Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Banned

Re: The Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokuki)

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:28 am

Copy past of what I said on controversial anime opinions. 

s going to make Rosenkhara mad. But after watching it a second time. . . I think I've fallen out of love with the Twelve Kingdoms. 

The problem I have with it is that, the fantasy world has been locked in medieval stasis for Millenia. People literally rule by divine right, regardless of their actual qualifications, the gods of this world are cruel and petty, the majority of the people inhabiting it are ignorant superstitious peasants. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh judging a Medieval Values system with modern standards. But at least I know Medieval history would eventually give way to modern history, progress, and all the benefits it brings. Like equality of the races and sexes, government of the people for the people, the gods not interfering with our lives for disrespecting them, the general petty-ness of quite a few of the rulers.

But in 12 Kingdoms? There's no way for the fantasy world to move forward socially, or in terms of government just because the fantasy elements keep retarding everything. It'll likely be this way, for the rest of eternity. In my opinion, that's the cruelest fate you can really put on your fantasy world. Eternal stagnation, and endless cycle of good leaders and bad leaders, with no hope of progress even alleviating the horrible reality. 

Not to mention, I found what the Anime did to poor Asano to just be outright mean spirited, cruel, and at the end of it all. . . pointless. (which makes sense since he was an Anime-Only character). Yoko and the other girls got it bad in their Journey's, I'm by no means saying they had it easy. But there's was just something about the way Asano's story was handled that rubbed me the wrong way, no not rub me the wrong way. Make me genuinely angry!

Ever read "Lord Fouls Bane: Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever"?. Basically, it's Asano's situation. Like Asano, Thomas ended up being sucked into a fantasy world, and had to find a way to psychologically cope with it. They both came up with a similar idea to cope with their alienation.

"This isn't real. Therefore, whatever I do here I don't have to worry about consequences." 

Asano used this justification to become a murderer, to get revenge on the world that ruined his life. He had his whole life ahead of him, but after everything he's done even if he did go back, it's likely he'd never be able to reintegrate into Japanese society. 

On top of that. Yoko didn't send his body back to the human world, there's not real reason for her not to! I mean, he's been missing in the human world for at least a year! His parents are probably worried sick, and now he's dead! Yoko had a DUTY to send him back, if for nothing else just to give his family closure. It was partially HER fault he got pulled into a Medieval fantasy world where he couldn't even understand the language and had no choice but to become a murderer just to survive!

Asano was right. The 12 Kingdoms are kind've f****d up once you think about them for long enough.

I still enjoy the show, but I no longer enjoy it as much as I did the first time.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:08 pm

It looks like, after all these years, there's a new (concluding?) novel in the series, the first part of which is due out in a couple of weeks (in Japan).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Zoop
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 am

Wow, cool news and about bloody time.
I didn't know this series just stopped halfway, god was I pissed, story was just getting good.

Return to “Anime and Manga”