[NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: [NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:23 pm

AWL stating that there were auditions for the role is admittedly better than some random dude on Twitter saying “Hey, this is happening,” which is basically what happened before.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:45 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Here's a question I just thought up: Is there a chance this whole matter is due to union rules, whether actors are part of an actor's union or not? I don't know if Netflix uses union or nonunion actors for voiceacting, but it could be a factor.

Not sure about Netflix, but Funimation is non-union. James Marsters is SAG and when he voiced Zamasu for Dragon Ball Super, FighterZ and Xenoverse, he did so as "Nate Gray" and "Sam Majesters."
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

I am curious about how the dub will actually be handled. Not just as far as the actual acting goes, but the text as well. It seems to me that Netflix has a very... peculiar way of doing dubs, since, while they don't exacly try to make their localization give an impression that the movie/show takes place in the actual country you're watching it from, they try "port" cultural nuances, wordplay and such and the results are... mixed?

They adapted some of the wordplays in Stranger Things to make them sound culturally relevant in other languages. And I am not sure if it was deliberate, but the English dub of two Brazilian shows I've watched seems to be made with Brazilian voice actors, they have a slight accent of a fluent speaker, but then when they pronounce the name of a city or something, it is completely correct. Not like an Engrish dub with Neuru Yorkuru or something.

You might say this could just be because some people didn't like the show – whether they were watching with subtitles or dubbing – but it's happened with other foreign-language shows too. According to Netflix, 81% of people in English-speaking countries watched German mystery drama Dark dubbed.

Stranger Things dub consumption by country
Country Dub consumption
Italy 84%
Germany 80
Spain 79
Brazil 75
Mexico 72
Chile 71
Colombia 71
France 70
Argentina 67
Poland 44
Japan 28

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a857326/n ... sions-how/

Whether dubbed or subtitled, translations of US-centric terms like “demogorgon” required extra care. The term is borrowed by the kids in the show from the fantasy role-playing game Dungeons and Dragons to refer the monster in their town. To be authentic to fans and the time period, Netflix went back and found the local translations to those words in the 1980s. In French, it was “le démogorgon,” for example.

And then, of course, there’s Eleven’s signature snack, Eggo, the frozen-waffle brand that plays a key role in her character’s cultural awakening. In some languages, Netflix left the brand name as is. But in others, Netflix replaced it with words that better described the snack food, like “gofres” in Castilian Spanish and “panquequas,” or pancakes, in Portuguese. In the Thai subtitles, Netflix transliterated the brand name, “เอกโก.”

https://qz.com/1107696/how-netflix-tran ... -globally/

Those two English dubs for the Brazilian shows are... very cringe-worthy for a Brazilan. However, so are all dubbed Brazilian movies and shows I've seen. So perhaps I am biased. Can't say. Acting seems to be very subpar. Say, I've watched La Casa de Papel (Money Heist). It is awful, because I can understand the Spanish Spanish just fine. The officially-supplied Netflix dubs are exactly the same text as the English dub. And they clearly change a lot of stuff to make it sound natively American. For instance, the "Fábrica Nacional de Moeda y Timbre" is rendered as the "Royal Mint of Spain". It translates literally as "National Factory of Coin and Stamp". A normal translation would be more like "National Gold and Stamp Mint", because English doesn't use "factory" in that way, whereas Spanish as far as I can tell has no special "mint" word.

Perhaps Netflix!NGE is gonna take place in Boston-3. With First Kid, Ray, Second Kid Alice, and Third Kid Simon.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:55 pm

According to this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/evangelion/com ... the_redub/

Tiffany Grant and AWL have both removed their FB and Twitter posts about the Netflix dub. This could either mean they have been told to shut up, or that there has been some change. However, as I have also speculated there, what effect would Netflix telling them to shut up have anyway? They don't have a contract with them so they wouldn't be obliged to do anything. Unless they now DO have a contract with them. Both Miyamura and Tiffany have always mentioned how hard it was to perform as Asuka, same for Shinji and Rei's VA. Eva is just a very demanding show with a very large legacy so fucking it up could reflect badly on Netflix. Perhaps they did reconsider. Not to mention that, if khara has gotten wind of this, it is possible they wanted to keep consistency with the Rebuild dubs, since after all the Netflix release is also acting as promotion for 3+1.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Dubbing 10 hours of footage in two months? Would that work out?
Maybe they realized this could be seen as rude towards whoever the new actors are (I mean it's not that bad, but we already know there will be backlash against the new actors just for not being the old ones).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Khara wanting consistency between NGE and NTE dubs would mean AWL playing Rei in NTE, and that’s not happening. I literally don’t think Anno is that invested in the English dubs.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:32 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:what effect would Netflix telling them to shut up have anyway? They don't have a contract with them so they wouldn't be obliged to do anything.

They're being clearly unprofessional and saying shit that's either wrong or that they're not supposed to be sharing publicly. I'm not sure what explanation is really here, beyond them possibly receiving some kind of reminder (coercive, or otherwise) that there are consequences down the road for being so unprofessional, especially if they, say, don't cooperate with the requests of the PR department. They bitch about not getting a job on the Eva dub, sure, but what are the odds of them getting jobs with Netflix EVER if they refuse to shut their holes about this?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:30 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:what effect would Netflix telling them to shut up have anyway? They don't have a contract with them so they wouldn't be obliged to do anything.

Maybe there was an NDA signed at the time of the audition, and they have been reminded of that.

Maybe Funimation have told them that it reflects badly on their relationship.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:58 am

^ Yeah, that makes more sense than anything. AWL voicing her thoughts on not playing Rei kinda makes sense here, but why literally anyone else from the original English cast now hired onto the NTE dub is vocalizing concern perplexes me. Spike Spencer will still be English Shinji in 2020, guys. Cool your jets.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm

s/now/not/
presumably...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Tiffany Grant edited (not removed) her original post to a [mouth closed by a zipper] emoji. So I am guessing this is most likely a hint that they did tell her to shut up.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue May 21, 2019 6:43 pm

So, we're officially only a month away from the premiere date and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any additional press releases or new information about the status of the release or the new dub.

Kinda thought that they would have released something in the past couple months since they announced the release date, but I guess not.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:So, we're officially only a month away from the premiere date and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any additional press releases or new information about the status of the release or the new dub.

Kinda thought that they would have released something in the past couple months since they announced the release date, but I guess not.

Nope there hasn't been, aside from Amanda confirming she was under an NDA in regards to Evangelion.

Edit: Ray (Guy who got banned for being consistently negative about 3.0+1.0 and refuse to accept any other opinion about it) just said that apparently; what's left of ADV wanted a handout for the rights to use it so Netflix did a new dub as a cost-cutting measure.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:02 am

∆ Seems like redubbing the show is something they are doing in many countries. I suspect it could be all or most of the countries Eva will be available in.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed May 22, 2019 4:22 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:So, we're officially only a month away from the premiere date and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any additional press releases or new information about the status of the release or the new dub.

I've been checking this thread daily in the hopes of getting new information. Ain't I pathetic?

View Original PostMicrosoft_Sam wrote:Nope there hasn't been, aside from Amanda confirming she was under an NDA in regards to Evangelion.

Edit: Ray (Guy who got banned for being consistently negative about 3.0+1.0 and refuse to accept any other opinion about it) just said that apparently; what's left of ADV wanted a handout for the rights to use it so Netflix did a new dub as a cost-cutting measure.

Is this Ray guy an industry insider or something? If he's telling the truth, I guess my ridiculous hope of celebrity casting is officially BTFO.

penguintruth
Lilith

Postby penguintruth » Wed May 22, 2019 5:01 am

It puts a real smile on my face that neither Spencer or Grant will be allowed to drag down this new dub. Though it could have its own host of problems, depending on the ADR studio and new cast. Which, by the way, I’m impatiently awaiting the reveal of.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote: Is this Ray guy an industry insider or something? If he's telling the truth, I guess my ridiculous hope of celebrity casting is officially BTFO.

No, he's not. He's about as clueless as we are.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 30, 2019 12:38 am

Interestingly, a mere month after Neon Genesis Evangelion goes worldwide on Netflix -will they shrewdly label it a Netflix Original?- Khara will be releasing new Blu-ray & DVD boxsets of NGE marked as a "Standard Edition" on July 24th. I think the deal is the 2015 Boxset release of the series is out of print & hard to find so this is a more basic repackaging. Can't make sense of much else. At first I thought it was just the TV series by itself without the movies but maybe it literally is everything that was in the original super-deluxe release, I don't know. Curious thing is it happens so close to when Netflix's "exclusivity" on NGE begins.

Well, that and late July has been a primo time for Evangelion: Final related news drops since 2017....

https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/eva_bdboxse/

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:30 am

I also get the impression this is supposed to be the accesible version of the show. Though it's still 18.000 yen, which is quite a lot.
But for Japanese blurays it's a normal price I think.

scenikeight
Embryo

Postby scenikeight » Thu May 30, 2019 5:49 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Interestingly, a mere month after Neon Genesis Evangelion goes worldwide on Netflix -will they shrewdly label it a Netflix Original?- Khara will be releasing new Blu-ray & DVD boxsets of NGE marked as a "Standard Edition" on July 24th. I think the deal is the 2015 Boxset release of the series is out of print & hard to find so this is a more basic repackaging. Can't make sense of much else. At first I thought it was just the TV series by itself without the movies but maybe it literally is everything that was in the original super-deluxe release, I don't know. Curious thing is it happens so close to when Netflix's "exclusivity" on NGE begins.

Well, that and late July has been a primo time for Evangelion: Final related news drops since 2017....

https://www.evangelion.co.jp/news/eva_bdboxse/

It is literally everything in the 2015 release. It vaguely notes having "different specifications" but what that refers to I have no idea. Looks identical to the specifications on the 2015 one to me.

Notably, the Bluray and DVDs will also be releasing in individual discs as well, like Eva did originally, so you don't HAVE to buy the box set if you don't want to. Each disc is between 3,300~3,800 yen plus tax (depending on whether you get the DVD or Bluray) and has four episodes. It seems like it will only be the director's cut versions of 21 through 24 available in the individual discs. It works out a lot more expensive than buying the box set if my maths is right.

As far as I understand it, the 2015 version was mostly just "collector's edition" because of the limited quantity and this is the first widespread release of the show remastered physically. If a new physical version ever comes to the West, it will be like this one, I'm sure.
Also, its implied only the DVDs (for whatever reason) use the 2015 master. Maybe it was in-part remastered again for Netflix and it's being released at around the same time because of that? I get the impression Netflix wouldn't be too happy with the poor work done on episode 15 (iirc), so perhaps that's been fixed for this version.
Either way, this is surprisingly affordable for a physical Eva release. I'm excited to pick this one up at some point.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”