WILLE's relationship to their pilots. (Mild Spoilers)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

WILLE's relationship to their pilots. (Mild Spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:55 am

There's a throwaway line in the new preview that makes me wonder. The line was something like "I liked it better when only the pilots wore these shameful suits!"

And yeah, you could easily rationalize that as one of the new bridge bunny dudes being bitter about the skintight bodysuit, but nobody else gets annoyed at him for saying it, IIRC. This makes me wonder, because that's a fine thing to say about the kids that are keeping you alive.

How does the rest of WILLE really think of their pilots? We all know how much they cared about Shinji, that's obvious, but Asuka and Mari?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: WILLE's relationship to their pilots. (Mild Spoilers)

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 am

Midori likes to complain. Didn't you see 3.0?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Oh, Midori said that? Okay, that makes sense. It doesn’t make it okay, but it makes sense. If any of the dudes said that, then I’d question why they thought that the plug suits were shameful and thought less of them. (I haven’t seen the English subs for the scene yet, so...)

It should be noted that, for whatever reason, the dudes’ suits aren’t skin-tight like the women’s suits are. That’s somewhat disappointing for me. Diegetically sparkling, maybe it has something to do with Wille only being able to recruit female pilots, so they just have plenty of skin-tight variations lying around for women but none for men. Though, I would imagine that size variations with the different women would still mean that it would be more feasible to have everyone wear the same baggy haz-mat suit the guys wear, so diegetically it still doesn’t make any sense to have skin-tight and non-skin right variations.

Non-diegetically speaking, it’s still an odd creative choice. Like, Shinji and Kaworu already have skin-tight uniforms, why not the other bridge bunny dudes?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm

The guys' Anti-L Barrier Hazmat Suits (they're not actually called plugsuits, though that is a lot less to type) actually are skintight.

Why do they get to wear the vest on top while all the women have to show off their breast contours? The fan service levels in Avant 1 are pretty over-the-top. Even the way Maya is leaning over her laptop is lewd.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:24 pm

It was a tad unnecessary too, even as fan service goes. Ritsuko wearing her lab coat over her suit was the only true fan service thing in the entire opening, as far as I’m concerned. No more fan service was needed beyond that.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:40 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The guys' L Barrier Hazmat Suits (they're not actually called plugsuits, though that is a lot less to type) actually are skintight.

Why do they get to wear the vest on top while all the women have to show off their breast contours? The fan service levels in Avant 1 are pretty over-the-top. Even the way Maya is leaning over her laptop is lewd.

So first, from where does that image comes from? Is there an artbook that was released with the screening?
Second, I never noticed until now that their life jacket were the Wunder uniform jacket colored orange, compare :
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:42 pm

I have no issue at all with the sabisu sabisu, though I would prefer it if it was equal and the guys were just as "naked" as the women.
Like this, it feels kinda wrong.

Not really what I payed the most attention to though.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I mean you see the butts not like the dudes have that much to see on the chest :devil: :devil:
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Well, those Wille guys have no JoJo chests, that's for sure haha.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:31 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So first, from where does that image comes from? Is there an artbook that was released with the screening?

Khara released model sheets for Wille's landing crew on one of their twitter accounts. I can't remember if it was the main one or khara2.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”