Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

All Studio Trigger stuff goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Darling in the Franxx (Studio Trigger)

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 am

Finally...

>Zero Two: "A distant sky, overcoming time and space"
>Hiro: "Such a long journey by ourselves, it almost boggles the mind (?)"
>Zero Two: "You are inside of me"
>Hiro: "I am inside of you"
>Zero Two: "I will treasure that warmth along with our memories"
>Zero Two & Hiro: "I'll never let go of your hand again"

>EPISODE 24: DON'T LET GO OF ME

Compare with yesterday's leak  SPOILER: Show
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:41 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Finally...

>Zero Two: "A distant sky, overcoming time and space"
>Hiro: "Such a long journey by ourselves, it almost boggles the mind (?)"
>Zero Two: "You are inside of me"
>Hiro: "I am inside of you"
>Zero Two: "I will treasure that warmth along with our memories"
>Zero Two & Hiro: "I'll never let go of your hand again"

>EPISODE 24: DON'T LET GO OF ME

I know this may sound nuts but I have this idea that Zero Two and Hero after this are going start off another new race of klaxosaurs human highbreds because the foma klaxosaurs queen said they lost there ability to breed...like did she in reality mean she lost her male partner and that there race are like a bee hive like the queen can spawn of thousands of offspring?

Because looking at Zero Two now that's the vibe I get like the aggressive queen Bee who protects the smaller male Bee. What if when Zero said I can't have children the reality is she can't have them the human way what if she needs to grow those tentacles to do so and now that Hero is becoming one himself he can breed with her since there aliens and there breeding could be so different to humans.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Hiro's rocking them horns!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Meanwhile, unless we get a Gundam-style UNDERSTANDING event out of the blue, Hiro is going to end up terminating many trillions (maybe more) of innocent beings, several billion of which will have been human, as a side-effect of destroying VIRM. It's likely to make Shinji's genocidal efforts as Impact Boy look quite amateurish.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:52 pm

For the past few days, I've been thinking about this show and all the controversy regarding the various plot points, and it's making me wonder how much of it was the creative team's fault. As we know, animation requires skills from a multitude of people: writers, animators, sound effects, etc... I'm wondering if the various story points are the result of factors outside of their control, one example being the situation surrounding Goro's original VA. I apologize in advance if this seems muddled to all of you. I don't write off the cuff like this too often.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:16 am

It feels like the missing part of the creative team was the editor. There were too many ideas getting jammed into the space available, leaving it feeling like it was the result of three or four different series being smashed together. OTOH, if it weren't such a multi-way pile-up, what would have emerged probably would have ended up just being blandly mediocre, and far less entertaining.

And I'll just leave this example of early optimism here

View Original Postran1 wrote:Darling in the Franxx is Evangelion for Gen Z. I'm cashing in all my chips in regard to Atsushi Nishigori becoming the next -- and ultimately more prestigious -- Hideaki Anno.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:26 am

I was thinking of maybe using another person's free Crunchyroll trial to watch Franxx to the end today, but I'd rather use that for future Trigger shows, like maybe Gridman (if that comes to Crunchyroll).
So I'll stay away for now.
I wonder if I'll have somebody to talk to about Franxx this time next week? lol
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Oh well saw it...

SPOILER: Show
Two words...kids, kids and more kids I won't say it isn't sad or bitter sweet it is but its also so cliche. Like I've never seen a series ram home you need kids like this one to the point that it leaves such a bad taste in the mouth...although I gets its a new world it just feels like to much to soon films like Wall E were smart about this in that they showed it as being very slow like it was many years or more before people started having children again.

Oh yeah and this series just loves shafting Ikuno oh look we are giving you a possible girlfriend oh sorry our mistake your getting sick and dying nothing like ramming home the bury your gays trope...yeah you don't see her die but its implied she proberbly will given time because gay people never get happy endings :irked:

Hiro and Zero Two ending is bitter and sweet and I still don't know how to feel about it...maybe I'll re-watch in six months time and finally know how I feel.

The reality is I can't figure out if this series is bad or good I just feel so in the middle about it because I loved its ideas and early world building and I did find the Papa twist interesting as it was different but some of the tropes in this feel so painfully outdated and bad that they pull this series down like an anchor that just to big for its own ship and starts to sink it.

Also because theses issues are never truly resolved or subverted and as some users have mentioned in other posts are very dangerous ideals which hurt the show and show how differently Western media feels on certain topics compared to Eastern media. I feel had they just not gone with these hurtful ideals this could have been a history changer in anime but now I feel it will just got lost and forgotten with in ten years.

Though I doubt Zero two will stop selling mechanise as she will proberbly be the only thing people will remember about the show since she was the second generation Asuka who fell short because the writers just got lazy in the end.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:37 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Oh well saw it...

Two words...kids, kids and more kids I won't say it isn't sad or bitter suite it is but its also so cliche. Like I've never seen a series ram home you need kids like this one to the point that it leaves such a bad taste in the mouth...although I gets its a new world it just feels like to much to soon films like Wall E were smart about this in that they showed it as being very slow like it was many years or more before people started having children again.

Oh yeah and this series just loves shafting Ikuno oh look we are giving you a possible girlfriend oh sorry our mistake your getting sick and dying nothing like ramming home the bury your gays trope...yeah you don't see her die but its implied she proberbly will given time because gay people never get happy endings :irked:

Hiro and Zero Two ending is bitter and suite and I still don't know how to feel about it...maybe I'll re-watch in six months time and finally know how I feel.

The reality is I can't figure out if this series is bad or good I just feel so in the middle about it because I loved its ideas and early world building and I did find the Papa twist interesting as it was different but some of the tropes in this feel so painfully outdated and bad that they pull this series down like an anchor that just to big for its own ship and this start sinking it.

Also because theses issues are never truly resolved or subverted and some are as some users have mentioned in other posts are very dangerous ideals which hurt the show and show how differently Western media feels on certain topics compared to Eastern media. I feel had they just not gone with these hurtful ideals this could have been a history changer in anime but now I feel it will just got lost and forgotten with in ten years.

Though I doubt Zero two will stop selling mechanise as she will proberbly be the only thing people remember about the show since she was the second generation Asuka who fell short because the writers just got lazy in the end.

I read up on it. Sounds like a bunch of trite bullshit. A reincarnation ending is an esoteric happy ending at best because the characters have none of the memories or shared experiences of people they resemble. But hey they look alike so everything's good, right? :rolleyes: :yuck:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:
I read up on it. Sounds like a bunch of trite bullshit. A reincarnation ending is an esoteric happy ending at best because the characters have none of the memories or shared experiences of people they resemble. But hey they look alike so everything's good, right? :rolleyes: :yuck:

Oh yeah that....

I got what they were trying to do with the reborn thing its the idea of soul mates but they forgot that this mythology comes with a nasty sting in the tail as in its origins Zeus was mean and cruel and cut human beings in two because he feared there power and the point of it is you could spend your whole life searching for that other half of yourself and you my never find them or spend many life times trying to find them but the show has no understanding of this so it just goes for it being really easy hence undermining the mythology.

The only good thing with Darling is the Franxxs is the fanfiction writers out there will proberbly spend the next fire years fixing its flaws and you will be able to read a retelling that's better some day

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm

I was busy this afternoon, hence no livewatch. Going back to read the /a/ thread after watching the episode was a hoot.

Man, I didn't think they'd have the balls to avoid problematic issues like [hide]100 dinobabies, maybe more[/hide]. Truly this was "The 14 words (nihonjin edition) -- the anime".

other reactions  SPOILER: Show
Action scenes were crap as usual, even with the gratuitous final form Gunbuster pose. I guess drip-feeding the space scenes was forced, so as to delay revealing the "dino-mutts must die!" result, but generally got in the way of the real story.

I don't even recall wild speculations having an IkuNao ending, though (the matter of her horns aside) the actual ending we did get had been floated often enough.

All in all, fun, at the end, after having skipped the bulk of Nisihigori's little fap-fantasy elements -- but there was way too much of those to say I'd want to rewatch.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Welp, they have actually done it and went full EoE. The souls are free, the world starts anew, and the protagonists are floating off into space.

In all honesty, I enjoyed the episode overall, but I also feel like they could have made a lot more out of it. It was really nice to see the Squad grow up (although the whole Ikuno thing felt super forced and was a bit of a kick to the balls), and you have to give them props for the hairstyle of death troll they put in, but other than that, everything just felt a bit lackluster.
Quite FranXXly (sorry I had to), I feel like a happy Reunion of the Squad at some plot-relevant point like Kokoro giving birth would have been the "best" ending, as it's so cliche it's riginal again at this point... like just about anything in the show.

I think I'll write down my personal highs and lows eventually, but right now I'm more than happy if this right here passes as comprehensible

EDIT: Also, post #420. Blaze it, I guess.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:(3) Hiro releases her and also himself; their naked disembodied spirits float off into the void hand in hand to start a new world (Ideon ending).

Check. Though after floating around for a bit they actually return to the old world, as in:

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Hiro and Zerotsū's spirits, their bodies having been destroyed or combined into whatever Strelizia is called next week, return and inhabit the baby, giving it a serious case of split personality

Check. Well, no split personality, as they inhabit two babies, as it happens (I'm also looking at you, Mawaru Penguindrum).

Well, there was an ending; there were yet more references to other shows; the Virm survive, and if I read it right, the souls that they had previously "liberated" were freed to return to bodily existence somehow. The children are learning subsistence living, while simultaneously having much of the trappings of advanced civilisation readily to hand. No good reasons were demonstrated for any of this to happen (or previous things to have happened), and the show as a whole is confirmed to be a meaningless mess.

What's up next?....
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:a meaningless mess.

This pretty much sums up the show after Ep 18, yeah. They should probably have just sticked with not explaining origins instead of creating this clusterfuck
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 pm

I think here is a pretty good place to drop that Trigger has a Patreon now:
https://www.patreon.com/studioTRIGGER/overview
You can support them with as low as 1$ a month and get access to illustrations they'll be posting, and you help a very good animation studio out.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:58 am

After a bit of thinking, it came to my mind that the overall show would be a lot better if you don't watch Ep 18 (or whatever number the Dr. Frank flashback was) and Ep 24. Has anyone actually tried that?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:25 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:After a bit of thinking, it came to my mind that the overall show would be a lot better if you don't watch Ep 18 (or whatever number the Dr. Frank flashback was) and Ep 24. Has anyone actually tried that?

Ep 24 should have been a movie, it feels so rushed and thrown together last minute or they should have ended the season on Zero Two doing her Asuka comma then used the second season to fix there glaring issues hurtful issues and tropes as well as use that season to show Hero's and Zero Two's trip across the universe and used it to help the fix the relationship issues fully while showing the changing world and people growing up.

They should have let Ikuno have her girlfriend and happiness period and cured her ageing issue because its a sci fi world advanced tech and all that but also at the end they should have showed Ichigo seeing the two reincarnations and and smiling. Because I realize now why I felt so off about Hero and Zero Two's end its because we have no idea how much time has passed in that scene.

Like it could be a hundred years or more since trees can be ancient but Ichigo not seeing them makes the ending tragic and sad because all the main cast who piloted are proberbly dead at this point and it made me feel depressed as the ending just feels really hollow. There is also second issue which in that sci fi city I would have expected to see Hero and Zero Two as statues as they might be viewed as gods or founders who saved the world and they could had this scene with the kids looking at them and kid Hero going to Kid Zero Two you know you kind of look like her implying that somewhere deep down there memories are not fully lost.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:28 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:it could be a hundred years or more since trees can be ancient

Someone looked into it and sakura trees can apparently live for 2000+ years.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:36 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:Someone looked into it and sakura trees can apparently live for 2000+ years.

Thanks for that I was wondering how old that tree could be which sadly means a huge amount of time has passed as I first thought. I recall they did something similar to this with Babylon 5 in the final series and though its not the final episode it really leaves an really awful taste in the mouth and the audience really hated it because they knew all the cast were dead and thousands of years had passed by and it made them feel emotionally numb and unhappy.

Ironically Mass Effect 3 also copied this type of ending and got a huge amount of back lash for doing so because no one wants to know that all the cast are dead in this manner and that the world there looking at is one they can't relate to on any level as its deeply depressing and having reincarnated characters who can't even remember who they used to be does not fix it ether in fact it just makes it worse.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:07 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Darling in the Franxx is Evangelion for Gen Z.

View Original PostTsurumaki on symbolism in NGE wrote:We just thought it looked cool.

If DarliFra is the new NGE it's in the way that it handles the symbolism it uses.

Even allowing for what I've seen termed "the Rodriguez Effect" -- the tendency to think that just because something is in a foreign language that it must be deeper and more meaningful than what it really is (e.g. as observed by Robert Rodriguez when people were reading in a lot of extra meaning that he never intended into his low-budget Mexican Spaghetti Western El Mariachi) -- there was enough meticulous detail in most minor furnishings, like the banners for the plantations, that you would expect some of the trails laid to have borne fruit.

Sure, minor Easter-eggs like VIRM+APE = Vampire or Kokoro + Mitsuru = "becoming a mother", or looking for matrioska robots because of the pistil-style control paddles on the Nines' Franxx may well have been Rodriguez Effect, but when you get Mistleteinn and Hringhorni name-dropped with no good a propos, you might expect some connection, especially as towards the end, the scene seems set for a Ragnarok event where one of the couples would end up being Lif and Lifthrasir -- even if it's hard to weave that in with the clear Red Oni/Blue Oni motifs also being laid out for the mains (which didn't actually follow through its story either).

silvermoonlight wrote:They should have let Ikuno have her girlfriend and happiness period and cured her ageing issue because its a sci fi world advanced tech and all that
Naomi didn't even have a prosthesis for her missing right arm in the last, hand-holding, scene with Ikuno.

Return to “Studio Trigger”