Should we start a Commentary for Episode 08?

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Should we start a Commentary for Episode 08?

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:59 am

Hey, I was browsing through the EvaGeeks FGC, reading through a couple of the commentaries for old time's sake, and I found that Episode 08 has more or less been completed. As far as I can see, the script has been translated, and there's accompanying images for every cut. It's been nearly a year since the Commentary for Episode 07, and I would like to take part in another commentary. (Hell, there are even a couple of comments already there, by UrsusArctos)

To be fair, maybe there is a very good reason not to do a commentary on Episode 08 right now; maybe the script details for the missing cuts needs to be found, or there could be some other issue with it. If so, that's fair enough, but I figured I should ask.

Also, I'll put links to Episode 08 in the spoiler, for anyone who's curious. (And with separate scenes, in case it goes a bit wonky for whatever reason)

Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Jibe
Embryo

Re: Should we start a Commentary for Episode 08?

•      
  •      

Postby Jibe » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 am

I've just remarked one thing in the description column: CUT 036, camera's glass is broken.

The Flying Fortress
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The Flying Fortress » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:49 pm

This is the main reason why I am here, this project is so interesting and fun for me, for over 1 year I hope they have gotten the EP8 comments, there are several pre-conceived episodes beyond this, but they have not been finalized, but because of the personal responsibilities of the administrators who are preventing the project from being completed, at least I have already been able to comment on some episodes.

I saw the comments of Ursus Arctos, he is cheating :)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm not sure if thewayneiac and company have everything squared away that's needed to start the Episode 08 commentary, but it's certainly worth a discussion! There was an (older, via 2016) discussion in this subforum pointing out how the commentary project's overall been at a crawl :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm

View Original PostFrDougal9000 wrote:Should we start a Commentary for Episode 08?

Screw that, let's jump to Evangelion 3.0.

I've got opinions.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:44 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Screw that, let's jump to Evangelion 3.0.

I've got opinions.

A commentary on the movies will go much further much faster to be fair.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:A commentary on the movies will go much further much faster to be fair.

Making a fan commentary (in the style under discussion, not the "drone into a microphone" variation) for the movies in their current unfinished state would be an incredible waste of time. There wouldn't be any point in even starting until sometime after everyone has been able to process the tetralogy as a whole. All opinions prior to that? Historical curiosities and nothing more, in the end.

There's also the fact that putting together the commentaries themselves seems to invariably break anyone who dares to get involved... If 20-minute episodes are this difficult, can you even imagine what a theatrical film would do to someone?

Maybe we'll see volunteers once 3+1 is out, though I have the strangest feeling that the format I originated is pretty much dead in the water, bloated with gas, and full of gluttonous invertebrates.

The fate of the project is regretful. It was too much for me to handle so many years ago I left it open for others to pick up. Far as I can tell, though, thewayneiac has mostly taken on my prior position of "project spearhead turned principal impediment". I guess it's unrealistic to think anyone could have reprised the original breakneck pace that I brought out the first four episodes, but, still, can't help but think what might have been, if more motivated people had been put at the head of operations back when it would have made a difference.

Anyway, to the topic title: yes, "we" should. But who is "we", really? I say, if people want it to happen, they need to make it happen. Now, obviously you can't make the Wiki permissions appear out of nowhere, but if you're really dedicated to the idea of pushing the project forward, then communicate this to us in private or something. Tell us about your skills. Show us lofty projects you've pulled through with. Sell yourself. This thing doesn't have to stay dead. The reins can be given to a new driver.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Somehow I completely forgot 3.0+1.0 was still missing. :uhh:

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”