Do you guys think that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will bring any kind of merchandising in the U.S.?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

Do you guys think that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will bring any kind of merchandising in the U.S.?

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:00 pm

I mean, for the show, movies, and Rebuild movies, there was quite a bit of merchandising (though more in Japan than in America, there was still some around here and there.)

Basically, I'm asking this:

1. Do you think promotional merchandise for the movie will come the U.S.? If so, when? (Personally, I think that when the film gets dubbed or something, they'll release it later to create hype.)

2. What kind of merchandise do you think Evangelion 4.0 will bring to the U.S.?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I've been trying to get my hands on some of the older merchandise for the original shows (though I was in luck by picking up Pen-Pen and Rei Ayanami Plushes in a Too Cool not far from me.) I guess I'm just curious what you guys think. :D
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Do you guys think that Evangelion 4.0 (or 3.0+1.0) will bring any kind of merchandising in the U.S.?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:22 pm

There definitely will be merchandising, I'm even willing to say that there will be a ton thereof. In particular there has been a suspicious lack of Eva action figures lately, my guess is that the manufacturers are saving up for the release of the movie (and going hand in hand with that their NDA about the new designs to expire) to release a lot of them when the hype is strongest and the fans have been sort of starved of Eva figures. Especially looking at Revos and Robot Damashiis here - I'm positive that there will be a ton of them once the movie hits theaters
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Do you guys think that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will bring any kind of merchandising in the U.S.?

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Relevant: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/444 ... -card-game

There's also been the long awaited release of ANIMA. I remember back in 2015 some guy on reddit was halfway through translating it (into Spanish) but then he had the brilliant idea to tweet about it to Yamashita. Yamashita very politely told him he'd probably get a C&D, so he dropped it. Some people speculated this might mean an official release was coming, and while they were *eventually* right, it's unlikely that was already planned at that time.

I should note, in fact, that there has been a decent amount of officially translated supplemental material (Newtype 100%, Chronicle, Cardass), but translated into Spanish, French or German. We should keep in mind that Evangelion paradoxically reached a more *mainstream* status in Spanish fandoms (Latin America more specifically) since it was aired in public television in the 90s, whereas in the US there was that whole mess with the bootlegs, an edited airing on Toonami in 2003 (!) and the first complete unedited one as late as 2005 in 2005. That was also around the time the US got official releases of Angelic Days/SIRP/CA. Only exception to this is Petit Eva, though guess what, that one is also available (at least) in French.

Here in Brazil we had three dubs, one from 1997/98, one for 2002 and of course a new one for the Netflix release. And then of course ADV went defunct so we had that long hiatus until the Netflix release.

Overall it mostly depends on how much (persistent) demand the Netflix release and later 3.0+1.0 creates. It doesn't seem to me that the Netflix release has revigorated the fandom as much as some people expected, though, so I wouldn't hold very high hopes.

EvaUnitREM
Embryo

Re: Do you guys think that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 will bring any kind of merchandising in the U.S.?

•      
  •      

Postby EvaUnitREM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:30 am

Maybe, I mean its a reasonably huge thing especially for fans of the show, it is springing new stuff in Japan but its a hard bet on America, due to the sometimes lack of anime here but I like to keep my hopes up!

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 pm

This thread is out of date by... a while, a lot of things have happened in the mean time. 08ECC and the new 02 have both had Figures announced/already released, and I am willing to bet that whatever designs haven't been revealed yet are already in action figure development
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 pm

In Germany I've seen Shin branded merch already in dedicated comic shops.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 am

Huh, that's cool. I haven't seen any around here, but my area is pretty bad when it comes to mech merch of any sort

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”