Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:14 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:I'm not entirely sure what to think about that image. On one hand, too prude to go for the full naked apron. On the other, based on the color, school swimsuit under the apron may set off a whole different fetish...

I mean I always assumed what was underneath was bra and panties, but the bathing suit makes sense... are bathing suits a fetish?
SPOILER: Show

EDIT: I also do have one with Hikari not wearing anything under the apron, but can't post that here... obviously :shifty:
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 am

It's a shame how little YuiMari stuff there is.

SPOILER: Show
And how on Earth did the shipping thread fall as far as page 3?
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:16 am

View Original PostMirrorUniverseAsuka wrote:And how on Earth did the shipping thread fall as far as page 3?

Because the debate's been done to death and most people on here are probably sick of it at this point
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:41 am

To be fair, at this point you could probably say the same thing about everything not related to 3.0+1.0. That'd make for a quiet forum, no?
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:12 am

I'm surprised I haven't found this thread before. Here are my thoughts:

Honestly, for me, I think Shinji X Kaworu is one of the best ships especially since it's part of all the storylines for the franchise (Manga, OG Series, and the Rebuilds.) The two of them are adorable together and function as good opposites. If you want a good (but brief) analysis of the two as a couple I recommend watching GoatJesus's "Examining the Yaoi BL Genre", it's FANTASTIC how he analyzes them (I mean, he IS a hardcore Eva fan, after all, so...yeah. :lol: ) Dear lord though, the fanfictions/doujinshi stuff is just...YIKES! :shinji_blush:

Other couples would be Misato X Kaji (again for how good the two function as opposites to each other.) Shinji got to see it all that at the end of the series too. Also though it gives us more insight into why she's so sad, so not only is it cute, but it's also part of the main story as well like Shinji and Kaworu. :shifty:

Shinji X Asuka (while cute), really doesn't seem likely. They seem to bond in Episode 15 (I think) with their kiss very situationally like Asuka just wanted to do it to kill time with it and nothing more, though if you read deeper, you could see it as her looking for a connection and her then being disappointed when doesn't find what she's looking for in Shinji. However, THAT is just a theory from GoatJesus and his Shinji Ikari Character Analysis video, again, check him out he's great (not trying to promote him on here or anything.) Also doesn't help that Shinji CHOKES HER in EoE. :|

Other than that, Ritsuko and Maya are cute together, after all, it seems Maya has some sort of lover-type attachment to her, she calls her in "senpai" in the Subs and her person she loves the most when the EoE Third Impact takes place is Ritsuko.

I've seen a lot of people who like the Asuka X Rei ship as well, so I guess that can be #5 too. They do contrast nicely as well in the show *cough* Elevator Scene *cough.*

Yeah, I'm probably missing some bigs ones off people's list, but these 5 are just my personal favorites. :D
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 am

fuck it im gonna say it

Shinji Rei

:shinji_blush: :rei_blush:

:kensukecam: < me @ this ship because it warms my heart

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:50 pm

View Original PostCowboy Unit-03 wrote:because it warms my heart

Not exactly a shipper, but that statement is one I can get behind
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

ROOK13
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ROOK13 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:52 am

Penpen and zeruel eating eva-1??? :D
But it would had been nice if penpen did find a partner.Another of those hot spring penguin,with a little attitude.Just trying to imagine a scene where penpen is trying to get her attention but getting kicked like Shinji in ep 9 by Asuka.It would be cute.

Human:
Toji-hikari and rei-kaworu.I'm a big Rei fan,but don't want R/S cause Shinji is a mentally unstable bastard.

Angel:
Sachiel-zeruel,iruel-bardiel
Sympathy for seeds of life

Archer
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Sat May 09, 2020 12:30 am

Hate to be making a debut in a shipping thread of all things, but eh, it can’t be helped.

I love Shinji x Asuka because so much of the anime is dedicated to showing how they’re both obviously attracted to each other, but aren’t able to recognize or act on it due to terrible communication, their own insecurities, and the overall situation they’re in.

In this respect, EoE actually offers an optimistic outlook for them. Having both been through Instrumentality, each has gained a better understanding of themselves and also of each other - an intimate look into each other’s true feelings that would have been completely impossible pre-Instrumentality due to how far their screwed-up relationship had already deteriorated by that point. EoE offers a reset on their relationship - they’re back at Square 1 except now, they’ve accepted who they are, what they mean to each other, and are better equipped to deal with their own insecurities.

It’s not to imply that it’ll be an easy road ahead for them - they’re not gonna just walk off into the sunset holding hands. But whatever becomes of their future - be it regrouping with survivors to rebuild civilization or just trying to stay alive while waiting for more people to rematerialize - I think EoE puts their potential relationship at a better chance of success than at any other point in the series, because they’re now approaching each other from a point of mutual understanding and attraction, rather than the uncomfortable ambiguity and uncertainty that defined their relationship pre-EoE.

——

As for his other potential pairings:

I don’t particularly mind Shinji x Rei. I thought his unlocking of Rei II’s emotions was really touching, but ultimately that ship sailed with Rei II’s sacrifice - even if Rei III has some subconscious memory of Shinji, it’s clearly not the same. I’m also of the camp that finds it minorly squicky that Rei’s body is mostly genetically identical to his mom, which makes any potential Rei-babies (a.k.a. Reibies) just a little bit suspect.

As far as anime/EoE is concerned, I’m of the camp that Shinji only latched onto Kaworu because he was the first person to show Shinji unconditional kindness. He’s pretty much at his lowest point (....yet) when Kaworu shows up, and far as I can tell he barely even spends a day with him. His deteriorating mental state, along with the relatively short amount of time he actually knew Kaworu for, makes me doubtful that it’s any deep physical/emotional attraction on his part. In the rebuilds, this ship is a lot more justifiable because they actually do spend a significant amount of time (read: more than one day) bonding together.

... The less that’s said about Shinji x Misato, the better. Regardless of its technical legality in Japan, I’d rather not think about a grown woman wanting to bone a 14 year old.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:48 pm

View Original PostCowboy Unit-03 wrote:fuck it im gonna say it

Shinji Rei

:shinji_blush: :rei_blush:

:kensukecam: < me @ this ship because it warms my heart

any love for
:rei_blush: :kensukecam:
Rei and kensuke have know each other for roughly 2 years longer then the pilots know each other.
Kensuke (anime) is a bid scared of Rei but honnestly why considering his respons to Shinji.

Kensuke should have been all over Rei the moment he learned she was a eva pilot (explaining a intrest for kensuke into Rei)
Rei is often absent and needs somebody to bring her papers in, Kensuke apears to be some hacker who can get inside information of NERV something Rei might be interested in. Kensuke hobby of going out camping (under spartan conditions) seems like the sort of thing Rei would enjoy walking around in the world she is trying to protect reading under the clear skye (whilst kensuke plays soldier) having food served for her and philosophising under the stars.

Then theirs the fact that Kensuke could be argued to be on the autisme spectrum (but leagues more verbal then Rei). As such he is the closest thing to her.
Kensuke also has a good eye for detail (see Misato's promotion) so even a non verbal meetings can inprove their relation.

If we are shipping angels then definitly Leliel and yui
Leliel can be argued to have never attacked the eva's Shinji walked into him that is not a attack. He also never attempted to enter central dogma he basicly yust stood there being lost.
in artwork it is often suggested that leliel experienced time noticable differently, theirs a famous work where Shinji returns in time thanks to leliel what afther having absorbed unit 01. Leliel can see his own dead and is seduced by Yui and gives her his heart (S2 engine).
Yui is a child of lilith Leliel is a child of adam. Especialy if leliel forsees that living in unit 01 (who is aftherall a ark) can extent his life and allows for a potential future that involves Yui ingesting kaworu reuniting leliel with it's parent's soul and Yui getting the S2 engine to play with would make it mutually beneficial.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:50 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:Rei and kensuke have know each other for roughly 2 years longer then the pilots know each other.
Kensuke (anime) is a bid scared of Rei but honnestly why considering his respons to Shinji.

And she has also been said to have shown no interest in anyone.

Kensuke should have been all over Rei the moment he learned she was a eva pilot (explaining a intrest for kensuke into Rei)
Rei is often absent and needs somebody to bring her papers in, Kensuke apears to be some hacker who can get inside information of NERV something Rei might be interested in.

That's not a ship, that's stalking. If you think that that is the basis of a healthy relationship of any kind, I am very concerned for the mental wellbeing of anyone you go out with

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:37 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote: And she has also been said to have shown no interest in anyone.

Like you said, Rei has shown no intrest in anybody, meaning the intrest must come from the other party.

Given that Kensuke has to balls to straight up walk to Misato and ask if he can be considered for the e-project makes me think that he in theory could be brave enough to show intrest in Rei.

The initial intrest would probably not be romantic as Kensuke knows Rei since she was 12 (when she joined the school).

View Original PostBlockio wrote:That's not a ship, that's stalking. If you think that that is the basis of a healthy relationship of any kind, I am very concerned for the mental wellbeing of anyone you go out with

well it's nice you take it a bid more seriously. You can say the same abouth Shinji who breaks into Rei's apartment on at least 2 occasions and masturbated over a comatose (other) girl.
(personally the cleaning up scene makes me think abouth the first episode of the big bang theory where sheldon and quircky break into penny's apartment to clean up her mess penny's reaction seemed much more realistic)
That said Rei's reaction is known so maybe she is into the stalker type. It certainly would explain her reaction to certain situations.

Rei's intrest are to pilot her eva and with NERV in general. Kensuke's want's to known everything abouth the E-project and arguable goes into illegal cyberspionage. (like the guy is literally more informed then Shinji). This rings with Rei's intrest field. theirs other examples if overlapping intrest like Rei showing at least some intrest in the other pilot's and Kensuke as well meaning if Kensuke brought a magazine with snippits of information on Asuka Rei would probably read it and if not listen to it if Kensuke read it out loud next to her.

Then theirs the personality kensuke is prety introverted between him Toji and hikari it's the most introverted person in that gang (Shinji seems more introverted but he is more clinically shy as his avoiding of other people does not make him happy at all it's to avoid pain). All the people Rei seems to like are introverted to some degree be it Gendo or Shinji.
Rei also more or less has peculiar intrest fields those genetics books do not look like their written for 14 year olds. Kensuke's intrest may lay elsewear (military stuff) but passion recognizes passion.

We simply do not see Rei do much stuff. She avoids going to party's but seems to accept food wherever she can find it (the girl really is comically poor). Meaning if offered a bento meal she will probably take it. We see Kensuke also eat out of a black box in the anime even tough he has no mother, so he probably buys them I think it's safe to say his dad does something with computers. But he also talks abouth his grandad who also works at NERV so maybe it's his grand mother who makes them (speculation).

Then their is the fact that apart from the argument that he seems a bid autistic he is the more mentally sane then both Gendo and Shinji, this is not a proper argument on it's own but would factor in if you where choosen between him and for example Shinji.
Kensuke is also not a blood relative of Rei ignoring that she has to soul of lilith and Kensuke is a lilim.

So yeah commen intrest and commen personalities and less illigal enterings and molesting (bit harsh on Shinji but that scene was awkward as F). Makes him a better candidate then Shinji.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:35 am

orcot:
I sincerely doubt that Kensuke is emotionally mature enough to have a relationship with someone as fucked-up as Rei.
Also...
Like you said, Rei has shown no intrest in anybody,

She has shown interest in Gendo and Shinji, even in NGE, far more than she has ever shown to Kensuke. And even though she may not have shown active romantic interest in Shinji, that does not mean it wasn't there-she straight-out blushed like a normal schoolgirl at Shinji twice, was ready to do whatever he wished in EoE and decided to kill herself for him first in ep. 23 and then there's also the ''become one with'' line, accompanied by a suggestive figure. (Who is Armisael, yes, but the whole Armisael sequence is really about Rei's deepest wishes). Rei also has no real understanding of emotions, she only realized her romantic interest in Shinji when she was specifically shown it by Armisael (or her subconscious, but those are other questions and both options are valid in showing what she wanted deep down).
You can say the same abouth Shinji who breaks into Rei's apartment on at least 2 occasions and masturbated over a comatose (other) girl.

The first time Shinji assumed she was there and the second time he probably knew enough about her to know she wouldn't mind. The masturbation also happened when he was already psychopathic and had no overt will to live, so I don't think that's something that can be used to say he's stalker-ish or otherwise extremely perverted. Kensuke is probably more perverted than Shinji for that matter, since he engages in systematically selling scanty photos of underage girls without their permission even before everything had gone to hell (which it had in EoE) and seems to have a far more ''meat'' opinion of women in general. (Not literally, but Shinji is also shown to think of females as people firstly, while Kensuke seems far more obsessed with the physical side).

There are problems with the Shinji-Rei ship, because of the whole incest issue and how it's wrong in a thematic way...but then again, Anno never gave a shit about shipping anyway and arguing about ''best ship'' feels like a weird thing to do because of that and is the reason for me feeling that these discussions are strange at best, but even then I just wanted to point out that Shinji and Rei is a better one than Kensuke and Rei, despite it having problems.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:16 am

View Original Postorcot wrote:Like you said, Rei has shown no intrest in anybody, meaning the intrest must come from the other party.

Given that Kensuke has to balls to straight up walk to Misato and ask if he can be considered for the e-project makes me think that he in theory could be brave enough to show intrest in Rei.

Dude. No. This attitude is extremely toxic, and if you are like that in real life I genuinely despise you. Someone , as you say yourself, showing no interest in anybody is not a fucking free card to harass them unti they give in! That shit is fucked up! Do yourself a favor and don't respond to this any more, you are just digging yourself deeper at this point.

By rationalizing all of that obsessive, bordeline rape-y garbage fire of a """ship""" you are proposing, you are just proving yourself to be a fucking creep and allaround awful person. I don't go into ad hominem easily, but this shit is not okay on any fucking level.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am

Asuka/Mari for Rebuild, Asuka/Shinji for original.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:58 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:orcot:
I sincerely doubt that Kensuke is emotionally mature enough to have a relationship with someone as fucked-up as Rei.

I agree to that but do you imply that other characters are more emotionally mature? Given the pool avaible for Rei Kensuke would be prett high up that list.
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:She has shown interest in Gendo and Shinji, even in NGE, far more than she has ever shown to Kensuke.

This is true Rei doesn't ever speak to kensuke in the entire series I believe. That doesn't mean they are not compatible for various reasons. Had they been a couple they would have probably been quit a good couple.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Armisael

Ah that thing it's easy to hold a grudge against a angel yust because it killed one of the main characters, but Armisael is a sexist pig. At least for Arael you can say he yust showed Asuka for what she was and didn't realy judge, others we can't realy see what they are thinking but Armisael was gloating and spewing nonsence from the start.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:The first time Shinji assumed she was there and the second time he probably knew enough about her to know she wouldn't mind.

It's called trespassing and it is definitly not okay
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:The masturbation also happened when he was already psychopathic and had no overt will to live, so I don't think that's something that can be used to say he's stalker-ish or otherwise

okay he still makes dumb decisions and most people would hold a grudge it is probably also illegal.
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Kensuke is probably more perverted than Shinji for that matter, since he engages in systematically selling scanty photos of underage girls without their permission even before everything had gone to hell (which it had in EoE) and seems to have a far more ''meat'' opinion of women in general. (Not literally, but Shinji is also shown to think of females as people firstly, while Kensuke seems far more obsessed with the physical side).

I rememberd it was Toji who talked abouth Breast Kensuke was yust agreeing and was teasing Shinji that he was looking at Rei, still taking/selling those pictures was not cool.
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:There are problems with the Shinji-Rei ship, because of the whole incest issue and how it's wrong in a thematic way...but then again, Anno never gave a shit about shipping anyway and arguing about ''best ship'' feels like a weird thing to do because of that and is the reason for me feeling that these discussions are strange at best, but even then I just wanted to point out that Shinji and Rei is a better one than Kensuke and Rei, despite it having problems.

Shinji and Rei could work probably but it will involve a lot more of saving each others lives, then is healty.
View Original PostBlockio wrote:Dude. No. This attitude is extremely toxic, and if you are like that in real life I genuinely despise you

Hello I'm hoping you have a nice day Blockio,
View Original PostBlockio wrote:s you say yourself, showing no interest in anybody is not a fucking free card to harass them unti they give in!

Yeah the big bang theory was prett F*** up if you think abouth it. Returning to evangelion Rei is socialy withdrawn, had someone in your class acted the way Rei did and commited suicide you would hit yourself for never talking to her. Somwhere between ignoring and obsessing over a person theirs a thin line of "relative" normal interactions.
Theirs no way Rei would get kensuke into a eva or would even want to do it, but that doesn't take away that he seems genuinly intrested in Rei's job.
Had she talked/interacted more with people Rei would have probably been happier. Still gloomy and into poetry but still happier.
View Original PostBlockio wrote:By rationalizing all of that obsessive, bordeline rape-y garbage fire of a """ship"""

In stead of Shinji who trespasses onto her property and does somethings that probably constitutes sexually assault (whilst the molesting part was accidental the trespassing was definitly intentional and the molesting part could only have happend afther the intentional part). You can call it a accident but it did happen and it happened afther he was trespassing. Maybe you imagen Kensuke would have done the same thing if he was in Shinji's place. But this is wrong reasoning.
Kensuke never did that so he doesn't really have to defend himself for it. A simple alternative would have been that afther he went over a saw the mailbox was full he did not trespass went home scannend in the documents and send them into a e-mail. Later he would have had a reason to speak to her asking her if she recieved the messages and if necesairy give the physical documents. (based on a sane respons of a tech savvy teen).

as this had you upset note that Kensuke did ask this And let the matter sort of drop afther getting a vague respons. He moped a bid true but not directing either Misato or the other children.

if you like subversion Shinji's little stind in episode 5 woud have got him suspended from school if it ever came out and Rei being the silent type would make people believe he actualy raped her. Shinji however get's away with it and hasn't learned his lesson as he goes trespassing again a couple of episodes later.
That's really not okay

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 am

orcot:
I agree to that but do you imply that other characters are more emotionally mature? Given the pool avaible for Rei Kensuke would be prett high up that list.

I'm not necessarily saying that, but Rei needs someone emotionally mature enough and even though I can't really think of anyone else but Shinji (before ep.18, I must admit-shit gets real from that point on) from what we saw in the show, that doesn't mean that she should settle for someone who isn't that, especially since that means the relationship could quickly go south. She's so emotionally immature, depressed and with no sense of self-worth on top of that, so she needs someone good to take care of her. And Kensuke being high up the list doesn't mean a lot since her only other options that we know of are Shinji and Toji; no other male character near her age is given sufficient detail for us to assume how good ''options'' they would be for her and we don't have any indication that she also likes girls like that.
That doesn't mean they are not compatible for various reasons.

I agree, I was just saying this to prove that her not being interested in anyone is blatantly false.
Armisael was gloating and spewing nonsence from the start.

No, it wasn't. During the whole sequence, Armisael shows Rei what she wants and then promises to give it to her in a perverted form.
okay he still makes dumb decisions and most people would hold a grudge it is probably also illegal.

I was just trying to point out how by EoE he was in such a horrible place that it can't really be used to judge what he would normally do. He was depressed from ep. 1, before being emotionally manipulated by his own father to basically be a child soldier and by the infamous masturbation, he had already gone through several things so, so much worse. And what would these ''dumb decisions'' specifically be? Just want to know what you consider the worst of them to be so I can think on it.
I rememberd it was Toji who talked abouth Breast Kensuke was yust agreeing and was teasing Shinji that he was looking at Rei, still taking/selling those pictures was not cool.

Kensuke lusts for Misato rather openly, though.
Shinji and Rei could work probably but it will involve a lot more of saving each others lives, then is healty.

As opposed to Rei saving Kensuke's life every time she pilots an Eva and him probably being barely able to emotionally support her other than ''it's so cool, bruh!"? Or do you mean that a relationship between Rei and Shinji would consist a lot of those two helping each other get better? Because if they get better, then that's very healthy and Kensuke isn't someone I think can help Rei like that.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:16 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I'm not necessarily saying that, but Rei needs someone emotionally mature enough and even though I can't really think of anyone else but Shinji (before ep.18, I must admit-shit gets real from that point on) from what we saw in the show, that doesn't mean that she should settle for someone who isn't that,

In defending Kensuke don't mistake mental trauma's for maturity, in general any partner for Rei would be either 14 or around that age. So it's going to be a hormonal little asshole that's trying his best in all cases.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:especially since that means the relationship could quickly go south. She's so emotionally immature, depressed and with no sense of self-worth on top of that, so she needs someone good to take care of her.

Rei needs the Japanese equivalent of child protective services, that said she is doing reasonable in that she has a bed and a roof is not malnutrisious and is able to attend school.
her home situation is as it is and no one of the cast can be bothered doing anything abouth it.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:And Kensuke being high up the list doesn't mean a lot since her only other options that we know of are Shinji and Toji; no other male character near her age is given sufficient detail for us to assume how good ''options'' they would be for her and we don't have any indication that she also likes girls like that.

Kensuke Shinji and Toji are indeed the only fleshed out children, but in the Eva universe you can easly for example imagen a 16 year old boy that's yust came from out of town and can spar with Asuka maturer but not a threat as he can never pilot a eva. 2 strangers in town discovering the city. He doesn't realy exist but you can easly imagen him.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I agree, I was just saying this to prove that her not being interested in anyone is blatantly false.

Okay
View Original PostZusuchan wrote:No, it wasn't. During the whole sequence, Armisael shows Rei what she wants and then promises to give it to her in a perverted form.

of all the angels he felt the nastiest. Theirs few angels that share some of their personality and do not simply atempt to reach central dogma, tabris offcourse has the most lines, but areal also doesn't make any serious atempts to get into central dogma he's more or less trying to understand humanity trough Asuka, whilst his actions are harmful to Asuka in a orange and blue morality he feels like he is trying to be a objective observer. Leliel yust stood their you could even argue that unit 01 fell in and wasn't even attacked. Tsuramaki Anno's assistant claims that it(leliel) was originally suppose to have a intrest in humanity but they(director) felt it would be too anti-climactic to have an Angel start talking like some pulp fiction alien. So it's fun thinking Leliel was actually watching Shinji. But didn't know what to say and feared for looking/sounding stupid. (in the manga Yui takes Shinji to a zoo the day before she get's absorbed. Having leliel walk around inside unit 01 feeling lost looking like a cross between fidler's green from the sandman and Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean. Walking trough a zoo that is the ark that is unit 01 Theirs a fan fic in their I think).

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:I was just trying to point out how by EoE he was in such a horrible place that it can't really be used to judge what he would normally do. He was depressed from ep. 1, before being emotionally manipulated by his own father to basically be a child soldier and by the infamous masturbation, he had already gone through several things so, so much worse. And what would these ''dumb decisions'' specifically be? Just want to know what you consider the worst of them to be so I can think on it.

- well the repeated trespassing for sure. Shinji learned nothing from episode 5(as he does it again later)
- He also asks both Rei and Asuka why they pilot the eva, Rei basicly fights to defend humanity. Asuka fights to show the world of what she is capable of. And then theirs Shinji stabbing angels so his daddy would like him, he matures somewhat but even then he fights because he is the only one capable to do it (these are pretty bad reasons) I wonder how Rei would have reacted if he said concerning sachiel I did it to protect you (Rei) afther that I'm not sure it changes followed by Shinji world view.
- Shinji's not looking for a psychiatrist or having a public melt down to get some help.
- Shinji not being present during the activation test of Toji (inside Eva 00). Rei had most of her bones broken during her first activation test, whilst UNit 00 went beserk, Unit 01 also went beserk during it's activation test (also a fight). Angel attack or not having a eva around that can contrain the other eva during a potential beserk event would have been a good idea.

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Kensuke lusts for Misato rather openly, though.

Perhaps but he did manage to get invited onto a US military carrier under active duty transporting a Eva. I remember that Kensuke say's something in the line of man this is what friends are for, right Shinji. So he probably convinced Shinji who convinced Misato. I also believe that the entire male population of the school was staring to Misato (parent teacher meeting) and Rei who's always starring outside stares in the other direction making Gendo's hand gestures. (Is she anoyed by the attention Misato is generating or is she annoyed that gendo does no come over as her parent... I personally think both)

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:As opposed to Rei saving Kensuke's life every time she pilots an Eva and him probably being barely able to emotionally support her other than ''it's so cool, bruh!"? Or do you mean that a relationship between Rei and Shinji would consist a lot of those two helping each other get better? Because if they get better, then that's very healthy and Kensuke isn't someone I think can help Rei like that.

Rei arguable saves humanity each time a angel is defeated, this includes Gendo, Shinji and even herself why pick out Kensuke your not wrong tough. But the Eva's cause a lot of pain.
On the emotional support part Kensuke does not only stare to girls he also stares to Shinji making the connection that Shinji was starring to Rei. WHen Shinji says he is embarresed by Misato's sloppyness it is kensuke who points out that Misato is opening up to him(Shinji) and they are now family that is from the episode a human work. So yeah having a good eye and making decend positive observations. The episode with Kensuke and Shinji around the campfire is a bid further away in my memory but I tought Kensuke handled it pretty well. Helping Shinji out with his tought.

The match is yust a idea in the end matching Rei is usualy with Shinji that's a okay match but it's fun to look outside the inmediate box.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:35 am

orcot:
In defending Kensuke don't mistake mental trauma's for maturity, in general any partner for Rei would be either 14 or around that age. So it's going to be a hormonal little asshole that's trying his best in all cases.

You're right that mental traumas don't indicate emotional maturity, but Shinji still is more emotionally mature than Kensuke.
Rei needs the Japanese equivalent of child protective services, that said she is doing reasonable in that she has a bed and a roof is not malnutrisious and is able to attend school. her home situation is as it is and no one of the cast can be bothered doing anything abouth it.

Can't argue with that.
Kensuke Shinji and Toji are indeed the only fleshed out children, but in the Eva universe you can easly for example imagen a 16 year old boy that's yust came from out of town and can spar with Asuka maturer but not a threat as he can never pilot a eva. 2 strangers in town discovering the city. He doesn't realy exist but you can easly imagen him.

The fact that one can easily imagine him means nothing: he still doesn't exist, still isn't fleshed out and one of the things Eva is big about is how psychologically complex any one human being really is, so these ideas you've just stated don't indicate that he's emotionally mature or in any other way a good romantic partner. And I hardly see Rei caring about whether someone does better than her at piloting-Shinji and Asuka both do and she never shows signs of being even fazed about it, let alone conceive them as ''threats'' due to their better sync scores.
Perhaps but he did manage to get invited onto a US military carrier under active duty transporting a Eva. I remember that Kensuke say's something in the line of man this is what friends are for, right Shinji. So he probably convinced Shinji who convinced Misato. I also believe that the entire male population of the school was staring to Misato (parent teacher meeting) and Rei who's always starring outside stares in the other direction making Gendo's hand gestures. (Is she anoyed by the attention Misato is generating or is she annoyed that gendo does no come over as her parent... I personally think both)

I agree with Kensuke first convincing Shinji and the male population lusting after Misato, but those don't exactly excuse Kensuke in any way. The Rei comment is interesting, though I incline to think she didn't really care-she slapped Shinji for daring to say a bad thing about Gendo, so she probably doesn't consider Gendo's absence a bad thing. It would be a subconscious criticism, at best.
WHen Shinji says he is embarresed by Misato's sloppyness it is kensuke who points out that Misato is opening up to him(Shinji) and they are now family that is from the episode a human work. So yeah having a good eye and making decend positive observations. The episode with Kensuke and Shinji around the campfire is a bid further away in my memory but I tought Kensuke handled it pretty well. Helping Shinji out with his tought.

Kensuke is good at observations, but he doesn't show signs of the kind of emotional maturity I still think would be best for Rei.
The match is yust a idea in the end matching Rei is usualy with Shinji that's a okay match but it's fun to look outside the inmediate box.

That's alright. This is all just a discussion, anyway.

Here comes my discussion of what you consider to be Shinji's dumb decisions:
1)-Fine, have it your way. You're not technically wrong.
2)-Shinji pilots the Eva for a rather dumb and unrealistic reason, yes, but considering his background and psychology, it's such a perfectly understandable decision that I can't personally fault him for it.
3)-He probably should have done that.
4)-Those are external reasons that have nothing to do with him. The worst thing you can say is that he should have suggested this action to Misato, but why/how he would come upon that, I don't know.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:45 pm

You're right that mental traumas don't indicate emotional maturity, but Shinji still is more emotionally mature than Kensuke.

I know the manga(sadamoto) isn't exactly the same as the anime but in volume 2 (stage 12) Shinji leaves NERV to go back to his former life (he had yust fought Shamshel with Toji and Kensuke in the entry plug and ignored Misato's orders)

The scene plays out differently in the manga.
In the Manga Kensuke and Toji still visit Misato and the conversation starts the same only Misato confesses that Shinji has left to return. Kensuke recognizes the seriousness of the situation and makes the following remarks:
d' habitude au college. quoi qu il arrive il ne montre jamais ses sentiments
mais ce jour la il s'est laisse emporter par ses emotions
------
c etait comme s'il se revoltait contre vous
-----
on aurait dit qu il jouait à l'enfant gâté face a sa maman

My translation
usually at school, whatever happens he never shows his feelings
but that day he let himself be carried away by his emotions
-----
it was as if he rebelled against you
--------
it looked like he was playing the spoiled child in front of his mother

Meaning he felt like Shinji was rebelling Misato as it was his mother ( the english version he yust calls Shinji a spoiled brat without refering to the mother part I think that is a bad translation)

Keep in mind a dumb 14 year old could have simply requested if he could be the next pilot given he allready had some experience inside a eva.

This is a pretty deep understanding concerning the problems in Shinji's and Misato's relationship at the time and it's this conversation that leads Misato to intercept Shinji in the train station. She then tells Shinji the story of PenPen and ultimatly tell Shinji I'm not the kind of person who's got it together enough to live with a stranger just out of sympathy or because it's my job ending with let's go back to our home.

Yes the Anime is different and it's mostly Toji doing the talking but still. Kensuke whilst still a kid can at times (when he is not ignoring the situation or manipulating Toji in doing it) apear rather mature for his age. Other times he's playing with toy planes and goes pew pew pew. He is aftherall 14

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”