Movie format for Rebuild? Will they go beyond dvd?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JP
Adam

Movie format for Rebuild? Will they go beyond dvd?

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am

I was thinking. The final movie is supposed to be due a bit before 2009? Right? A lot can happen in a year+. Some anime companies like Funimation and Geneon have been talking about using the HD formats in the near future. Do you think Rebuild (maybe a 4 disk set) will be released in Blu-ray or hd-dvd? I think it would be a huge promoter in the format war. Especially since the PS3's bluray is whoopin the 360's hd-dvd in Japan.
The pregnancy is now absolute.

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:33 am

When (and i know this is far off) they bring out Rebuild dvd to the west, i hope it's in HD-DVD, not Blu-ray. I am not forking out £500 for a PS3. :evil:
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:45 am

You, uh... you know, you don't need a PS3 to play Blu-ray...
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Indigo Arcangel
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Indigo Arcangel » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:49 am

oh... :oops:
sorry
Normality is overrated

Kaworu/Asuka - give it a chance!
(Clarification - I still like Asuka/Shinji)

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:51 am

i heared blue ray players cost around 1000$ and with that a ps3 doesn't seem so bad(it's kinda like a cheaper bluray player).
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:17 pm

NAveryW wrote:You, uh... you know, you don't need a PS3 to play Blu-ray...

No it's just cheeper to. :P
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

the3rdchildren
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby the3rdchildren » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:19 pm

I read somewhere (no idea where) that the original Rebuild was actually remastered in high definition, so I expect we'll see a Blu Ray release of that eventually. As for the movie Rebuild it all depends on whether or not anime has been successful in HD or not. I don't see why it won't be as animation looks stunning from what I've seen.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:25 pm

Come on people, this is Gainax. It will be released on every format possible.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:29 pm

Do I think they will release this on more futuristic formats than plain DVD? You can bet your ass a HD version of Eva '96 is in the works already.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Of course there will be an HD release of Rebuild and the original series. Some anime companies are already releasing titles on either HD-DVD or Blu-ray. As for the original series, it would be neat if they were to add more than just an upscale in resolution. They could add or modify some footage to make all episodes like the director's cut of the latters. Or, even better, they could redraw the whole thing from scratch à la Rebuild (but this is highly unlikely).
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:06 pm

AuthenticM wrote:As for the original series, it would be neat if they were to add more than just an upscale in resolution. They could add or modify some footage to make all episodes like the director's cut of the latters.

People (including myself) would freak out and be mega pissed off if they did something like that. It's too George Lucas-ish an idea to fly.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Brik-kun wrote:Come on people, this is Gainax. It will be released on every format possible.
If that turns out to be true, wouldn't this be the first time a studio allows a title to be released on both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats?
AuthenticM wrote:
Brik-kun wrote:As for the original series, it would be neat if they were to add more than just an upscale in resolution. They could add or modify some footage to make all episodes like the director's cut of the latters.
People (including myself) would freak out and be mega pissed off if they did something like that.
Hasn't that already been done? :wink:

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:07 pm

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:
Brik-kun wrote:Come on people, this is Gainax. It will be released on every format possible.
If that turns out to be true, wouldn't this be the first time a studio allows a title to be released on both the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats?

No, other studios are doing that right now in the U.S.

Hasn't that already been done? :wink:

I was thinking more along the lines of adding random shit in the background which is what Lucas did to Star Wars. That is something I am 100% against. Adding extra scenes would be ok as long as you still have the option to watch the original version.
Awesomely Shitty

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:24 pm

AuthenticM wrote:They could add or modify some footage to make all episodes like the director's cut of the latters. Or, even better, they could redraw the whole thing from scratch à la Rebuild (but this is highly unlikely).

If they really wanted to make money, they would have an alternate video track where all of the female characters are completely naked. Now that my friends would sell like hot cakes.

They should hide the extra and call it "hot coffee".

Fearthebait
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fearthebait » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:26 pm

I would buy it! but only for the interesting dialog of course....
You can't spell slaughter without laughter!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:09 pm

@ EM: :lol:

...Um, as long as they release it as regular DVDs (especially in the states) for people who don't keep up with teh technology like me, I'd be happy.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BLACKANGEL32076
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby BLACKANGEL32076 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:37 pm

I just hope they don't pull that "only available on HD-DVD" like Michael Bay did with Transformers.
-...because a lot can happen in 24hrs.
-"Consistancy people, consistancy!!!"-George Carlin

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:56 pm

BLACKANGEL32076 wrote:I just hope they don't pull that "only available on HD-DVD" like Michael Bay did with Transformers.

He didn't, Paramount did. Michael Bay somewhat threatened to not join Transformers 2 if they excluded a Blu-Ray release.

Bay bashing is old and unjustified now.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Szmitten wrote:Bay bashing is old and unjustified now.

Old? Yes. Unjustified? Never. :D
Awesomely Shitty

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:01 pm

I hope the DVD releases will be longer than the theatrical's. I don't think 4.5 hours is enough to tell Evangelion properly. Six hours should be the minimum.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”