Lilith and Yui's Contact Experiment, and Related Subjects

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
LPeyrani
Embryo

Re: Lilith and Yui's Contact Experiment, and Related Subjects

•      
  •      

Postby LPeyrani » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 am

The idea that Rei 1 retained Yui's memory, and that it got lost when she was strangled (unlike Lilith's soul, which was passed on) is very interesting. That would give to her death a whole other level of significance. This is "entering my head-canon", as they say (if no contradictions come up).
I'm not sure that Rei 1's and Lilith's bodies are cloned, though. Couldn't they be the original ones, in Rei 1's case Yui's original body, dissolved and then recomposed with some differences?

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 am

View Original PostLPeyrani wrote:The idea that Rei 1 retained Yui's memory, and that it got lost when she was strangled (unlike Lilith's soul, which was passed on) is very interesting. That would give to her death a whole other level of significance. This is "entering my head-canon", as they say (if no contradictions come up).
I'm not sure that Rei 1's and Lilith's bodies are cloned, though. Couldn't they be the original ones, in Rei 1's case Yui's original body, dissolved and then recomposed with some differences?

Sorry, I meant that Rei I might have reitained Lilith's memory, since that is, after all, the memory of her soul. I doubt a Yui body which started from infancy would have retained anything of Yui's mind. The only reason I suspected this was how Yui seems to retain her memory(???) in Shogouki, and likewise how simply inconvenient it'd be for Lilith to lose her memory in incarnating herself.

I've never seen the idea that Shogouki is Lilith's body, which would make the "Lilith body" we normally see a duplication. Given that no one ever suggests this, instead referring to Shogouki as Lilith's offspring (when you'd have it be the other way around, arguably), I think this would be a needless complication.

Given that Lilith apparently yielded several Rei-bodies together (only one imbued with her soul), I think that the notion of them all being made from Yui's original matter is sketchy. Analogously, when Shinji is reborn from Shogouki in 20, his body can't be composed of his original LCL, which was drained out and lost. I think LCL is entirely interchangeable, and the reversion to indistinct, formless (in the Aristotlean sense, the soul being the form of the body) base matter happens when a body loses its soul unnaturally.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

LPeyrani
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LPeyrani » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Didn't mean that Unit 01 is Lilith's body; I was just saying that the giant in Terminal Dogma is Lilith with her original body. On the other hand, I'm almost sure that Rei 1's body is Yui's body recomposed. Then they cloned her.
Regarding the issue of memory, I doubt that souls retain it: otherwise Rei 3 would remember Rei 2's sacrifice: she only remembers up to Rei 2's last LCL bath. I strongly suspect that memories are closer to personalities, they being synthesizable, than they are to souls. But then why does Yui retain memories inside Eva 01? Why does Unit 00 remember Naoko, and not too fondly? I think these issues are still to be solved. To me the story of Gehirn is the most interesting subplot in the series, so essential and still so mysterious. It's incredible how many ideas circulate concerning those events, since the clues we were given are so scarce...

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”