Height Chart Leak (Whoops...)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Zeruss
Adam

Re: Shin Eva - Official Social Media

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Here's a fun... thing?
Made a comparison GIF that shows Asuka, Shinji and Rei's models as presented in the 3.0 artbook (and in that silhouetted teaser ad for 3.0), overlayed on their respective shapes in the leaked/deleted photo.

The legs and overall body placement are easily matched, followed by the facial features and other plugsuit details... Which basically shows the models used are the same? With the only difference being Rei's plugsuit, most noticeably the color, which looks lighter in the photo (perhaps a hint to a white plugsuit variant).

SPOILER: Show
I'm a lurker at heart.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:41 pm

The only way to really tell if it was a mistake is to repost the leaked photo and see if Toho files a DMCA over it. If they do (like they did for a leaked trailer) then it was an honest mistake. If they don’t, then it probably wasn’t.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:00 pm

View Original PostZeruss wrote:Here's a fun... thing?
Made a comparison GIF that shows Asuka, Shinji and Rei's models as presented in the 3.0 artbook (and in that silhouetted teaser ad for 3.0), overlayed on their respective shapes in the leaked/deleted photo.

The legs and overall body placement are easily matched, followed by the facial features and other plugsuit details... Which basically shows the models used are the same? With the only difference being Rei's plugsuit, most noticeably the color, which looks lighter in the photo (perhaps a hint to a white plugsuit variant).

Nicely done Zeruss! Do you have an unedited version of the original image?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 pm

OOOOOOOOOO So exciting!!!! I was pretty sure those guys were still alive. The way they were referenced in 3.0 was so vague and noncommittal to either outcome, I figured it was just framed so that Shinji and the audience would assume that were dead and they would be revealed in 3.0+1.0.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

qmisato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby qmisato » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 pm

View Original PostZeruss wrote:For anyone interested, here's an edit of the first photo that is a bit clearer on the names and most of the heights...
Though the five names on the right side are almost illegible (as is the annotation below Kensuke's height).

*Edit: updated image

Thank you, Zeruss and Reichu, for annotating/editing this.

This character chart is really bizarre. Toji, Hikari, Kensuke, Asuka, Shinji, and Rei's annotations are formatted in a uniform, in-line shape, but the characters that follow Rei to the right have their names/heights positioned haphazardly. Some characters look as though they aren't provided corresponding heights. Makes me think the characters that follow Rei are nameless grunts, but then, why would they take up space with Shinji et al?

(Also, because the introductions thread is locked, hello! Hi. Some of you may know me. I decided to join today.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I can make out Koji Takao (seiyuu none other than Akio Otsuka (Captain Nemo in Nadia, Snake in MGS)) to the right (with Hideki standing in between them?)

It feels too early to make random character guesses of who's who, although I'm sure we'll get Kaworu in some form. Pen Pen and Kaji would be a dream come true :lol: I guess somewhere down the line (e.g. once Shin Eva's out), we'll get a character chart/reveal like we did for 3.0 before and after?

I forgot to comment on this in my earlier post, but EvaFan agrees how Khara's tweet was definitely a mixup/error: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-5761.html Regarding the workflow that Khara2 Twitter sometimes gives insight on, there's apparently 6 volumes of materials with things like "Characters/accessories setting", "art boards setting" and "art setting" which is still increasing! (設定 = setting. I never know how to render that...)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:40 pm

If the school bois are grouped with Shinji and co, what if they are wearing plug suits too? :gendoscheme:

(Hi qmisato!)
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:35 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:The only way to really tell if it was a mistake is to repost the leaked photo and see if Toho files a DMCA over it.

Hah.

An Italian account long since posted the leak since Khara2 took the picture down,

BUT, I think otherwise reuploading the image (especially for those trying to remain spoiler-free and since Khara's still working on Shin Eva to begin with), reeks of overall disrespect, you know? Maybe that's just me :shrug:

Sworzen
Embryo

[Spoilers] Accidental leaked info from @khara_inc2 tweet

•      
  •      

Postby Sworzen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:53 am

They have already deleted the tweet, but some people got the image and someone has treated it so you can read the text in the lower part

Original photo
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ls5M5Eo

Edited photo
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/lQFwnSJ

Edit:
1st post, I dunno how to add spoilers propperly :(

EDIT: Fixed

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:05 am

@Qmisato: Welcome to the board! You're looking for this thread, I think -- it replaces the last locked introductions thread.

@SSD: It feels like EvaFan is just being diplomatic, to me... It "seems to be a miss" is entirely on khara 2's say-so; EvaFan's own thoughts were that it was intentional. If you're a high profile, respected blogger, it's better to just go with the flow. Defying "creative authority" and propagating media conspiracies for the sake of clicks is super common over here, but it feels like way less of a thing in Japan. The whole culture around media hype and entitlement feels completely different. (I do admit that I could be a completely uninformed gaijin on the matter...)

I guess ultimately it doesn't much matter, but it is near impossible for me to shake off just how damned calculated this whole thing feels for the reasons I previously enumerated. (It brings to mind the whole "staged Asian GIFs" thing, I dunno why...)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Hmm, I'm pretty sure I can make out Koji Takao (seiyuu none other than Akio Otsuka (Captain Nemo in Nadia, Snake in MGS)) to the right (with Hideki standing in between them?)

Remember though...

高雄コウジ (5 characters)
玉ヒデキ (4 characters)

The right-most person in the chart has four characters in their name, and the second one looks like a 力 or カ. Second-to-right person only has two kanji for their name.

Good bet none of the other people who are visible are actual characters as such, and are instead just background extras. (Neatly explaining the "name is just two kanji" case. It's not a name at all -- it's whatever that person IS.) If my thought that there's a height chart for every scene has any merit, that explains why we see the main trio here but no Mari or Wunder crew -- because the latter are all somewhere else at the time. If there's ever a scene where the main trio is back on the Wunder, there could be a separate chart. Wonder if that leaves hope that we'll still see Kaji and even Pen Pen, or not? (I probably shouldn't get my hopes up, since it would feel really cheap if EVERYONE from the original cast survived those 14 years, but I just can't help it...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am

Toji/Hikari/Kensuke surviving is kind of expected, but still cool. This just opens up a bunch of questions into what happened to them as well between the events of 2.0 and 3.0:

-Are Toji and Hikari married? Do they have a kid?
-Is Kensuke a badass special forces agent or tech guru?
-What are their relationships like with Asuka, Mari, and Misato?

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I think we'll hear a lot of Gunbuster soundtrack cues in the Final score. Anno has been smartly re-contextualizing musical bits from his previous anime series in Rebuild. Gunbuster is the major one left I don't recall (though I could be wrong) getting a callback/re-contextualized in the series so far.
1.0 was mostly reused music from Neon Genesis. 2.0 incorporated a lot of tracks from His & Her Circumstances. And 3.0 used a solid amount of cues from Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.

Would not be surprised if some famous & obscure cues from Gunbuster get re-used for similar scenes in Final.

I remember speculating on this being a possibility years ago, but I ultimately think Gunbuster OST references are less likely because, unlike Kare Kano and Nadia, Sagisu didn't do the music for it in the first place.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Height Chart Leak (Mistake or Otherwise)

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:05 am

I'm #TeamIntentional. They blur everything all the time and somehow a super evident leak like this happens? I don't buy it. Native Japanese people were able to read the text without even editing the image, for sure they knew the names were readable.

I don't know why they would do something like this however.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:31 am

I don’t know if the leak really was intentional or not, but here are a few things to consider before bandwagoning.

1) Khara is NOT that experienced with social media marketing. As far as I know, very few anime productions give any sort of updates on social media, and this is the first film Khara’s been making where they’ve decided to frequently update its audience. In this context, this could be a rookie mistake. Remember, this isn’t Anno himself running around with an iPhone tweeting away about his project. (And Anno is probably too busy with production to give detailed instructions about social media advertising.) These posts are probably (low-wage/unpaid) inters supporting the production anyway they’re told. (Incidents like this leak could be the reason why Eva Q wasn’t marketed similarly.)

2) Toho is VERY experienced in traditional marketing, and actively tries to prevent non-traditional forms of advertisement. The online leak of the teaser was enough to incline them to take action against illegal uploads of their leaked trailer. Their silence on this is an interesting factor, to say the least.

3) You can only take so many pictures of pencil boxes and blurred pages before someone feels the need to spice it up a bit.

Crap, these points just confuse matters even more! Never mind.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:37 am

I feel the need to remind people we got confirmation Hikari's actress has a role in the film. So this whole thing isn't that crazy/unexpected.
I think it's intentional.
A 0$ budget way of attracting attention before trailers and stuff.
They are probably saving actual pics of characters for later. This is a nice tease.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:14 am

@Reichu: Your post honestly confused me momentarily! :lol: My post about EvaFan reporting the news vs fans openly blabbing about the spoilers (e.g. not considering people that want to stay spoiler free) were 2 separate forum posts. I mean, in Khara2 apology's Tweet, immediately there were English fans in the replies openly discussing the leak :facepalm:

I just think it's a situation where a bit more tact is good, you know?

I 100% agree with Freaky that because Khara isn't well-versed in social media (and they have, what, at least 3 Twitter accounts they're running?) that this was a mistake on their part. Their various script thickness/studio look-around picture uploads in the past always made a point to blur this and that. Mistakes naturally happen.

That aside, it's pretty cool to just see how much volumes of work EvaFan reported about the character/art sheets that Khara's been referencing. I mean, 6 volumes of materials with it increasing? :bigeyes:

@kuribo-04: That Eva New Year's party wasn't exactly confirmation of anything, moreso all the staff were getting together and hanging out. (The tweets mentioned how voice work hadn't even happened yet.)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I feel the need to remind people we got confirmation Hikari's actress has a role in the film.

Which by itself doesn't mean anything, seeing how she also voiced Hikari's sisters in Shinkalion.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Hm, I see where you're coming from.
But I think it was still pretty clearly a hint.
It was specifically a Shin Eva event. And Hikari's sisters have never been part of NGE or Rebuild.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:55 pm

It somewhat looks like Asuka has white hair (or at least very much lighter than her usual color).

Also, based on the patterns on Hikari's legs, plugsuit?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

qmisato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby qmisato » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm

I think the tweet was intentional, but Khara'll be damned if people have that impression. They've been really good at avoiding this kind of thing for two years. The spoilers were right smack dab on the front page. They posted multiple versions of the front page. They painstakingly made efforts to blur out small words right over Toji's head. If it was absolutely a flub, it's a mortifying, embarrassing one, and someone's getting fired.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Good bet none of the other people who are visible are actual characters as such, and are instead just background extras. [...] Wonder if that leaves hope that we'll still see Kaji and even Pen Pen, or not? (I probably shouldn't get my hopes up, since it would feel really cheap if EVERYONE from the original cast survived those 14 years, but I just can't help it...)

The character two spaces to the right of Rei is legit, I think, because they come with a name and a height, and their name/height is properly formatted in-line with the rest of the cast.

If not one, or two, but all three of Shinji's ex-classmates are alive, then Kaji must also be alive. (Not that I ever thought there was a chance he could be dead. I'm certain he's a shoe-in for the final movie: he's the Patron Granddaddy Saint of Wille, and dispensed with the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, which will undoubtedly pay a huge role moving forward. Plus, Koji's cheeky little quip. There's just no way he's dead.)

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Which by itself doesn't mean anything, seeing how she also voiced Hikari's sisters in Shinkalion.

I don't think it's meaningless. The NYE party was expressly to celebrate voice work on Shin Eva, whether the actual work had started or not. If Koichi Yamadera had been photographed there, people would definitely make a fuss about it. It's just that Hikari's voice actor is less known, at least among Western fans, so we weren't primed to think anything of her being there. Until now.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:11 pm

I dunno, man. The cat’s been out of the bag for a while now, what with the VAs for these characters already having been confirmed. Like, none of that size chart is tantalizing after that. I see no reason to stage a leak for publicity’s sake. I also see no reason for them to have deleted it either.

But, then again, maybe the strongest argument to this being staged is the fact that none of the information leaked was new or revealing anyway? If the leak simply repeats what’s already been confirmed, then why not use this harmless illustration to stage a leak?

I guess my ultimate point is that it’s no big deal either way. Like, sure, at first it seemed earth-shattering to me, but then I remembered that nothing new was revealed, so what does it matter? I’m just glad they haven’t accidentally revealed the fact that Mari has actually been an Evangelion Unit this whole time. That would have been devastating.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”