Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:24 am

Possible. Advances in technology surely have made the stop-motion animation process move at a much faster rate which would involve paying animators for fewer days. I imagine 3D printing also would help keep down costs since they could replicate things they needed for the film instead of making each by hand.

But can't say for sure. Budgets in the professional film world are always a strongly held onto secret. More often than not the "official" announced budget of a movie is dramatically low-balled (that's production only, studios never include the marketing cost in their official budgets and those are almost always equal to or larger than the official production budget) so the profit margin - if there is one - seems larger than it is and everyone involved gets bragging rights.

Basically, $25 million sounds about right. No way to confirm. But it sounds practical.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:32 am

I watched Appleseed last thursday for the first time in almost ten years, and damn that movie looks good for being almost one and a half decade old. Also, the first Avengers movie straightup stole a scene from it, lol.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:50 am

I watched a pair of films in the last few days, and I want to get back into writing for a couple of things I'd like to work on, so I'm gonna use this post to try and get back into the writing groove. Here goes...

The Birds (1963), dir. Alfred Hitchcock

Despite having heard of Hitchcock and seen references to it throughout my life, and my growing interest in film over the last three or so years, I've only watched two of his films - Vertigo, and Juno and the Paycock - and both of them were for classes. I don't know what it is; maybe it's the expectation of seeing a film made by someone often proclaimed to be one of, if not THE, greatest in all of film-making; but I found myself pretty bored by those two films. And as much as it annoys me to say it, The Birds has pretty much the same effect on me.

It's not that it's a bad movie. It's not: it's a film that clearly knows what it's doing, by the way everything is paced and put together. I imagine it makes a damn good thriller, but I think my problem with the film is that it was trying to appeal to a fear or emotion that I don't have (not yet, at least). I'm not scared of birds, nor have I ever been put in a situation where I would end up being harmed by them. To be fair, this isn't really a flaw with the film itself, but more just my lack of ability to truly engage with it on its own terms - if nothing else, compare it to how people who have never had emotional issues find the cast of Evangelion to be needlessly whiny, because they have no cause or reason to get what those characters are going through.

As a contrast, I'm utterly terrified of the dogs that chase you in the game Inside, and a big cause for that is that I have a fear of being relentless chased with no way of defending myself - and a fear I had of the dogs from Chicken Run and those old Tomb Raider Lucozade ads when I was a kid. Those chase sequences in Inside struck a feeling that I hadn't felt in a long time, and resulted in some of the tensest experiences I've ever had playing a game. I can only assume that The Birds was meant to resonate in a similar manner, but it just didn't happen for me.

I do have a personal theory as to why, but it's just a theory. See, The Birds was based on a short story by Daphne du Maurier, who also wrote Don't Look Now - another short story that was adapted into a very good 1973 film by Nicolas Roeg. Don't Look Now concerns the plight of a couple trying to move on from the death of their daughter, and one of the film's major themes is about trying to deal with the loss of a close one. Every character in that film with a speaking role brings up the fact that they've lost somebody, and it plays a part in the melancholy felt throughout the film. However, I can only process that idea on an intellectual level, since I've been lucky enough to have not lost someone close.

So I can't help but wonder if my issue with The Birds has its roots in the source material; that du Maurier has a knack for writing stories that appeal to very particular emotions that can otherwise be alienating to people who haven't experienced those emotions. (Though that does become a bit of an issue when I can still appreciate Don't Look Now as a film despite parts of it not resonating with me - I guess I just prefer how that film was constructed in terms of film-making to Hitchcock's film.)

Maybe. Or not. But The Birds just didn't engage me, and that sucks.

---

Pitch Black (2000), dir. David Twohy

Despite knowing a decent bit about the Chronicles of Riddick series (mainly that Peter Chung directed an animated film, and that Vin Diesel loves playing the character so much that he often finances the films himself IIRC), I've never sat down and watched any of them. But my brother was visiting yesterday, and suggested we watch it on Netflix, and so we did. I don't have as much to say about Pitch Black other than that it's a pretty good thriller with some playfulness, solid if minimalist characterization, and an overall good handle of tension.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018)

Loved it! Dracula and Ericka's romance was the most adorable development in the film and if I had to make just the teeniest tiniest nitpick is that Johnny who was a well developed character in the first two films seems to have been downgraded to an exposition magnet only there to say important stuff when the moment requires it.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:19 pm

I rewatched Pacific Rim the other day, and am very pleased to see that
a) the film is still great the second time and
b) the German dub is almost as good as the original English one (apart from a couple of lines that simply don't have the same impact)
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:21 am

Mission: Impossible - Fallout!

Best movie of the summer & best action film since FURY ROAD. Stop seeing dumb comic book movies and see what real movie magic is when you let a team of filmmakers really go all out creatively!

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 am

I rewatched SW: TLJ.

People should reeeeaaalllly stop hating it on it already...sheesh...I mean, the very vocal group who calls Rey a "Mary Sue" don't seem to have a general grasp of literary tropes except for this that keep parroting over and over again..It's getting exhausting.

But, let's play Devil's Advocate and say "Rey is too perfect." Okay, well it is a kid's movie and it is owned by Disney. But's let's make a comparative analysis:

The Original Trilogy gave us:

Obi Wan - is an old many with seemingly random powers and never does wrong - even sacrificing himself to solidify his saintly status...Seems very Gary Stu-like

Luke - A simple farm boy with no training - A happy go lucky character without an ounce of the kind of depth that comes along with a moral conflict or struggle of some kind - Also seems very Gary Stu-Like.

Leia - A "powerful/willful" female character - Except that she's little more than a plot device that gets Luke's blood flowing and excited for an adventure. She gets captured and sparks the others to come rescue her. She never lives up to how "bad ass" she's supposed to be and doesn't very much sans deliveirng the DS plans.

Han - He's actually the only character who does undergo character development- going from apathetic gunslinger to someone who cares about a cause and he even saves the day at the end.

-------------- POINT BEING---------------

If these vocal personalities were around in 1977, I suspect they'd rip apart these moves based on the same merits that they do in the present.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:34 am

Having read the novel twice but never having seen the film I finally sat down to view Rosemary's Baby. One of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen, it was like watching what I had seen in my head upon reading the book.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:22 pm

slow west

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:21 am

^That all you got, Cowboy?

The Shape of Water. Well executed silliness. Best picture for 2017? Not sure about that.
There were 3 moments that made me wince, all involving the Strickland character: The pus-y finger, the fish hook, and the conclusion to Samson and Delilah. I wasn’t disgusted by the thought of a woman boning an amphibian man however. For a moment I thought there might be something profound to that… but then I remembered body horror is just gross.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 am

Marvel Infinity wars

This really surprised me like in a huge way as I thought going in this was going to be a long painful affair like Age Of Ultron, but its brilliant and a great watch and I really enjoyed it. I also love what it did with Thanos here as he is genuinely interesting villain with different motives and an interesting personality and view point that set him apart from a cookie cutter villain, the films also got really good pacing and treats all its characters really well again it throws away the Whedon problematic trappings which really hurt Ultron and has some really good actions scenes with real tension and consequences.

SPOILER: Show
Thor is amazing in this movie he is the true star of this film along with Rocket as both realize what's at stake and are willing to do what ever it takes to stop Thanos and Captain America and Black Widow shine through as does Scarlet Witch and though she has a romance with Vision here it doesn't feel crow barred in or forced in, it feels more natural and they feel much more equal as a couple than most marvel couples in other films.

Its also interesting that when Black Widow and meets Bruce again there's no crying running scene to him she has clearly moved on and though its slightly awkward the film doesn't go out of its way to rekindle old sparks which in my view was the right move as I felt Widow/Bruce was a huge mistake in how Whedon ran with it in Ultron. Doctor strange and Spider man are also at there best in this film there loveable and likeable and really give it there all as does Black Panther who also gets the stakes and is willing to put every man and woman in to battle to see them win even if it means destroying his own city.

The only nit picks I have is that Tony Stark and Starlord both really pissed me off in this movie as you see the worst of there ego's they make it about themselves when the reality this is much bigger than them and they both fail to get it as there wrapped up in there own self worth on different levels but I get why the film does this its trying to show that ego leads to utter ruin.

Now I get that a lot of people complained regarding Gamora's death as it plays to the trope woman gets captured and killed to motivated a male character but look at this much harder you see it does a huge subvert of the trope because Starlord is not worshipped or applauded by the other characters for his actions.

In fact he's shown totality and utterly fucking it up for everyone else because he acts irrationally and stupid in the one moment when they needed a solid team and blows the one plan that could have saved everyone and this trope normally plays to the idea that male hero will conqueror all and win and it doesn't happen here Starlord's actions back fire on him he ruins it all and dies for it

It also punishes Stark as he gets to watch as the people he has not treated well die around him and he is left stranded miles from earth not knowing if Pepper is dead with Nebula a person he barley knows had this been a Whedon film he'd have been worshipped for his actions and gotten what he wanted but the director and writers have no shits to give and makes it clear they won't condone badly behaved characters and will punish them and show the viewer consequences big time
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: the thatgif.gif romance:

I thought it was clear that one/both may still have been interested in each other and the rest of Steve's group were aware of it, but the film handled it perfectly: They're both too busy to even think of it right now. Hopefully the clear the board completely and just let it drop. I'd rather see the Hulk join Ant Man in his next movie and go to the subatomic universe. It feels like a natural place to send him next, with the acceptance theme that they're running through the Hulk b plot with his guest appearances in other movies. Since movies aren't bound by the inevitable tedium of returning to the status quo and maintaining very long term continuity, hopefully they'll end up resolving the Banner/Hulk tension and merge them into one character. It's been done in the comics and, I think, for the movie version, it makes sense if they, say, reveal that Bruce Banner is a gamma-powered shape shifter and it's a mental block that keeps him from increasing/decreasing his mass/strength at will. The Hulk's personality and motivation in IW and Ragnarok definitely mirror Banner's own feelings to a degree. The Hulk-as-id thing is more interesting than "Oh I'm cursed with turning into a green rage monster".

Re: Stark

The film is more laudatory of Stark than it appears to be. I would say that, as far as the "hero" side goes, the Stark/Spidey/Strange GoTG segments of the film are low-key told from his point of view. It's (intentionally) funny when he blanks out on Star Lord's dumbass bullshit, but on a re-watch it his hard when you think about what he's actually feeling: He doesn't look like that to amuse the audience, he looks like that because his worst nightmare is coming true and he's saddled with these morons.

Yes, he gets taken down a peg more than once (Strange is just :fire: as Master of the Sassy Arts) but again, the film is on his side without giving him an easy time.

Note that the score when he's talking to Pepper on the spaceship uses a leitmotif from the First Avenger score, specifically when Steve was on the bomber about to crash it into the ocean.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:10 am

Tale of the Mummy (1998)
- Opening with Christopher Lee is both comfy & suspenseful.
- Idea of the wrappings being the physical threat is unique and very cool visually at points, sadly the very primitive CGI fails it most of the time. When the wrappings form into a more traditional looking non CGI Mummy, It looks great.
- Sean Pertwee gives a intense desperate proformance.
- Jason Scott Lee is a cool fairly charismatic lead, sadly isn't given much depth.
- Attack in the gay bar bathroom is pretty brutal & effective... until the victim is preposterously sucked down the god damn toilet.
- The Shining's Shelly Duvall has a decent role here.
- The final showdown isn't quite incoherent as I had read before watching but throws you for a few loops & doesn't spoon feed you at all.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:22 am

Upgrade- probably my favorite film of 2018 so far. In the near future, a man named Grey (played by Tom-Hardy-doppleganger Logan Marshall Green) loses his wife and the ability to control any part of his body below the neck in what appears to be a robbery. He is offered the chance to have the most sophisticated microchip known to man implanted in his spinal cortex to allow him to function normally again. Of course it turns out the microcomputer is sentient and can even turn Grey's body into a lethal weapon. Of course you can see where this is going. Revenge, mayhem and dark humor ensue. I'd recommend this one for the fans of oldschool practical effects-laden R-rated scifi films like The Terminator and RoboCop.
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:36 pm

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015)
- Heard that it was a let down compared to Ghost Protocol (+ Paula Patton not returning was a disappointment) so I put off watching it for too long. Thankfully it's very much on par with GP & close to surpassing it.

Mission Impossible - Fallout (2018)

- Not quite "god level stuff" or "most capable action film of the century" as a critics are quoted as saying but it's just as good as GP & RN which is plenty good enough.
- Did not approve of
Alec Baldwin's death

- Possibly the best score of the series.
- Vanessa Kirby is quite lovely here.

- Rebecca Ferguson is great in both films.

I'd rank the franchise...

> Ghost Protocol = Rogue Nation = Fallout > 3 >> 1 >> 2...

Only reason I might consider putting GP under the newest 2 films is it having the weakest villain of the series.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:33 pm

The House by the Cemetery (1981)
- Cool killer, outfit & gate reminds me of Christopher Lee's Hammer Frankenstein.
- Score is good.
- Gore & kills are all brutal & well done.
- Really damn slow.
- Dub is decent.
- The main thrust of the story is semi coherent but there is WAY too many threads & plot points that are left unaswered.
--- Why did Ann mop up the massive blood trail? Zero evidence she is working with the killer besides that moment.
--- Why did Norman not remember having been to the town & house before or his own implied daughter? (Despite having a photo of the house in his own home states away)
--- Why did Norman destroy the recording?
--- How did Norman deduce the killers identity & methods just from the recording & his fruitless trip to the public cemetery?
--- How did Peterson escape the basement after finding the bodies.

- Film ends pretty bleaky & almost mean spiritedly, so if that isn't your thing give it a pass.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Even though I had it on BluRay, I never took the time to watch it through there and last night it was showing on HBO so I watched for the first time Alien: Covenant.

First off, I have to say that Danny McBride making the transition from funny man to convincing serious material co-lead is such a wonderful experience to witness. Second, that David and Walter kiss kind of reminds me now of the moments in Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps where Buddy Love and Sherman Klump's grandma interact only not with that obvious gross out humor that the latter was going for. I really liked the score that was present during the Karine and Faris scene where the Xenomorph is born and tries of course to kill it's prey, kind of like a rhythmic heartbeat combined with ambient tones of suspense. Not counting spoiler reads in the past, I could smell that twist ending coming a mile away especially given the way the David vs. Walter fight sort of settled offscreen. IDK if there will be future prequels and given how they're saying there will be less focus on the Xenomorphs and more on David which doesn't sound good IMO, I go into the future with a 50-50 chance liking it or not.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:46 pm

McBride is the only good part of that movie.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:46 pm

Mandy-10/10
What a trip! Nic Cage is allowed to go full Rage Cage on a group of hippie cultists and a satanic biker gang hooked on LSD and human blood after his wife is sacrificed in a ritual! Second film from Panos Cosmatos who also directed and wrote the visual feast that is Beyond the Black Rainbow. With how much more gonzo he went with Mandy I can't wait to see what he does next.
You exude the cosmic darkness  SPOILER: Show

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:55 am

That gif convinced me to see it.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”