Avant1 Ver0706 Kaworu Tangent

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: Avant1 Ver0706 Kaworu Tangent

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 am

>no indication

That's nice and all, but detailed arguments have been previously linked to and they don't go away just because you don't want to address them.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 am

I didn't address them because they ignore a lot of things the actual cast and crew said about Kaworu in particular, or bring in works/anecdotes that no one ever said had anything to do with Evangelion. For example, he knows Shinji because according to Akira Ishida, he's been through all this before.

"How should Nagisa Kaworu behave after he’s accumulated several different cycles in his past?" were his exact words.

And, again, there's the obvious bits, like Kaworu putting Shinji's choker around his neck or again, being the only person in the setting to treat him with anything resembling respect. I'm just focusing on the text here or the official statements first and foremost.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Blockio
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:17 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:they ignore a lot of things the actual cast and crew said about Kaworu in particular,

I'm just gonna leave this here...
Tiers of canonicity
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:45 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:I didn't address them because they ignore a lot of things (...) according to Akira Ishida, he's been through all this before.

Well, that just tells me that you didn't even read them, since one of the threads totally addresses that. :tongue: (Though not so much what Ishida said as what Kaworu says in the films themselves, which is... rather more important.)

being the only person in the setting to treat him with anything resembling respect.

Is "respect" a code word for "looking pretty and pretending to coddle someone while grooming them toward an end game you've been planning for 20+ years that you don't respect them enough to tell them about", now?

FelipeFritschF
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:07 am

I remember something about how Ishida said something more like "iterations" in the Japanese and he was talking about it in a meta sense instead of confirming any theory.

I will say though, I find the "only person who treats Shinji well" argument to be almost insulting when we have, say, Misato. The whole point is that real people aren't gonna be 100% nice to you all the time because there is no such thing with real people, but that doesn't mean that they aren't nice at all, even if Shinji thinks otherwise.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:24 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:I didn't address them because they ignore a lot of things the actual cast and crew said about Kaworu in particular, or bring in works/anecdotes that no one ever said had anything to do with Evangelion.

The cast also admit that they have no idea where the series is going, and the only crew member with the pen writing the script is Anno, and I don’t recall him saying that much in interviews about how Kaworu is a sweet and innocent boy.

FelipeFritschF
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Ishida is even asked if piloting Eva 13 is like a love scene (amazing how interviewers for Kaworu-related interviews can't help themselves) and just outright says "I don't think I can make that interpretation. You'll have to ask the director."

Very professional of him, which is more than I can say for many actors out there...

Return to “Evangelion 3.0+1.0 [SPOILERS]”