Any chance of watching EVA 3.0+1.0 in the premiere in Japan but with english subtitles?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Pshinji
Embryo

Any chance of watching EVA 3.0+1.0 in the premiere in Japan but with english subtitles?

•      
  •      

Postby Pshinji » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:39 am

Hi, I´m new around here (although I have read the forum countless times without being registered).

I plan on visiting Japan (probably Tokyo) this summer and I'm thinking about going there during the premiere of EVA 3.0+1.0 and watch the movie on the big screen. Obviously it doesn't make sense to see a movie in Japanese if I don't have a clue about the language, but I hope there is a cinema that plays the movie with English subtitles.

I know is not common to display a movie in foreign language respect to the country that produced it, but as Japan has really big cities I thought that maybe there is a cinema that usually plays newly released anime or Japanese films with English subtitles.

So, does anybody know a cinema in Japan that could play EVA 3.0+1.0 with English subtitles?

Thanks all of you! Cheers!

Pd: Spanish subtitles would be even better, but I know it is asking too much.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Any chance of watching EVA 3.0+1.0 in the premiere in Japan but with english subtitles?

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:09 pm

I don't know what they will do, but there are two things that would be in your favor. The first is that the english translation will be done by Khara itself, as it is the case with 3.0. As the first ten minutes or so of the movie that was released last summer was translated by them, it would make sense that the rest of the film will be as well. The second is that there are now special glasses that were created so that someone will see subtitles while any Japanese person would watch the film like he or she normally would. However, this is specualtion and there is no solid evidence as of yet they will do this in Japan. If they do, they'll say so in the next few months. So to answer your question, I would say maybe but don't count on it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Any chance of watching EVA 3.0+1.0 in the premiere in Japan but with english subtitles?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:30 pm

The Weathering With You bluray, which comes out in may, will include English subtitles. Sort of unrelated, but I think it indicates what is maybe becoming a trend.

I think it might be possible, but don't be too hopeful about it to avoid disappointment. Alternatively, maybe the film will be playing in theaters in other countries soon after
SPOILER: Show
which would make the internet a spoiler mine, but I'd still be happy for the people wanting to watch it at a cinema.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:06 am

Let's not forget Khara specifically made an English version for movie poster. They are definitely aware of Eva's popularity overseas and they might want to market towards that.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 pm

Perhaps the revenue EVA generated on Netflix might be a factor
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:16 pm

I would be very hyped if it was the case, but I'm not counting on it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm still foolishly holding out for a stateside release sometime this summer.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37 pm

Don't expect a stateside release in the summer. Toho & Toei are going to be focused solely on a domestic release and Hollywood releases are likely already guaranteed to have all the best screens already booked for runs of Ghostbuster reboots and Kevin Hartand Ryan Reynolds doing lame live action versions of Wreck-It Ralphs through August.

I do predict there will be some kind of run in the US about three months after the Japanese release in the best case scenario. Possibly early October before the Fall Season starts getting busy with the major.

KurisuNimii
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KurisuNimii » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:21 pm

I was thinking the same thing, i want to visit Tokyo next year
and i really want see this movie there
Kaworu, pls come back in the 3.0 + 1.0

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Given everything going on with Covid19 and all, will it be released theatrically at all or to DVD/streaming?
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:05 pm

View Original PostMirrorUniverseAsuka wrote:Given everything going on with Covid19 and all, will it be released theatrically at all or to DVD/streaming?

Probably not. I'd say a 2021 release is more likely than that.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:40 am

View Original PostMirrorUniverseAsuka wrote:Given everything going on with Covid19 and all, will it be released theatrically at all or to DVD/streaming?

The movie will be in theaters when COVID is under control I think, so probably next year at some point.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:21 pm

To answer OP's question: "Subtitle glasses" have been a recent thing at musical showings in Japan, apparently, so maybe movie theaters will follow a similar lead? :chinscratch:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KurisuNimii
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KurisuNimii » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:24 pm

if anyone knows if the movie will have English subtitles plss let us know
Kaworu, pls come back in the 3.0 + 1.0

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:36 am

0.000000001%

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:45 am

If covid doesn't prevent us, we will be in Tokyo between 16 and 20 may anything interesting we could see (related EVA)?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”