From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderator: Board Staff

Derantor
Embryo

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:54 pm

That you are one lucky guy. I rarely dream, and I've never dreamt of Eva, outside of one very short scene, and that wasn't very happy.

It surely sounds very interesting. I think it would make a great fourth movie (or fanfiction), but not one I could write. It requires a really ... dreamlike approach without much exposition. Like, why is Shinji left alone, when the girl next to him (which could either be Asuka or one of the Rei clones) is forcefully removed? I guess he is needed for the Wunder somehow, but why work in construction, then? All those things don't matter in a dream, you just accept them.

You should give it a try. It sounds like a nice short story, an epilogue to the Rebuilds of sorts (what is the PC-term for those around here? NTE? NTR?). From the sound of it, both Mari and Asuka are dead, or otherwise "gone", while WILLE seems to have stayed mostly the same. Maybe the girl is somebody completely new, another pilot, drafted in the war against NERV, now discarded, as the new enemy is the planet itself. Anyways, I think it will be more of an elogy than an epilogue. It sounds rather dreary.

amitakartok
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:16 am

Eh, I don't know. I already have a major ongoing Eva fanfic project, though interest in it is so little that I'm genuinely doubting whether it's worth continuing. I have a lot of stuff for it, it's just that the plot is so slow-going (almost 200k words and we're only at Israfel, with Shinji not even having appeared yet) that I can't dump that stuff into the middle without massive spoilers. Hell, a few weeks ago I began putting together a universe bible to keep my ramblings coherent (as I tend to forget a lot of things) and the background historical information alone is nine and a half pages without even going into the timeframe the Eva pilots were alive in!
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Derantor
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:41 pm

I've been playing around with a continuation fic idea for months now, starting with a quick A/S relationship and moving further and further away from them to explore the possible implications of Instrumentality on humanity as a whole. Trouble is I had their relationship starting with physical interacton (so, sex and violence first, because hormones and confused teenagers just do that stuff, and it's only cliché because it's true) and going from there, evolving into this mututal crutch/deep connection thing where they start to see the other as an extension of their self-image, their Shadow, to be exact, and working off of that, eventually seperating because they fear the obvious downward spiral this will put them in while ultimate not being able to live apart either, but I don't think people will take the story seriously if they don't spend 3-10 years in therapy first before attempting to hold hands.

The meat of the story would have been how society rebuilds into something quite different from anything that came before. Given the sharing of information and forced introspection of Instrumentality, but still faced with the dire prospect of having to survive I imagined an authoritarian government arising after a period of not very intense strife, which, contrary to everything seen before, does not try to hide information. Instead, they flood every news channel with so many details that it basically becomes white noise while they are still able to silence those who come too close to the truth. "We force nobody to believe anything. The evidence is out there, look at it yourself. Oh, btw, those "Third Impact Truthers" are really fanatical and dangerous, we have to be vigilant."

The A/S relationship is important only insofar as I wanted to show that, despite Annos hopeful messages (if you believe they are there in the first place), those two are definitely fucked. Excuse the strong language, but in any kind of realistic scenario they are as well known, famous and notorious as Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Jesus and God combined, with all that that implies. Best case scenario: A golden cage to live in, constant surveillance, being forced to be mouthpieces for the government under threat of just being sent somewhere (prison, mental hospital, death) otherwise. I think they will just wither away. Asuka will not take well to being controlled in that way while Shinji will just be consumed by guilt. Coming to terms with yourself is all well and good but it can only happen if you are actually given the chance, and Anno did his best denying his main characters just that. Or maybe I underestimate them and they can take as much abuse as Asuka takes in "The Way out is Through". I doubt it though. Growing up in a peaceful society creates weak characters. If it is enough to take Eva away from Asuka to break her, the first rape will surely do the same.

Anyways, besides the middle part everything has been done already I think. Just throwing this out here to see if somebody has an opinion on it.

Return to “Fanfiction”