New Evangelion fansub project for the Blu-Ray set

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

New Evangelion fansub project for the Blu-Ray set

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:54 pm

I am currently working on an all new fansub project for the Evangelion Blu-Ray set, the one released in 2015 and the recent re-issue. This new project will be a combination of the Netflix subtitles, as well as the ADV subtitles, basically making it the "best of both worlds". My aim for this is to satisfy everyone, but of course that may not be possible.

Specifically, I'm just copying lines from each source and putting it into one subtitle track, while adjusting a few words to make it all sound correct.

I have already decided that terms like "Third Children" in the Netflix version will be changed back to "Third Child". The conversation between Shinji and Kaworu in Episode 24 will also be looked into as well. No decision has been decided on that yet.

For my progress so far, the REBIRTH portion of DEATH AND REBIRTH (and the same section in End of Evangelion) is already completed, and I have also finished about 1/3rd of the DEATH portion of the movie (including DEATH(TRUE)²). After that, I will work on the individual episodes, and the Revival of Evangelion film.

As of right now, the Blu-Ray set is not in my hands, so I am currently using third-party Chrome extensions to load my subtitles and test them. Once I get my hands on the set and get the subtitles to work, I will upload a few preview videos on YouTube, and release the subtitles later on.

This project will take a while to finish, but once it's done, I hope that anyone waiting will be satisfied.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I will post progress updates often.

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

Re: New Evangelion fansub project for the Blu-Ray set

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:31 pm

AUGUST 19, 2019 - 11:30 PM

I am about 3/4 done with DEATH/DEATH(TRUE)² now. I have changed plans and will work on End of Evangelion after work on DEATH is complete. Afterwards, work on the original series will commence.

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:39 am

AUGUST 20, 2019 - 11:38 AM

DEATH AND REBIRTH and DEATH(TRUE)² are now complete! It's time to move on to End of Evangelion.

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

AUGUST 22, 2019 - 12:02 PM

Work on End of Evangelion has finished! Editing of the original series has begun.

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:06 pm

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:28 pm

also oh my god why is it so hard to find a program to replace subtitles

the blu-ray set has only Japanese subtitles and i just want to replace them with the english subs

why is it so hard??? i don't wanna dump the iso, i don't wanna convert it to mp4, i don't wanna hard code them into the video

i just want to replace one (1) subtitle track and that's it

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:31 pm

View Original PostLinkingHeartZ wrote:i don't wanna dump the iso

Good luck with that! - everything's encoded there - you have no sensible alternative to unpacking it, replacing what you want, and repacking it (but why bother?).

i just want to replace one (1) subtitle track and that's it

Sure - and once the parts are all split out, it's easy!

Once that's done, there are programs to remake a DVD or BD; but I've not run one for years now - I just put the modified copy on my streaming server, so I can play it anywhere!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 pm

View Original PostLinkingHeartZ wrote:https://imgur.com/a/mOmvBJV

Was there a reason not to just link the image directly, like this?

or even just paste the text into a post?

The default early translation is the LTP one, which has the usual Romanization of Tabris' name as opposed to the official one with Anno's quirky use of ヲ; what you call the third translation is almost certainly a transcript of the original DVD release (single frame on the right/below depending on page width, as opposed to the grid of other translations)

ImageImage

FWIW, you don't even need to change a .srt or .ass file's extension. They can be directly opened in text editors, most simply by opening from within the editor (or for anything slightly more sophisticated than notepad, by dragging the file onto the editor window).

EDIT -- add the other two frames from the original ADV DVD for adding to the grid
Image Image
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:32 pm

I had the reply typed out, but I left my laptop for a while, and when I clicked "reply", it asked me to log back in and it erased what I put. I took the screenshot to post somewhere else so I thought I'd put it here. Thanks for the info on the other translation, though!

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:41 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:-unpacking it, replacing what you want, and repacking it.

If I were to repack the ISO, would it be possible to burn it back onto the official Blu-Ray?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:20 pm

(a) If you've changed it, how can it be "official"?
(b) BluRays, like DVDs and CDs before them, are stamped for mass production - they are not in any way a changeable medium. And even if you consider writable disks (which are not generally used for products for same), they can generally only be written sequentially, meaning that the whole disk would have to be rewritten leaving nothing of your "official" original. There is a format for updateable disks, but that is less efficient, and is never used for disks which are not intended to be updated.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

LinkingHeartZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LinkingHeartZ » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:43 am

SEPTEMBER 6, 2019 - 11:30 AM

It's been a bit since my last update, and I'll admit, only a bit of progress was made between the updates. I have been cross-referencing the changes made in D&R/DT² with the original series, and that has been going well. It's not done yet, but it is indeed being worked on.

A new development has occurred, though, and it happened only yesterday. I got in contact with Twitter user @scenik8, another Eva fan that has also been working on his own subtitle project, and we shared a couple of things with each other! One thing we both talked about was a line in End of Eva where Misato is driving Shinji to get him to Unit 01, and she's talking to him about how humans are the 18th Angel.

Apparently this is a common translation issue in both the anime and manga, too.

The original Netflix line is: "Listen carefully, Shinji. Like Adam, we humans also come from the source of life called Lilith. We're the 18th Angel." This error is implying that Adam originally came from Lilith, but that is not correct.

scenik8 and I have discussed this error and have come up with a better line. This new line is as follows: "Just like how the Angels came from Adam, we came from Lilith. We're the 18th Angel."

As we are both in different countries, there is only a select timeframe where we can talk, but I believe it's going well!
Last edited by LinkingHeartZ on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:18 pm

Sephirotic's subs for the Blu-ray already has that line corrected (with wording I contributed, as it happens). You're repeating a lot of work, I suspect.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:31 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sephirotic's subs for the Blu-ray already has that line corrected (with wording I contributed, as it happens). You're repeating a lot of work, I suspect.

I don't want to be a bother but I have to agree. Lots of the lore stuff you've mentioned was corrected in the Khara/Netflix release. I know a few stuff was still left but as it turns out this was a mistake on Netflix's end. http://forum.evageeks.org/post/889685/N ... on/#889685

I just checked and they still haven't corrected this. We should really try and get the subs updated.

"worthy of love" is not a valid translation at all, you're probably seeing a fansub that misheard "koui" as "koi". The ADV subs used "sympathy" and "regard" for the VHS and Platinum DVD releases (not sure about Perfect DVD though, likely something similar. "affection" at the very most but I feel you'd need something that would keep with the vagueness in the original text.

Return to “Fan Works”