Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:45 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/star_wars/making-a-star-wars-film-is-difficult-due-to-a-lack-of-comics-and-novels-says-lucasfilm-president-a171739

R E A L L Y ? ? ?

WTF? There were loads of books in the 90's not to mention the dark horse comics ran tons of issues during the 90's and 2000's... :facepalm:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 am

There were a lot - before Disney decided to make any and all of them no longer canon :facepalm:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 am

Beatboxes the Benny Hill theme.
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 am

It’s important to note that Kathleen Kennedy is referring to source materials, not just fiction in literary paper formats. In that sense, she’s 100% correct. Star Wars has no source materials outside of the original trilogy. The EU canon isn’t a source material in the slightest. At best the EU is made up of stories that use the original trilogy as the source material, just like how Kathleen Kennedy is also using the original trilogy as the source material for her derived works.

Like I said before, the real issue with Star Wars is Bob Iger. He’s the king of remakes as the current CEO of Disney, which is evidenced by the remakes of the animated Disney library, and how every superhero origin story in Marvel is simply a stealth remake of Iron Man, with all of the crossover films being stealth remakes of The Avengers. So it’s no surprise to anyone actually paying attention to how this industry actually works that Bob Iger would dictate a bunch of stealth remakes of the original Star Wars trilogy from an executive producer experienced with other LucasFilm properties who was never interesting in making a bunch of stealth remakes until she was asked by a greedy multi-billion dollar corporation to do so.

Also, I’m not getting Disney+. All I want is Bob Iger’s resignation.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote: Like I said before, the real issue with Star Wars is Bob Iger. He’s the king of remakes as the current CEO of Disney, which is evidenced by the remakes of the animated Disney library, and how every superhero origin story in Marvel is simply a stealth remake of Iron Man, with all of the crossover films being stealth remakes of The Avengers. So it’s no surprise to anyone actually paying attention to how this industry actually works that Bob Iger would dictate a bunch of stealth remakes of the original Star Wars trilogy from an executive producer experienced with other LucasFilm properties who was never interesting in making a bunch of stealth remakes until she was asked by a greedy multi-billion dollar corporation to do so.

Also, I’m not getting Disney+. All I want is Bob Iger’s resignation.

I want him to resign as well but not for the SW reasons but because he isn't letting Disney focus on original and fresh material only crappy reboots as you say plus he might be behind the shelving of Foxs movie catalogue, which is well out of order as it means cinema's cant show movies like Aliens orThe Fly. Along with outright denial that Disney Plus was hacked and hundreds of accounts stolen (When the platform had only been up for less than a day)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 am

^ Oh, that’s definitely true as well. But I’d be kidding myself if I believed that the decisions that Iger’s been making aren’t also the ones that are negatively affecting the Star Wars movies these days.

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:42 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Like I said before, the real issue with Star Wars is Bob Iger.

I disagree, I think they both to blame and they both need to be criticized/fired.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 pm

If Bob Iger wasn’t telling Kathleen Kennedy to make limp, stealth remakes, he’d simply hire someone else and tell them to do the exact same thing. I don’t see how replacing Kathleen Kennedy would resolve any of the issues with these movies. It’s not like she has these issues with any of the other films she’s produced.

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:07 pm

Her own words damn her. Anyway, I'm saying get rid of both of them.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:57 am

Lemme put it this way: I might respect her more if she were to resign. She’s clearly not in control here, Iger is; and no one but Iger can keep that from happening. Looking at her past filmography, none of her previous films share the same issues that her SW movies do. That’s not to say that her past films were flawless, but that those flaws in no way mirror the flaws in Bob Iger’s SW. So, resigning over creative differences would, in a sense, throw Iger under the bus for all of his stupid decisions.

However, it might be Kennedy’s decisions that are the few bits that keep the new SW films from having at least some good parts to them. She’s honestly probably the only thing keeping Star Wars from becoming exactly like Iger’s Classic Disney Remake series. (Comparatively, there is more freshness to the overall narrative musings in Kathleen Kennedy’s Star Wars than there is in Bob Iger’s The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast.) But, either way, the best way to expose that fact short of firing Bob Iger is to have Kennedy’s protective dam break and unleash millions of gallons of Iger’s pure awfulness all over the SW’s fans’ sorry, disappointed faces.

Kennedy deserves to be free, making her own creative decisions, like the ones that formed our childhood. Free to make her honestly more interesting mistakes. (To paraphrase Ray Bradbury, her mistakes are far better than Bob Iger’s.)

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:05 am

No,dude. Watch her interviews. Kathleen Kennedy is not the poor, oppressed woman slaving under The Man. She's just as culpable as he is. They might be different kinds of bad, but they're both still bad.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:04 pm

I’ve seen the interviews. But I have professionally worked on behind the scenes documentaries and filmmaker interviews for various film projects on various budgets, and, while I haven’t worked with Star Wars or Disney specifically, I can spot out a scripted corporate shill piece when I see it. All of her interviews have clearly been Disney stamped for approval by the great Bob Iger Himself, and, at the very least, don’t contradict his vision for Star Wars or its relationship with his company.

See, a lot of Behind the Scenes (BTS) material that is stuffed in the home video releases dictated by the studio itself isn’t necessarily for the benefit for the audiences, it’s for the benefit of the shareholders. For example, the video crew isn’t capturing how these special effects are created for the sake of explaining it to the film enthusiast at home following along with the production. In fact, most filmmakers would rather audiences didn’t know about that stuff so as to keep the “Magic of Hollywood” alive. The video crew is actually documenting these things so the shareholders have something to look at to see how their money is being spent and how well the filmmakers they’ve hired are using the budget allotted to them. BTS content is literally a form of “Big Brother” coming in and making a record of the workflow of that particular production, so everyone documented and interviewed is making sure that they’re saying and doing the right thing by the standards of those shareholders.

Personally, this was a huge learning curve for me going into the industry myself, since this isn’t really a thing that they teach you in film school. They teach you the importance and nuance of film language and various methods of narrative interpretation as the like. So my first couple jobs were constantly punctuated with worried crew members not wanting to incriminate themselves or otherwise look bad, and asking me, “Hey, you weren’t recording that, were you?” Meanwhile the producer wanted my cameras rolling at all times in an attempt to incentivize productivity.

This isn’t to say that no BTS features are made in Hollywood with the viewers in mind. Pixar’s BTS offerings with their first half of collector’s edition DVD releases (from their movies Toy Story thru Cars) actually have a wonderful set of entertaining BTS features made with at least a peripheral goal for audience consumption, peaking somewhere around Finding Nemo with their first film made with a documentary crew throughout the whole production. But after the Disney acquisition of Pixar (made in part by hiring John Lasseter as Disney’s CCO) their special features pivoted in a major way, becoming less off-the-cuff-yet-thorough in their deliveries and more formalized and structured, and including scripted segments like “Women in Pixar” and things like that. (To me, “Women in Pixar” specifically became a real obvious example of a scripted diversion from the at the time yet-undisclosed ongoing sexual harassment from John Lasseter toward the various women who were working at Pixar, as well as a diversion from the rather public lay-off of Brenda Chapman as director of Brave.)

By the by, you’ll notice that the Pixar BTS post Disney acquisition follow a similar format to the BTS of Star Wars post Disney acquisition. The George Lucas prequel days were even similar to the old Pixar BTS of somewhat off-the-cuff-yet-thorough, then pivoting to scripted, structured, and formal under Disney’s supervision. What’s used as “Big Brother” to document the crew is retooled as sizzle reels and promotional materials for the consumer’s disc purchase. This includes interviews with people like Kathleen Kennedy. She (like Kevin Feige, BTW) is hired to jump when she’s told to. If she’s documented on video as not jumping when told, then Bob Iger will just hire someone else who will. Simple as that.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 pm

The entire plot leaked.
SPOILER: Show
Don't wanna definitely judge a film before I see it...but lol.
TFA was so much better than this, even with its flaws.
And TLJ was the opposite of this fanservice fest.

Disney also already uploaded the OST.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:58 pm

The whole plot leaked? How?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:32 pm

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:The whole plot leaked? How?

Clearly someone in production does not like the movie (Insert dumb ass reason here) and just wants everyone not to go to the cinema.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm

OR the more likely reason the whole plot leaked is that despite bragging about breaking box-office records for the past few years the very moment Disney bought 20th Century Fox they fired over 5,000 people (including shutting down branches they assured them personally beforehand were safe) with little warning and Disney is still planning to use some of their ideas, scripts and research for future projects because those materials became Disney's when they bought Fox.
The likelihood someone working for Fox - the old studio that made the Star Wars films - was able to get a hand on J.J. Abrams derivative "get the Horcruxs" Harry Potter knock-off script and get it out there is pretty high.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:26 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:OR the more likely reason the whole plot leaked is that despite bragging about breaking box-office records for the past few years the very moment Disney bought 20th Century Fox they fired over 5,000 people (including shutting down branches they assured them personally beforehand were safe) with little warning and Disney is still planning to use some of their ideas, scripts and research for future projects because those materials became Disney's when they bought Fox.
The likelihood someone working for Fox - the old studio that made the Star Wars films - was able to get a hand on J.J. Abrams derivative "get the Horcruxs" Harry Potter knock-off script and get it out there is pretty high.

Oh now that detail makes way more sense and I wasn't aware they'd sacked 5,000 people and now the pissed off former employee spilling the beans ot of spite fits.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Can’t confirm that’s how the whole story got leaked but it makes the most sense to me. Disney really stuck it to A LOT of people this year and have used Marvel & Star Wars to cover it up - if a serious publications writes an Expose or article about Disney’s business practices you can almost guarantee a new trailer will drop or new fan friendly project announced to distract from it - so someone Hurt getting even even slightly seems plausible

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:08 am

Sooooo this dumpster fire just beat TLJ for title of Worst Star Wars Movie Ever. Every leak from months ago was real and even critics are giving it shit.
Guess Disney didn't pay them enough.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:05 am

Spoilers!

I saw it 2 days ago.
After TLJ, I had very low expectations and still kinda managed to be disapointed.
SPOILER: Show
Its just a flurry of "cool" scenes after one another. Fancy locations and planets (the CGI is pretty). It feels like you are watching a really milked weekly tv series, but all fit into a single movie. Every 10 minutes a new (non relevant) plotline opens up.

But what bothers me most is the Dragonball Z-esque power creep.
First Deathstar was the size of a moon, required years of planning, building and acquiring kyber crystals and all that.
Then in Force Awakens, they make a bigger version of the same thing, with the construction simplified (it shoots the sun at planets).
And now they have a planetkiller cannon on every ship within a gigantic fleet of star destroyers (at least they finally live up to their names ..)

Also, force lightning-shooting entire armadas of aircraft out the air.

The force was a mystical power that certain individuals utilize, which makes em very intuitive, mild telekenisis and telepathy. Dark Side excelling in physically manifesting it (choking people and lightning). And thats about it.

Now it has just become full blown space-magic, what do they even need a saber for?
Half expected Rey to throw a Kamehameha-blast or something.

Ah well, thats finally done...

Return to “Film and Video”