Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: Super Smash Bros

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:45 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:On the whole- character selections online are quite varied these days, which is nice to see.

To me it's a ringing endorsement of the value of being able to rebalance a game after release. Tiers aren't a feature, they're a bug.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:08 pm

Do you guys remember they announced that Cloud, Korin, and somebody else were getting Amiibos for Smash? Anyone know if they specified a timeframe?

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:28 pm

No specified date. Probably in the summer.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:59 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:To me it's a ringing endorsement of the value of being able to rebalance a game after release. Tiers aren't a feature, they're a bug.

Yeah, it does feel like the game is much more focused on skill than character tier, especially in comparison to Brawl. It seems that any character can be viable now as long as they're not facing someone who counters them in every way and you can play them well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Charizard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Charizard » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:09 am

I main Charizard (hence my username)

*goes to cry in a corner*
My main hobby is dressing up as a 14-year-old girl
Instagram|Cosplay Facebook

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - E3 2018 - Nintendo Switch

Blimey. The complete roster? To be released this year? Let's just hope Sakurai doesn't kill himself getting everything working.

Bomberman is in! Yay! As an assist? Boo.
Glad my main Robin stays in, kind of annoyed Corrin gets to return though.
Happy to see Palutena get a joint counter/reflector, and free up the side B for an offensive move.
Remote bombs for Blunic Link? Interesting. If nothing else it'll at least help vary the play-styles between the three versions of Link.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:32 pm

After years of inactivity on my end, I reconnected my Wii and started playing the hell out of Brawl. My least favorite level is the Donkey and Diddy Kong stage due to having to constantly worry about getting away from the bottom which keeps giving way as the world keeps going up and up. Usually due to luck do I get past that place. As for which characters I am good at playing with, while Mario and Kirby are of course good for me I also have a fondness for picking Zelda since so far, I progressed the most with her up to the fifth stage.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Smash Direct THIS wednesday.
Get hype
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:42 pm

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 8.8.2018

It's funny- I've never been a big fan of the Castlevania games (only ever played IV), but seeing that whip- feeling that "Oh, it's HIM" moment really made me smile. Those reveal videos are art.
Chrom is in? Pfftlol. Whatever. Fire Emblem Echoes indeed.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 am

This game is looking absolutely amazing.
Stage switching during battles! (Even if only once that's awesome)
Still hoping for Xenoblade's Rex.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Isabelle reveal
Isabelle preview
Not exactly a "Simon lashes out" quality reveal, but that free-fall animation is just precious.

*Edit- Why is it so difficult to find these damn videos? I have to grab the links off the smash wiki.

The more gameplay videos I see- the more bothered I am by those ugly plumes of pink smoke whenever player 1 launches an opponent. The effect is too conspicuous.
I really hate that mini-screen that shows up whenever a player nears the blast zone. Who needs it? The magnifying glass already does what that display does. I'm hoping it can be toggled off.
The term "Echo Fighter" might be one of the smartest marketing inventions in recent memory for gaming. "Clones"? That's just lazy and cheap. "Echo Fighter"? Yeah, I'll have one of those.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I am hype for this game to an unimaginable extent.
Things like trophies not coming back and no Rex have been digested. I'll play so many hours.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:08 am

So, its been a couple of weeks. Some thoughts:

Good stuff
> Fast loading times. Having played Sm4sh on 3DS for the last 3 years it's nice to not have to wait 2 minutes for the damn game to load up.
> Spirit mode. Some of the 4-star challenges are unfair beyond belief (5 vs 1 battles against strong winds and lava floor can sod-off), but it's deliciously addictive.
> Codename: STEAM got spirit representation. Just makes me happy to see this overlooked game get any kind of acknowledgement.

Bad stuff
> The game doesn't remember your palette preferences. And some of my favourite palettes (yellow Robin and Tiki-Lucina) look hideous on the switch.
> Sensitive controls. Something I'll just have to adapt to over time, but lordy- tilting and short-hopping is pot-luck in this game. You have to touch the stick/button as gently as you would a glass newborn.
> AI using Fire Flowers. They trap me perfectly and empty all of it on me every goddamn time, I use it on them and they immediately wiggle out.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”