Does Asuka see Shinji as her Senpai?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Does Asuka see Shinji as her Senpai?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:45 pm

I don't know if this is the topic for this, but I don't think their relationship is fickle teenage lust.
In my personal view that is only what happens on the surface. Yes, they are teenagers in the show, who often have superficial relationships, but the more the show advances and reveals what it's about, the more the characters become vehicles to talk about stuff much more important and heavy than a teenage romance.
I think everything in EoE between Asuka and Shinji has more weight than that.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Does Asuka see Shinji as her Senpai?

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:42 pm

I agree. They are not romantically interested in anyone because they cannot love themselves, so they can't really like anyone else either. Analyzing exactly why that is the case is what makes their relationship interesting, them failing to reach out to each other allows the narrative to explore its themes better. By EoE, of course, they have begun to show signs of change, but they are not done yet. That might or might not imply romance later, but they are still going to have to deal with each other regardless.

Rebuild is a different case though, I am not going to dwelve too deep but whereas they were equals in NGE and even in 2.0, in 3.0 Asuka is more mature and experienced than him, and acts a lot more like Misato, demanding him grow the fuck up and take responsibility for his actions. I imagine in 3.0+1.0 she is going to have a much larger role overall and play a big part in helping Shinji recover.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”