1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 am

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM WEBSITES AND BOOKS I'VE BEEN READING, ALONG WITH THINGS I STUMBLED ACROSS, AS OF 18:29 - 5/APRIL/2019.

Hey there, everyone! I hope y'all are doing well!

It's been quite a while since the last time I last updated this project (nearly six months, I think - yikes!), and that's because I've been working towards something pretty big. I mentioned in a previous post explaining my absence that I was working away on a spreadsheet version of the suggestions list, which includes more information such as the country it was made in, the nature of the film, and a little more. Well, it's finally, finally finished. And here it is:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AqVD-HKcr39Sgx0SqE2u5i2AgeC3

Doing this gave me the chance to more accurately cover the films I'd already listed, finding proper or alternate names, removing any accidental duplicates I made over the last two years, and seeing how many films were actually in the list. I've also included the recommendations and suggestions I found while creating the spreadsheet, with 82 new inclusions. Combined with corrections, that leaves the total number of films at 3999.

That number's not just insane and amazing, but it's also very important in a particular way. For those who don't know, the idea behind this project was to gather as many films as possible before narrowing it down to a final 1001. To stop the suggestions gathering part of the project from going on forever, I established a limit of 4000 films - and we're one film short of that, but I'm going to consider that goal to have finally been reached.

What that means is that this is going to be the final update to the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Project: something that started exactly two years today (April 9th), and something I never thought would be so interesting. My original goal for this project was to prove to the world how much there was to the world of animation beyond mainstream American and Japanese films and children's shows, and that absolutely happened for me.

There are so many directors, animators, shorts, films, TV shows, music videos, and so much more that I never would have discovered had I not started this project, and it's one of the greatest things to have ever happened to me. There's no hyperbole when I say that: I can't be thankful enough for all of it, and I hope that I can do something even remotely close for other people by going somewhere with this project.

On that note, I admit that I'm a bit nervous about moving forward with this project. My overall idea is to try and contact as many people as possible; animation enthusiasts, animation historians, maybe even directors and animators; to get more perspectives in and to narrow the ridiculous number of films down to a list of 1001 essential animated works. But I'm quite bad at networking and promoting things I'm doing, so I'm not quite sure how to go about that just yet.

However, I'll hopefully find a way, and within a few years, maybe this project will turn into something that you can buy in a shop and read - and maybe people will realize that there's way more going on in animation than the likes of Disney and Ghibli, and that they'll find something that inspires them in any way possible. If I can do that, I'll be more than happy to try and move forward with this project.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this project over the last few years; through suggestions or recommendations for films I'd never heard of before, through feedback and ideas on grey areas that had me puzzled, through writing books and articles that I read to find more information, and so much more. I also want to thank my family and friends, both online and offline, for giving me emotional support and being there for me on days when I wasn't feeling great about much (not even this project) - you all mean the world to me, and I can't thank you enough just for being there.

And with that, I'm going to close this phase of the 1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Project. Thank you for sticking around, however long you've been doing so, and I hope to see y'all again someday to announce that this has gotten somewhere big. Until then, have a great life!

-Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000

SPOILER: Show
Paul Cronin
Richard Cross
Laura McGrath
Dave McGrath
tamerlane
Daniel Thomas MacInnes
Jerry Beck
Fred Patten
Steve Stanchfield
Chris Patmore