Anybody else notice the weird sounds in 3.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Enscripture
Embryo

Anybody else notice the weird sounds in 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby Enscripture » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:56 am

Hello! Just registered, LOOOONG time lurker. So in 3.0, there's 3 times where some weird sound happens in 3.0. First, is when Angel 12 starts roaring after pulling the spears, and you can hear Mark.06 repeating SOMETHING until Rei chops it's head off and it keeps repeating over and over. It keeps saying the same thing up until that point. Mari later, when she jumps at Unit-13 her Evangelion Unit-08 "roars" but it sounds like slowed down vocals. And when Unit-13, "starts the ritual" right before Fourth Impact, the high-pitched "singing" sound? I think it's SOMETHING.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:22 am

You're probably looking at Eva's long, valiant history of using stock sound effects. (Even one time when we thought we'd found significant backward dialogue in 2.0, it turned out to just be something from a sound effect bank.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 pm

Wait, the backward quoting from the Dummy System activation was just a fluke?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Wait, the backward quoting from the Dummy System activation was just a fluke?

It seems so, yeah.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:42 pm

I've mentioned this in the past and had it dismissed by a member, but I'll bring up my key points again:

I'm aware that there is plenty of recycled sound bytes in Eva but that is not necessarily the point of what I'm going into. At all 3 points where there was the "scream", we were witnessing foreign technology in the Eva series.
  • 13 activates
  • Angel that Wunder later destroys burns through a Wunder ship
  • Asuka is attacked by tesseract defense system

There are some other similarities as well: all 3 events were mentioned to have some sort of light-related property to them(again, back to the foreign technology point) and all 3 events had a sort of trigger in them:
  • 13 activates after a whole slew of unexplained events. However, 13's hidden arms burst through it's chest armor when Mari fires special AT-field rounds, which 13 for some reason absorbs(to her surprise, 13 simply does not have an ATF). This is an important trigger, because without 13's other 2 limbs, it would not have removed the Spears from Lilith.
  • When the Wunder activates, the Angel changes it's attack patterns. It's a reaction.
  • Tesseract Shinji eliminates the tesseract's defense system upon hearing Asuka scream

They all follow the colour scheme too.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:55 am

Well, that "scream" is the sound effect Khara chose for "weird neo-NERV/SEELE tech in action", that's all.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:59 am

... again, I am not stating that the sound effects are, individually, of any interest, but the fact that the same 3 sound effects are paired together, during the functioning of important technology not adequately explained to the viewers, might be of interest.

Enscripture
Embryo

Re: Anybody else notice the weird sounds in 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby Enscripture » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:58 am

I figured out one of the weird sounds! When Unit-13 flies through the pole and floats above the pyramid, it cuts to Shinji saying whats going on, then you see Unit-13 as a star and a weird screeching sound is heard. Probably a recycled sound byte, but that screeching sound sounds like the exact sound used in Persona 5 for the train screeching to a halt

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Anybody else notice the weird sounds in 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:12 pm

That screech is from Ramiel’s attack sound effects from Eva Jo, which was also reused from a space monster screech in DieBuster.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”