Only in Japan...

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Only in Japan...

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed May 22, 2019 2:03 am

Time for us to come into line:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/22/last-name-first-first-name-last-japan-minister-tells-foreign-media-to-get-it-right

Perhaps they need to edit all Wikipedia entries with Japanese names in for us so that we know!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:57 pm

The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:03 am

The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:47 am

I'd probably say that the causality is the other way around, that the same reasons that lead to a decline in birth rate also lead to this kind of phenomenon
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:
No wonder the birth rate is dropping...

Japan always gets these kinds of articles and generally there's lots of talking about their birth rate, but Portugal has an even lower birth rate and, last I checked, it isn't because of Hikikomoris or virtual waifus. It's because many people just have only one kid, or no kids at all.
And, sure, many will say it's because of financial reasons, but we are the richest we've ever been. There was no magical before when raising kids was easier.

Sorry, I kind of used your post just to get this little rant out.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Magical before. I like that phrase.

Well I'd like to share some hypothesis, because reasons. There is such an old, bitter joke from the Midwar period, when two Ukrainians chat on a street of Lviv. "Y'know, but wheat roll is good." "How can you know?" "My uncle saw a Pole eating one."

And I think that's the whole magic: the quality of human life. Once ago life was short, life was sick, life was brutal, life was cheap and easy to lose. But there was one way you could have some fun in your lifetime. It was free for everyone, modulo the shady business of clergy. And voila, you had kids on the streets in large number.

But combine the myriads of ways we can have fun nowadays with the psychoyoke of responsibility you were sold to by some people in the position of authority - even in Japan... - and you'll get it. Once ago raising kids was fun and war was the horror, but in the computer age war is fun and kids are, well.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:10 pm

What do you do when you can't get your fans into the stadium? Use robots instead, obviously. Japanese baseball team Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks have done just that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”