[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:36 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Netflix period piece cult horror film Apostle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JdWOqc9Q8
Heh, reminds me of how in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon he wasn't allowed to throw direct punches

That was actually a universal policy applied to all cartoons airing on Fox Kids at the time. Physical violence against human characters, especially kicking and punching, had to be either not shown or visually censored. Superhero cartoons were especially badly affected by it. For example, in the X-men cartoon, which aired around the same time, Wolverine was only allowed to use his claws on inanimate objects or robots. The Thing in the Fantastic Four cartoon wasn't allowed to "clobber" humans, only monsters and aliens.

However, sometimes this allowed the creators to get more creative rather than less. When the writers for Batman: The Animated Series (which aired in syndication on Fox affiliates before being picked up by KidsWB) were told that they couldn't show the Joker physically attacking his victims, they came up with an alternate solution: they would show him flashing his signature "Joker Grin" at the victim, and then the screen would fade. Bruce Timm, the head animator for the series, commented that this was actually scarier than just showing him attacking.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:04 am

Aladdin live action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g5knnlF7Zo

Not really feeling this one tired of Disney remaking these because they never improve on the original and when they have tried to improve like in Beauty And Beast they just made it even worse and they really missed the issues which the fans were getting at in the 90's original. So I'm fully expecting Aladdin to be a scene for scene remake with nothing done to call Aladdin out on his constant lies or Jasmines whole issue of being an object/prize to be won and being forced in to marriage.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:41 am

I don’t know what I find more tiresome, these remakes or Disney’s marketing campaigns for movies like *Wrinkle* or the upcoming Nutcracker movie where they have the director or a star sit down and speak directly into the camera about how ~important~ the movie is and how much I’m going to like it and how magical it will make me feel. Fuck you, mouse, I don’t have to do what you tell me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:02 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don’t know what I find more tiresome, these remakes or Disney’s marketing campaigns for movies like *Wrinkle* or the upcoming Nutcracker movie where they have the director or a star sit down and speak directly into the camera about how ~important~ the movie is and how much I’m going to like it and how magical it will make me feel. Fuck you, mouse, I don’t have to do what you tell me.

Damn...just damn I had no idea they were doing that like your only meant to do that when your movie becomes a cult icon or goes down in cinema history as something special then you get to add that to the blue ray 4K and DVD additions, but to add it like that is so arrogant. Because the reality you make a movie but it's the fans and history who decide its worth.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Wrinkle In Time did it commercials but there was actually a short message from the director before the film itself, in the theater, where the director jerked of the movie for being so good and an achievement and shit, when it was actually boredering on what I call aggressively terrible. Insert obligatory jab at Unexoexted Journey here.

I saw a similar brief... trailer? For lack of a better word, for the Nutcracker movie, preceding First Man.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:44 pm

^ Well, if they're using the same marketing techniques as they did for Wrinkle in Time, then the Nutcracker is already doomed, especially with all the big name actors also appearing in the film like Wrinkle had.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 am

Makes me wonder if Disney's ever going to have a successful non-franchise live-action movie again.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:37 am

Looks at last weekends box office and sees great movies like First Man & Bad Times At The El Royale dramatically underperformed and will lose their respective studios money despite the good critical buzz while Sony’s Marvel adjacent brand name trash Venom took the top spot on it’s 2nd weekend despite everyone hating it and the film is already making Sony a profit....

Yeah, I don’t risk-averse Disney is planning to leave the non-original game any time soon. They know the general audiences tastes are boring and the best way to make money is through branding.

It’s why their 2019 theatrical release calendar is so.... riveting?

March 8 - CAPTAIN MARVEL (Marvel)
March 29 - DUMBO 2019 (Classic Animation Remake)
May 3 - AVENGERS 4 (Marvel)
May 24 - ALADDIN 2019 (Classic Animation Remake)
June 21 - TOY STORY 4 (Sequel)
July 19 - THE LION KING 2019 (Classic Animation Remake)
August 9 - ARTEMIS FOWL (Original... though I’m predicting this will become a Disney Streaming launch title)
November 27 - FROZEN 2 (Sequel)
December 20 - STAR WARS: EPSIODE 9 (Star Wars)

Please note that list likely includes 8 out of the Top 10 Biggest Money-making films at the global box office in 2019. Also note one of the last two spots on the list will likely be taken up by Spider-Man: Far From Home (Marvel) which Disney still gets a nice large chunk of despite it being distributed by Sony Pictures.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:53 am

The only people who hate Venom are idiots who think the doings of multibajillion dollar conglomerates are a team sport and people who hate fun.

Oh no the movie about a sarcastic alien slime isn’t serious enough, all is lost
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 am

First Man screwed itself from the outset. it should have been released next year to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing, maybe even on the same day Apollo 11 launched from Cape Canaveral. With the interest that would surround an anniversary like that, the movie would have faired better. Plus the movie sucks all the intrigue out of the moon landing and focuses far too much on his personal life, and is based on an unauthorized biography to boot.

And of course Disney I risk adverse, they don't want to lose all that money they're hoarding to make themselves the true monopoly studio in charge of all of Hollywood, which they would of course rule with a huge, unoriginal iron mouse fist.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:18 am

The dichotomy between Venom and First Man is an interesting one.

On the one hand, you have Venom, which is a great shitty movie.

On the other hand, you have First Man, which is a shitty great movie. It was beautiful and poignant and I never want to see it again.

I think the zeitgeist is agains a movie like that right now. No one wants to see a peek under the curtain that demythologizes a pivotal, epochal event in human history that is part of our collective consciousness. Such a movie can easily be beautiful and deeply artistic and profound and challenging, which it is, but more people go to Six Flags over Country Fried Steak than visit the Guggenheim.

Plus there's really nothing interesting in it from an acting perspective. Is it interesting, thematically, that everyone we spend any real time with in the space program was some flavor of douchebag and the two guys who actually landed on the moon were an asshole motormouth and a block of wood who'd killed all his emotions and was trying to commit honorable suicide by rocket?

Yes, it's interesting, but it's presented in the least engaging way in terms of storytelling. First Man doesn't quite get to where it needs to be to do something interesting with the notion of great achievements requiring a toxic or self-destructive personality framework.
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The dichotomy between Venom and First Man is an interesting one.

On the one hand, you have Venom, which is a great shitty movie.

On the other hand, you have First Man, which is a shitty great movie. It was beautiful and poignant and I never want to see it again.

I think First Manwas trying to be Apollo 13 with a great portrayal of a historic moment in human history, but they pulled back the curtain too far and showed too many of the imperfections Armstrong had, which, given Hollywood's propensity to overexaggerate things, made me not really go along with the story because it was very tiresome to watch, though the moon landing itself was very enjoyable, just for the visuals mind you, not the screenplay. And like you said, the acting wasn't very interesting, being an asshole doesn't require a whole lot of acting ability.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Speaking of which, when are the movie rights to Spider-Man going to revert back to Disney?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:48 pm

I think the rules of their contract is unless Sony sells the character to Disney (or Sony gets bought up by Disney which is always a possibility these days) as long as Sony makes a new Spider-Man film every five years or so the character is theirs. A big reason The Amazing Spider-Man reboot series launched back in 2012 was because if Sony waited any longer to make a new Spider-Man film the character would have been up for purchase by another studio. Sony’ll probably keep working with Marvel to keep Tom Holland’s Spider-Man in the MCU for a cut of the profits but they’ll be doing other Spider-Man stuff as well in perpetuity. The success of Venom (regardless of it’s quality) has only give them more incentive to keep up with their Spider-Man Cinematic Universe.... which is a thing.

Also, while I think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse looks REALLY GOOD I also see it as a testing ground to see if people would be up for multiple franchises about Spider-People. If the movie is a real hit - which it will be - I could see Sony concurrently running three or four Spider-Man series at a time (a Peter Parker series, Venom, a Gwen Stacy series, etc).

Basically, only way Marvel gets full ownership of Spider-Man is for another one of the major studios to be become a Disney property.
Which could happen.....

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:10 am

^ Given the amount of "fuck you" money they have, they could become a literal monopoly in the next five years with some careful dealings. Though they already kinda are a monopoly.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:29 am

A Spider-Gwen movie series could be pretty alright.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:15 am

Destroyer.
Nicole Kidman + True Detective + Triple 9 = Fuck & Yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHaLUoiWZU

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:03 am

^ Now that looks very intriguing. Looks like I know what I'm doing on Christmas Day.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A Spider-Gwen movie series could be pretty alright.

Well, maybe that'll be the next thing Sony does to keep their licencing of Spider-Man intact, or a black cat movie. Either or would be good.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:08 pm

I'd prefer a Gwenpool movie.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Escape Room with Deborah Ann Woll (daredevil) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dSKUoV0SNI

Looks like Cube with elements of Cabin in the woods?

Return to “Film and Video”