Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion 3.0+1.0: 2020

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:57 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Japan writes dates in YYYY/MM/DD format, so maybe 2020/02/02, which would make it the same both backwards and forwards. (20200202)

I choose to believe this.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:51 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Japan writes dates in YYYY/MM/DD format, so maybe 2020/02/02, which would make it the same both backwards and forwards. (20200202)

No way the movie will be released on a Sunday.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm still thinking its coming out late 2020, not early 2020.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Here's my bet on Shin Eva release date:
July 29th, 2020 or July 19th, 2020

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:38 pm

^ Remember, those dates would be right before and right during the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The Olympics often cut drastically into cinema attendance when they're going on & even more in the cities in which they're held. The question is would Toho/Toei want to risk losing some viewers in the first week or two when the biggest market in Japan is fully preoccupied with hosting the biggest international sporting event in the world?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm

My bet is that Shin Eva will be released sometime (shortly) after the Olympics. Toho will probably get more eyes on adverts during the sports stuff that way. I’m actually kind of expecting Olympic-themed Eva Character posters, merch, etc. TV spots will run rampant as foreigners are stuck in hotel rooms watching Japanese TV at night, it’ll be amazing.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Obviously the film will come out january 1, 2020.
It's almost here bois.

SPOILER: Show
I'd say some weeks before the Olympics. Use the general Japan hype, and have foreigners watch the movie during the event. But have the release not be competed with by setting it before the Olympics.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

distopia
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby distopia » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:^ Remember, those dates would be right before and right during the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. The Olympics often cut drastically into cinema attendance when they're going on & even more in the cities in which they're held. The question is would Toho/Toei want to risk losing some viewers in the first week or two when the biggest market in Japan is fully preoccupied with hosting the biggest international sporting event in the world?

Yes, you're right but I don't think Olympics will affect Japanese viewers and specifically Japanese Eva fans.
Anyway, maybe Khara/Toei/Toho will want to keep the spotlight on Shin Eva so they'll choose a different release date.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:49 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:No way the movie will be released on a Sunday.

That would be kinda funny considering Sundays in Japan are most people's day off. Some schools still have Saturday classes. (You'd see the "half day Saturdays" depicted in '90's shows school life scenes, like in Eva and Sailormoon.)

Voice work currently happening as it is, I think the first half of 2020 (Spring-Summer) wouldn't be surprising...I could see the theatrical Japanese release as a Summer post-Olympics film.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am

April 1st is Monday. Think they'll post any kind of news or updates on the Eva site or their social media channels? We're still too far out for a release date but I'd think we'd get a key visual or something any time now. So far they've just shown that sketchy poster and the New Unit 02 doodle.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:50 am

Not getting my hopes up personally but it would be cool.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 am

^That's the best attitude.
It would be nice but I'm not going to be waiting with bated breath.

... Though if nothing does happen I will circle July 29th on my calendar.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:19 pm

^What's July 29?

I'm not really expecting anything either. Khara can post whatever news whenever now that they're so active on social media. But you never know what else might pop up. Who could have predicted the Godzilla vs Evangelion campaign? :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Since the release of Shin Godzilla (July 29, 2016) there's been a pretty big announcement regarding the last Eva movie every end of July.
Pretty sure it was July 29, 2017 that the official website upgraded with the current poster image.
Then if it hadn't of been leaked early July 2018 was when the first official teaser was officially release online & 2020 was announced as the release year.

Just a thing I've noticed.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:45 pm

Huh. I didn't notice that observation before, but I agree some official website update around then's likely, at least ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:59 pm

Wonder Festival Summer seems to be the event khara has chosen to market the movie. The 2017 edition was on July 30th (Sunday) and the first poster was uploaded on the 29th at midnight. The 2018 edition was on July 29th (another Sunday) and the teaser was uploaded on YouTube on the 26th.

This year's event should be on July 28th so I'm expecting something to be released between July 25 and July 27.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:01 pm

^That's the best attitude.

Evangelion has taught me this over the last months lol.

And yeah, 99% sure that we'll get something july and a new lamp illustration by Anno august.

Depending on when the film comes out in 2020 the next marketing thing could be juicy.
I have also thought that maybe we get another specifically made for marketing animation like the Mari one (maybe specifying a release window).
I love Mari but I really wanna see one of our main guys if that's the case. Asuka would be awesome. Or...Asuka, Rei and Shinji walking through the desert (if it's true that these would be supposed to represent sequences of the film).

In any case just seeing these characters would be so exciting after all these years.

Deep down I'm hoping for early 2020 and trying to fight that expectation.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am

For what it’s worth, ANN has Megumi Hayashibara credited as voicing Rei Ayanami, EVA 1 (Berserker), and Pen Pen for Shin Eva specifically.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycl ... hp?id=8423

For comparison, she was only credited as Rei Ayanami in Eva Q, since that’s all she did for that film.

I am unsure if ANN is simply making an educated guess based on her past work in the franchise, but it'd be weird to anyone who’s actually seen Eva Q to just assume that Pen Pen would be in its sequel. (Although, it’d be nice to see Pen Pen return.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:56 am

Khara hasn't released credits on their own Eva site. ANN is making shit up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 am

Reichu wrote:ANN is making shit up.

Disappointed, but not surprised :irked:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”