pushback is being considered.

Poor Anno/khara btw. Bad timing.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:56 am

Well, Japan hasn't even starting worrying about cancelations in April, much less cancellations during the summer months. I think it's best to take this one month at a time.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:39 am

https://twitter.com/eva_information/status/1239401527954964480?s=19
Seems the release date still stands.

Don't know if/what measures Japan is taking. But they should be careful if they want to save the summer (and lives...).
I did not expect to be locked up at home last tuesday. This happens quickly, both the spread and the measures.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 am

Japan is in the awkward position of hosting the Summer 2020 Olympics and they refuse to close unless absolutely necessary. The Olympics is dictating a lot of their actions because they have the worlds attention and that carries down to other decisions. Frankly, I see no way in which Japan doesn't cancel the Olympics and puts everything on lockdown. Really the Olympics should be cancelled and rescheduled for 2021 or 2022 to be treated as a global celebration of overcoming the virus. I think once Japan starts really ramping up testing next week their numbers are going to skyrocket.

If Japan cancels or delays the Olympics everything else will quickly follow. In about six days the US just went from "everything is fine" to most things getting shut down and just right the ENTIRE theatrical market is going dark until at least June. Hell, A Quiet Place Part II spent their entire marketing budget before they pulled their release. Theaters in the US are closing for now and not even a $200 million costing Marvel movie can change that.

And really Japan should lockdown and begin severe social distancing now.

Japan has the oldest population in the world with about 32% of the country over the age of 60. Scientists haven't uncovered the factors of what makes someone a target for this - science moves slow and this outbreak has been insanely fast and the scientific community have been amazing these past few months at what they've discovered - but one thing that is clear is Covid-19 is especially dangerous for older demographics. Italy has the second oldest population on the world and Covid-19 is a monster for them. Japan NEEDS to immediately start working to flatten the curve.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 am

Well said, especially that there's yet another scenario possible. Imagine that pandemics is already contained till July, but then the virus outbreaks again because of the Olympics. I cannot imagine how Japanese government could handle such PR disaster without losing their faces before the whole world community.
JUSTICE & MERCY

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:04 am

The best advice at present is that social distancing and isolation should be maintained until a vaccine is available, i.e. something like 18 months, plus time for bulk production.

People will start working out what activities can be continued with sensible separation - not everything has to stop dead.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am

For now, 100 days to 3.0+1.0.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:09 pm

As it's a film, the release will delayed if cinemas in Japan get closed down as they have in much of the world. Those initial screenings are a large part of the income to be made.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 am

Toho owns their own cinemas, so I’m not sure how that relationship effects whether or not they shut down. American cinemas are separate from movie studios, so they don’t have much of an incentive to stay open beyond selling food. Sure, after a few weeks the cinemas might keep percentages of movie tickets sold, but their mindset is still closer to a restaurant than it is a movie studio in that regard. AMC doesn’t have several months-long movie projects that need to see a return on investment, for example. Toho has several projects coming down the pipeline, some of them expensive, all of them needing a return on months worth of investment. That could effect their likelihood to shut down outside of a government mandate.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:40 pm

∆ Would be really bad PR to stay open regardless of such a mandate. And I doubt many people would go with fear of Corona.
Let's hope Japan takes serious measures NOW and this might be solved by june, who knows.

Also, we are three months away from the supposed release. When's a trailer coming? :0 I need it.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:03 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
Also, we are three months away from the supposed release. When's a trailer coming? :0 I need it.

I think mid-april would be a good time for a release.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:56 am

∆ Normally I would say that it would come out with the new Detective Conan film april 17, but I doubt that movie is releasing that day.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:42 am

For all the talk about this movie being delayed, Japan just lifted the state of emergency in Hokkaido where the country was the most severely hit. The spread of the virus seems to be reduced in the country because of the measures being taken now, and considering that most movies and the like are still going ahead, I doubt a late June release is in much danger right now. Even the Doraemon movie that is getting delayed is only being pushed back to August.

From what I've seen, I'd be more worried if this was a European or American movie where governments are still getting their shit together, and the virus has spread widely. For now though, not seeing any thing that suggests that 3.0+1.0 is danger of delay. A lot can still happen between now and then, but I'm not so doom and gloom yet.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:34 pm

Yeah I don't wanna spread anything negative, but I'm seeing all sorts of predictions and who knows how this will develop, so I'll just wait and be hopeful and excited.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:23 pm

Dick Pound*, one of the leading members of the Veteran International Olympic Committee, just told USA Today that the Olympics will be cancelled and likely be delayed to Summer 2021. They have to work out all the details - hence the committee's announcement yesterday' of "We'll make a decision in the next four weeks" - but the ceremonies won't be starting July 24th. They just need to announce their plans and make the Official announcement.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2020/03/23/olympics-2020-ioc-member-tokyo-games-postponed-dick-pound-coronavirus/2899848001/

The Olympic Games have been cancelled before during World War I and World War II (interestingly Tokyo was supposed to host the Summer Games of 1940 but didn't for obvious reasons) but this is the first time they've ever been delayed.

Once the Olympics move I imagine the Japanese government is going to drastically alter their response to this pandemic.

*Yes, he has a funny name.

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:12 pm

The Olympics are an International Event, Eva 3.0+1.0 is "just" a movie. The Olympics would have brought people from all around the world, with the risk of a spread of the Contagion. Surely the Government is going to do more for the ill, but I don't think Eva will be deleyed. Or at least, I hope Not.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Canada started the ball rolling by announcing that they would not attend an Olympics held this year.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Postponing the Olympics has nothing to do with Eva. Japan still has one of the lower amount of cases, and they're still set to send people back to school in April.

The Olympics are an international event bringing in the entire world, and that would create a high possibility of attendees bringing in the virus and spreading it. Eva doesn't need the entire planet to come to Tokyo for it open on schedule.

Things can change drastically over the next few months, but saying it's most likely going to be delayed when the evidence for it is virtually zero right now, and seems to be based on the situation in Europe and America, is jumping to conclusions at this point.

Wait it out, it will happen or it'll be delayed, but that'll take a huge spike in Japanese cases that persists into June. Seeing as Japan doesn't appear to have the high percentage of dumb fucks who would rather get drunk and party than help contain a pandemic as the West, I think Japan has a good chance of keeping this thing down.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:57 pm

Now all Japan gotta prepare for are all the Gaikoku hito Weebs flying into the country to watch Shin Eva.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”