Rei is Shinji's sister (...not!)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Rei is Shinji's sister (...not!)

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Where does that come from!?

Yesterday I was having lunch and I overheard a girl talking about anime with her companions... When she mentioned Evangelion I started to pay attention too, dare I say, to see how much she understood the series (yeah, I put myself on top of a Eva high ground! Judge if you want :tongue:)

Thing is, it was all going well: Evan-jelly-on, the robots that defend the humanity against entities named Angels and that can only be piloted by motherless children. I'll take she was trying to be spoiler-free by saying that instead of specifying that the pilot's mother's soul was supposed to be in the Eva.

But then she hit the discordant note: when describing the pilots she said -literally and without possibility of ambiguity- that Rei is Shinji's sister... I know Evangelion is not by any means straightforward, but unlike the rather obscure fact that Rei's soul was Lilith's, we never receive info that suggests Rei is nothing other than a clone of Yui (or at least 90% Yui and a bit of Lilith).

Thing is, this is not the first time I've heard this misconception: some years ago I heard another person telling the exact same thing when explaining Eva.

Have you heard this before? What do you suppose causes it?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Akko
Adam

Re: Rei is Shinji's sister (...not!)

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 pm

A clone shares genetics with the original just like a kid shares genetics with the mother, but that doesn't mean clone = kid because if Rei was Shinji's sister, she would also share genetics with Gendo and that's pretty unlikely if I do say so myself
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:08 pm

To put it another way, Rei being related to only one of Shinji's parents makes her his half sister.

Alternatively, being a clone of his mother, she is in a sense his mother. And indeed the series plays with that by having Shinji remark that she is "like a mother".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:25 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:To put it another way, Rei being related to only one of Shinji's parents makes her his half sister.
And indeed the series plays with that by having Shinji remark that she is "like a mother".

I though about it that way too, but given than Rei is almost certainly over 50% Yui -in addition to, as you say, Shinji's remark AND Naoko's reaction, Gendo's attitude and photo elimination- I always though of her as a full clone...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Rei is the name Yui and Gendo would have given their child if it was female, so that's probably where "Rei is Shinji's sister" comes from. (Mostly. I showed NGE to someone with zero foreknowledge and they guessed immediately that Rei was Shinji's sister.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Being that Rei is a clone of Yui and shares most of her DNA, wouldn't that make her Yui's sort-of twin sister instead? So in a sense, Rei is actually Shinji's aunt.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:18 pm

She's half sister, half mom, half aunt, and half great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Grandmotherfather.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:43 pm

I think you're missing a few 'great's, matey.
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:49 pm

Fix it for me, too lazy to care.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 pm

To add to this bit:

View Original PostReichu wrote:Rei is the name Yui and Gendo would have given their child if it was female, so that's probably where "Rei is Shinji's sister" comes from.

Evangelion 1.0 especially hits you over the head with this, while NGE didn't have the implication until Episode 20. Of course, the situation is, uhh, messier than that (Lilith's soul + Yui's genetic material), so I think some folks consider Rei is Shinji's sister as the "simplest" explanation.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:05 am

Rei is essentially his sister, seeing how theyre related socially and genetically. (though they arent exactly close, Rei is a peer to him)

in the literal sense though, reis a clone of his mom

i guess it an interpretation thing, and seeing how things are, a fair interpretation at that

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:49 pm

View Original PostCowboy Unit-03 wrote:Rei is essentially his sister, seeing how theyre related socially and genetically.

I disagree on both.
Socially, they are just classmates. Rei doesn't live with Shinji, hasn't grown up with him, and they generally don't behave like siblings would.
Genetically, Rei is definitely not his sister, as that would mean that half of her genes are from Gendo, which is just not the case. If anything, half of her genes are more along the lines of "generic human blank slate", with the other half being Yui. The closest comparison genetically would probably be his aunt
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Rei isn't part Lilith on a genetic level. She's always described as a "copy" of Yui. It's similar language as what's used to describe the Evas' relationship with Adam.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:00 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Rei isn't part Lilith on a genetic level.

This is were I think it gets tricky, because Rei is seen using an AT Field (and a powerful one)... Could that be done only with human DNA?
I know that AT Fields are generated by the soul, but can an, arguably human body sustain and AT field that powerful?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 pm

Rei's body is probably made from Lilith's, meaning she would be genetically a Lilin but compositionally the same as Evas, Seeds, and Adam's Children. These are all made from some sort of exotic "high-energy" variety of matter, which logically would lend itself to the resident soul being able to generate a more powerful ATF in turn.

A possibly useful observation here is that, when Lilith takes on Rei's form, the bridge describes the resultant being as being both pattern blue and being "human" (as opposed to "Angel", and therefore, in this context, meaning "Lilin" specifically). Compare to Kaworu, who despite his Lilin appearance resulted in a Magi analysis of "Pattern Blue" and "Angel", despite actually being at least part Lilin genetically. This discrepancy doesn't make much sense to me unless the Magi are set to seek at least some "Angel DNA" in the target, and designate any match (which it hasn't already been told to ignore on account of being an Eva) as "Angel". Kaworu, due to one of his parents being Adam, would have satisfied this parameter; Lilith-Rei, assuming she reproduced Rei's body to the cellular level, would not, because Rei's body is just a Yui clone and has no "Angel DNA".
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Rei's body is probably made from Lilith's, meaning she would be genetically a Lilin but compositionally the same as Evas, Seeds, and Adam's Children. These are all made from some sort of exotic "high-energy" variety of matter, which logically would lend itself to the resident soul being able to generate a more powerful ATF in turn.

Point taken. But anyhow, Gendo is most definitely not in there - and with the light matter fuckery, talking about the degree of genetic relationship becomes complicated anyhow.
A possibly useful observation here is that, when Lilith takes on Rei's form, the bridge describes the resultant being as being both pattern blue and being "human" (as opposed to "Angel", and therefore, in this context, meaning "Lilin" specifically). Compare to Kaworu, who despite his Lilin appearance resulted in a Magi analysis of "Pattern Blue" and "Angel", despite actually being at least part Lilin genetically. This discrepancy doesn't make much sense to me unless the Magi are set to seek at least some "Angel DNA" in the target, and designate any match (which it hasn't already been told to ignore on account of being an Eva) as "Angel". Kaworu, due to one of his parents being Adam, would have satisfied this parameter; Lilith-Rei, assuming she reproduced Rei's body to the cellular level, would not, because Rei's body is just a Yui clone and has no "Angel DNA".

That is really fascinating, I didn't think of that aspect before. I always assumed it was because all of the other Angels were offsprings of Adam and as such different enough for Lilith to not fall in the same blood pattern
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:06 pm

^This. Lillith would register as more human like.

To me the whole point of Rei's character has always been inextricably tied to her ultimately being her own person regardless of the 'source material' (which seems to be backed by the recently translated EVA 2 material)and to equate her with either is to reduce all her nuanced detailed characterization, struggles and relationships sprinkled in over all the episodes to just that reveal

You might say that she's got no relatives at all since she was artificially created, there's the angel component etc. and even if she was a 100% clone of Yui that would make her more like a twin so like a long lost aunt than a sister if you wanted to be hung up on the technicalities. But in the end human relationships aren't fully defined or dictated by those.

One thing that really bothers me about this is how "sister" just gets throws around as a label meaning "person you like but don't want to fuck" like noo a sibling bond is actually a specific type of relationship. To all you only children, the closest thing would be a childhood friend. Like it's based specifically on how you've seen this person pooping in their pyjamas or trying to snatch your toys etc. so there's no real distance and you know all the embarassing secrets and you've got insider jokes... this is really not the case with Shinji and Rei at all they never once lived together, he never uses her first name.

Like ppl just slap that label on there to tell the world that they most definitely don't ship it, but it's not there in the text. Maybe they could potentially slip into that sort of dynamic sometime in the future, perhaps as a reaction to the reveal. But as to what's actually there during the timeframe of the show and movies - they're co-workers, classmates, special friends that played some pivotal role in a part of their lives, certainly comrades. Human relationships really have a lot more dimension than just the "want to fuck/don't want to fuck" dichotomy.

The closest thing to a sibling-like element there would really be through Gendo who is the closest thing Rei has to a parental figure, so there's that shared bond a bit of a lowkey rivalry and a complex slightly different relation with each of the two etc. He probably thinks of them as his kids, but that's only semi tangential to how they think of each other (or, indeed, of him.)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”