Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm

The Wind Rises ignores that stuff just as its protagonist (tries to) ignore it, though it seems to be in the back of his head. The film is self aware about it.
SPOILER: Show
And then at the end comes the unavoidable reminder of war, though yes, the Japanese crimes aren't really shown. But the movie wasn't really about it I'd say. As it is, the movie was already called "anti-Japanese" by some conservatives.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 pm

^ Oh, I know. I'm less calling out Miyazaki for making careful and precise decisions in his stories, and more calling out people for intentionally lacking any nuance or context whenever they try to "call out" someone in a sensationalistic way. Like, Miyazaki isn't even old enough to have been able to have easily talked with actual militant German Nazis in any meaningful fashion. He's a whole 30 years younger than Ishio Honda, a Japanese director that actually fought in WWII at a time when Japan was aligned with Nazi Germany (who also came out of the other end of that war as a pacifist making Godzilla movies). Miyazaki was about 3 years old when WWII ended. By the time Miyazaki would have been able to create and show off manga to any German tank operator still working in the field, the German would have been more weary of Nazis than any Japanese person would have been at the time.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

Details about the making of the video here.

kuribo-04
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 am

∆ Just in case, I was just sharing my thoughts on the matter. Not contradicting you if it sounded like that.
I agree with what you are saying..
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Related Works & People”