An analysis I spent 3 years on: understanding Eva, or the gospel of a new century

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Protohipster
Embryo

An analysis I spent 3 years on: understanding Eva, or the gospel of a new century

•      
  •      

Postby Protohipster » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:24 pm

No abstract discussions, comparisons to philosophers, psychologists, religions, etc. Just intensive analysis relying mostly on cinematography and motifs, further interpreted by Anno’s own life and the series’ context. For those willing to invest an hour in an intensive anime analysis video, hope you enjoy! Criticism is appreciated!
https://youtu.be/pjngWJ3MBQ4

LPeyrani
Embryo

Re: An analysis I spent 3 years on: understanding Eva, or the gospel of a new century

•      
  •      

Postby LPeyrani » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:58 am

Perfect X-Mas surprise present, thank you. I'm going to watch it right now.

LPeyrani
Embryo

Re: An analysis I spent 3 years on: understanding Eva, or the gospel of a new century

•      
  •      

Postby LPeyrani » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:43 am

Well, the contents are good, but there is a problem with editing (IMO). The rhythm is both fast and flat, which makes it kind of difficult to follow after a while. I think it would be nice if you slowed the pace down (consider pausing!), used less layers simultaneously and (I know this would be a lot of work) sometimes showed your face as you're talking, so that lip-reading (and facial emotion expression recognition) helped in following your train of thoughts.
Anyway, your analysis is deep and you do posit issues I never considered. You did a lot of work, and you deserve a loud
CONGRATULATIONS!

PS: where did you find reference to a nazi eugenetist named "Konrad Lawrene"? Aren't you referring to Konrad Lorenz, the most important ethologist in history and winner of the Nobel Prize? If that's so, go correct that bit because it greatly reduces your persuasiveness as lecturer.

Protohipster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Protohipster » Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:28 am

View Original PostLPeyrani wrote:Well, the contents are good, but there is a problem with editing (IMO). The rhythm is both fast and flat, which makes it kind of difficult to follow after a while. I think it would be nice if you slowed the pace down (consider pausing!), used less layers simultaneously and (I know this would be a lot of work) sometimes showed your face as you're talking, so that lip-reading (and facial emotion expression recognition) helped in following your train of thoughts.
Anyway, your analysis is deep and you do posit issues I never considered. You did a lot of work, and you deserve a loud
CONGRATULATIONS!

PS: where did you find reference to a nazi eugenetist named "Konrad Lawrene"? Aren't you referring to Konrad Lorenz, the most important ethologist in history and winner of the Nobel Prize? If that's so, go correct that bit because it greatly reduces your persuasiveness as lecturer.

Thanks for the kind words and criticism! It means a lot for me that you watched my intensive hour long anime analysis and are sharing your thoughts in detail :D

Yes, it’s Konrad Lorenz. I agree the comparison of him with Kiel presented by Anno is distasteful and inappropriate for the contributions he’s made, despite his Nazi past. I was hesitant about that bit of analysis until I found the direct reference in the Proposal (the document containing the series’ original plans), where the name used in it was Konrad Lawrence. As you know, in the actual series, it became Kiel Lorenz. The last name changed from Lawrence to Lawrene as I was exporting the video for some reason (possibly because the video was demanding on my computer, causing the 1 frame visual glitches in various places). I have the proposal with all of the other citations I used in a document linked in the description.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Cool!
I will check it out.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”