Who will die in Final.

The fate of SPOILERS is also the joy of speculation.
Readers enter at their own risk.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Who will die in Final.

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:25 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:My point was that Rei, in 2.0, actually DOES die. She's been eaten and digested. She has no body of her own. She's dead. (Her soul still being active doesn't negate this, considering so many cultures have in place contingencies for post-death spiritual activity. Ghosts, for instance.) If dying and then having your soul moved into a vessel that's still alive means you "survived" (= never actually died), then, logically, Rei 2 in NGE didn't die either, since her soul was promptly moved into a new body. You could say that NGE!Rei survived even better than her NME counterpart, since at least she got her own body which she can autonomously control, and isn't trapped in the core of an Eva that already had someone in it.

I would still think of the event in ep 23 more as a death than that in 2.0, since Rei III suffered from some sort of memory loss, while Rei in 2.0, at least at the end of that movie, seems to be completely herself.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:17 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I would still think of the event in ep 23 more as a death than that in 2.0, since Rei III suffered from some sort of memory loss, while Rei in 2.0, at least at the end of that movie, seems to be completely herself.

Completely herself, except of course she has no body. The next Rei we see with a body (Rei Q) does indeed lack the memories of the previous Rei, and is in fact much more of a blank slate than Rei III was relative to Rei II in the original series, because no apparent memory upload was given to Rei Q.
- Sachi

I host an unofficial EGF discord server. The usual suspects are here. https://discord.gg/Djzkh8Q

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 am

She has no body, but storytellingwise I wouldn't consider her to be "dead" (whatever that is defined as exactly in Evangelion).

While the Rei Q thing is true, she isn't the equivalent of Rei III in NGE. She isn't actually the same soul, just a clone. So her state of mind I wouldn't use to measure Rei II's deadness. I'm pretty sure Rei II will show up in Shin and have continuity of memory.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Evangelion 3.0+1.0 [SPOILERS]”