What are the "Adams"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
anonymaus
Lilith

Re: First official image of "New Unit 2"

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Don't think that chalk outline has anything to do with adams, it's still around after 01 is completed? Eva assembly is a years long process. Doesn't make sense.
Lilith is still missing her legs so something big was budded off from her, don't know what it can be besides 01.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:18 pm

We know the Adam on the moon was shot up there from 2I's epicenter in a geyser of blood. They were scattered all over and landed in random places. There is no better explanation for the chalk outline currently. Whether or not the outline is related to Unit 01 is another matter, but what else would it be? Unit 00?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:58 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:We know the Adam on the moon was shot up there from 2I's epicenter in a geysor of blood. They were scattered all over and landed in random places. There is no better explanation for the chalk outline currently. Whether or not the outline is related to Unit 01 is another matter, but what else would it be? Unit 00?

The outline doesn't even really resemble the adams, I would buy the MP eva theory before the adam theory based on shape.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:13 pm

This looks just like this. The blood stain from the geyser is even there in that first image.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:10 am

That’s the thing about the Adams; they have no unique shape to them. Eva 01 or 00 can (and in the case of 01, has) left a unique imprint on the Earth’s surface when flattened against it. Adams are just giant, generic, humanoid-ish shaped creatures. There’s nothing unique about them without armor of some kind.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:10 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That’s the thing about the Adams; they have no unique shape to them. Eva 01 or 00 can (and in the case of 01, has) left a unique imprint on the Earth’s surface when flattened against it. Adams are just giant, generic, humanoid-ish shaped creatures. There’s nothing unique about them without armor of some kind.

That's why I think its all about the piolt hence any one piolt could cause an impact event though I get that unit 01 is unique in the series and possibly rebuild, it doesn't mean its the only walking god in armour with the potential to destroy.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:27 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:This looks just like this. The blood stain from the geyser is even there in that first image.

Doesn't look remotely the same besides being humanoid, the head/neck is way too long. MP evas have the correct neck/head length.

More importantly: the adam on the moon (if it is an adam, anyway) has its arms down to its sides. They weren't re-arranged that way, the ground to its sides isn't excavated in such a way that the arms could have been extended originally.
Conversely the chalk figure's arms are outstretched as if crucified, just like the MP evas at the finale of EoE. Why would one adam land in perfect crucified pose, and the other would land with its arms at its sides?
It's almost certainly not the same kind of thing as what's found on the moon.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: What are the "Adams"?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:59 pm

Even though an MP Eva would make even less sense. If 3I from EoE and 2I are supposed to be one in the same, why is it one had a beginning, middle, and end over Hakone, while the other appears to still be going, if only paused, with a giant rainbow portal over Antarctica. There's also Misato, since we see die her at Nerv as an adult for EoE's 3I while we see a flashback to Ha's 2I were she's a child in Antarctica witnessing four giants of light with Ultraman symbols for cores and fountain-like wings
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

anonymaus
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby anonymaus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:37 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Even though an MP Eva would make even less sense. If 3I from EoE and 2I are supposed to be one in the same, why is it one had a beginning, middle, and end over Hakone, while the other appears to still be going, if only paused, with a giant rainbow portal over Antarctica. There's also Misato, since we see die her at Nerv as an adult for EoE's 3I while we see a flashback to Ha's 2I were she's a child in Antarctica witnessing four giants of light with Ultraman symbols for cores and fountain-like wings

I don't ever remember writing anything about third impact or any impact at all.
I just wrote that the chalk outline is clearly not an adam, and more possibly an MP eva.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:39 pm

But MP Evas don't exist in Rebuild, at least not the same ones from EoE. We got a teaser for a very different type of MP Eva in the teaser for 3.0+1.0. Why would an MP Eva be there at the beginning of 1.0?

EDIT: sequel theory tangent continues here: post/867572/Sequel-theory-once-again/#867572
- Sachi

Archangel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archangel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:36 am

I thought "the Adam on the moon" was Eva Mk06; which then turned out to be the 12th Angel in 3.0.

Both the "Mk Evas" appear to be other entities repurposed into Evas; Mk06 was made from the 12th angel and Mk09 was made from the Wunder's core... and is also an Adams Vessel. What ever that is.

Wunder looks like it's built from an Angel too (the Rebuild equivelent of Gaghiel perhaps?).

Aren't the Adams seperate eneties to the Angels? Since Unit 13 is something called a "Stragler Adam" and has no AT field. Now, is it the 5th Adam that wasn't there during Second Impact or is it a "stragler" because it hasn't gone to where-ever the other 3 Adams went after Second Impact?

I dunno...

I haven't the faintest clue what the Adams are, but I'm hopeful for some form if explaination in 3.0+1.0.

As for the "chalk" outline, might that be were Lilith was originally found?

When compared to the sky-scrapers right next to it, It looks too big to be a massed produced Eva from EoE; plus didn't they all turn to stone? Who chipped away at the MP Eva statue to get rid of it but left it's outline? Why'd they bother doing that but left the rest of the city in ruins? And why is it laying on a patch of ground that has turned into core material. Why didn't we see any of the ground around Tokyo3 turn into core material in EoE?

For all it's similarities there are many more abnormalities.
In a world of order, chaos rules.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:09 am

View Original PostArchangel wrote:I thought "the Adam on the moon" was Eva Mk06; which then turned out to be the 12th Angel in 3.0.

Both the "Mk Evas" appear to be other entities repurposed into Evas

Exactly. The Adams are what were repurposed into Evas. Unit 13 is explicitly stated as such. The Mark 06 is heavily implied to be one in the films (different construction method, referred to as the "true" eva), and all but confirmed by the storyboards showing the blood geyser shooting to the moon from Antarctica. The chalk outline fits the profile of an Adam shot from a blood geyser (blood stained soil surrounding the crator). Mark 09 is referred to as a vessel of Adam (whatever that means).

This hasn't been mentioned recently in this thread, but another bit of support for Unit 01 being an Adam are the wings it displays during 2.0. Misato draws a direct correlation to the wings of the Adams during Second Impact.
- Sachi

Lordradec007
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lordradec007 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:27 pm

To my understanding, I have two, maybe three theories on these giant radiant beings.
1. The Rebuild timeline is shared with the Original timeline, which is why that each 33 impacts spawned another Adam, so there are 4 Adams in the Rebuild timeline meaning that the "4th impact" is actually the 100th impact, thus foreshadowing a bit on the conclusion to the ongoing conflict and repetition between Lilin and Adams.
2. The Adams themselves are reincarnations/fragments of the pilots that have to do with the loop and to seek out a proper way to end the loop with precise manipulation without interference in either physical or mental, but in the metaphysical plain of the existence that shows to be very vague. (Though I'm not sure on that theory, but let me know what I've done wrong ok?)
3. The Adams are a faction of rogue angels in which they support individualism, while the Lilin, another faction but with a contrast belief, supports unity of all beings. Both Adam and Lilith try to make peace between the two factions, but instead caused a loop in which the conflict between Adams and Lilin only gets progressively worse as it drags on. The solution for the continuous loop remains unknown to me as only time (but mostly fate) would tell in the final chapter of the Rebuild saga.

Though that could be valid points, yet the answers aren't there as the questions still remain unanswered.
Maybe when the final installment comes up, all would becoming full circle don't you think? :chinscratch:
"Imagination is a powerful tool that can shape ideas to life through idealistic concepts and thought-provoking depth of development that each individual can create through precise thinking and masterful direction... as long as you put enough work into your creations, then anything in life is possible"

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Or a simpler answer: There is no loop or Original series connection and they are simply ancient beings that landed on Earth, possibly had a similar conflict with Lilith as the NGE had, and were reawakened billions of years later
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Lordradec007
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lordradec007 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:13 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Or a simpler answer: There is no loop or Original series connection and they are simply ancient beings that landed on Earth, possibly had a similar conflict with Lilith as the NGE had, and were reawakened billions of years later

There's a rinse and repeat mechanic in that loop, but left the planet changeable from the ocean being red to the red streak on the moon which is reminiscent to the ending of End of Evangelion. It's proof that something is a bit off in the Rebuild timeline, despite there are bits of changes comparison to the Original timeline, meaning that something big is coming to the final chapter of the Rebuild saga. Whether you agree with me or not, it depends on what Hideaki Anno has to say as the final film draws near in the midst 1st/2nd quarter of 2018.
"Imagination is a powerful tool that can shape ideas to life through idealistic concepts and thought-provoking depth of development that each individual can create through precise thinking and masterful direction... as long as you put enough work into your creations, then anything in life is possible"

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Isn't Unit 01 supposed to be the three eyed one?
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:53 am

A better way to put it would be that Eva-01 having three eyes when pseudo-evolved suggests that it and the three-eyed Adam are the same being.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ArvisTaljik
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ArvisTaljik » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm still totally vague on how the Lilith/Mk.06 amalgamation we see in 3.0 is created in the 14 year time gap. Kaworu explains that the Mk.06 was modified to be autonomous, presumably by stuffing an angel into it since it registers as one a couple minutes later. But then did it go rogue and head down to Terminal Dogma for some freaky Angel/Lilith action, and if it did, who hucked the two spears at it to stop that process from continuing? And who hacked Lilith's head off in all its Rei-like gory glory? Kaworu seems partially in the dark as to what actually went on so I doubt he was involved so then that begs the question of if Rei IV and the Mk.09 put a stop to what was happening or not. Either way, the Adam/Mk.06 has some strange stuff going on.

But this still leaves open the plot hole of the Mk.06 being an Adam (and therefore already an angel) to begin with in which case why would it need to have ANOTHER angel stuffed into it? (11th Angel or 12th, can't remember) This would then make Unit 13's final form a tripartite combination of an Eva, an Adam, and another angel... this doesn't seem to make much sense overall. :/
peace: /piːs/
noun: a condition attained through the decisive employment of superior firepower

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:32 am

Well, I always thought these were clearly just Ultramen. I mean it's not even up for debate. Their crosses and symbols match EXACTLY to the fight of Ace Killer in Ultraman Ace when he crucifies the previous Ultras at Golgotha. There are specific similarities as well like Ultra Seven's forehead jewel, Zoffy's studded Chest and Ace's Circle around his "core." However, if you stop to think about it Ultraman gave birth to Evangelion right? Why are we sure these are Adams? Could these not be the FAR? The First Ancestral Race could have created Adam in their image right? The original Adam looks a lot like the Eva Units and these do look more like Ultraman, no shoulder pylons, specific symbols for their name, etc. etc.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 am

@ArvisTalkjik: By all indications, Mark.06 was supposed to be Seele's trump card -- their way of making Instrumentality happen according to their exact specifications. In Q, we see that Mark.09 is capable of running on a "Seele program", so presumably something similar was done to Mark.06. (Why Mark.09 ever bothers with a Rei pilot at all, I dunno.) The 12th Angel was probably not part of the plan beyond providing a possible means to awaken Mark.06. As we see with Eva-01 and Eva-13, they need to absorb an Angel in order to "awaken", so presumably 06 would have functioned similarly.

However, I suspect that there was an Eva that came in between the 12th showing up and Mark.06 getting infected. The reason for this is Lilith. The decapitated head that is, unlike the rest of Lilith, Rei-shaped, suggests that the 12th Angel actually hijacked an Eva that was being piloted by a Rei clone. Eva-07, perhaps -- merch indicates its color was black, thus the present Rei's black plugsuit could be a holdover from a previous Rei's assignment. In any case, we would have something similar to what the 10th Angel attempted, only successful. Merge with Rei-piloted Eva; reach Central Dogma; awaken Lilith. Due to the influence of the Rei clone, Lilith at first takes on Rei's form, evident in the decapitated head.

In response to this, Seele are forced to have Mark.06 intervene. 06 uses its power to lop Lilith's head off and it then merges into the stub in order to contain the Angel and redirect the Impact that's been triggered. Since it needs to absorb the Angel in order to fully awaken anyway, it does precisely this -- drawing the 12th out of Lilith and containing it within itself. (This results in Lilith's body defaulting to its usual amorphous form.) However, for reasons unknown (sabotage previously undertaken by Gendo?), instead of being awakened Mark.06 simply became a vessel for the Angel. 06 is lost.

By this point, Nerv's other Evas along with the JSSDF have already tried to stop Lilith and the Impact, to no avail. So, as a last resort, Eva-01 is freed. The Spear of Cassius is removed from her, and she goes to town. Eva-01 exerts influence over the Failures of Infinity and effectively assimilates them (hence why the mostly-completed ones all look like her), preventing any from successfully reaching Lilith and obtaining the Fruit of Life. Bringing the Spear of Cassius with her, she goes to Central Dogma to put an end to things. She retrieves a second spear -- the one that had kept Lilith subdued on the cross -- and impales 06 and Lilith, successfully containing the Angel and stopping Third Impact. Then she takes a nap (because if she didn't deactivate voluntarily after this, Nerv would never have been able to send in her into space).

Until more information is available, I'm pretty happy with this explanation.

ArvisTaljik wrote:This would then make Unit 13's final form a tripartite combination of an Eva, an Adam, and another angel... this doesn't seem to make much sense overall. :/

In that case, "Eva" and "Adam" are basically the same thing. 13 is -- in the same way presumably 01 and 06 are -- an Adam that was repurposed into an Eva. It's speculated currently that 01, 06, and 13 were three Adams whose bodies remained intact after Second Impact, just in a sort of "burnt-out" state that requires the power of an Angel in order to be restored to its former glory. The fourth Adam may have been mostly lost, in a similar manner as the original Adam from NGE, the Key of Nebuchadnezzar being all that remains of it.

MuscleRobo wrote:Why are we sure these are Adams?

Your post doesn't indicate what it's replying to (definitely not the post that comes before it; I would suggest editing in a quote to reduce disorientation), but assuming you're talking about the Radiant Giants of 2I, of course they're the Adams. That's how we first learned about the term "Adams" -- because an image of those giants appeared in the preview at the end of 1.0 with the caption "ADAMS" accompanying it. The drawing for the version actually used in 2.0 is similarly labeled "Adams" in the 2.0 CRC.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”