Shin Eva - Official Social Media

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm

To be entirely fair, what Anno is doing with NTE is somewhat unprecedented in both the Japanese and the American film industries. To announce a series of 4 fully produced, high budgeted, feature length animated action/sci-fi films that cover different elements of the same overarching story and then actually follow through on that promise is way too crazy for pretty much any animation director that isn't Hideaki Anno. Sure, you can point at other animated film trilogies and whatnot throughout even Pixar's history, but none of them were planned to be trilogies. Not even Pixar is crazy enough to promise you 3 whole Toy Story movies as the studio's first major production. You had to wait the 15 years it takes for Market Research, Test Audiences, and Demographic Charts to convince a studio at least 5 times Khara's size to sign off on these productions. (Hell, Disney isn't even confident enough to promise you 3 mediocre Cars movies up front. You have to wait for the disappointing announcement of each miserable sequel one at a time.)

We're kind of watching animated film history in the making here, guys. I'm excited it's happening at all.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Evangelion's site and Facebook/Twitter covers updated with new images - First teases of Shin Eva

Postby Sachi » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 am

The thing about Eva is that it was a well established franchise before Anno announced the new films. It's comparable to when Disney announced the new Star Wars trilogy on top of promising stand alone films, or even further back when Lucas announced the prequel trilogy.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 am

Anno's work is different from both the sequels and the prequels I'd say. Lucas' movies are frankly bad, the production value is not as high as the originals even if the budget was higher, and Disney seems to have a clear idea only on the release dates of the movies.

Anno's movies are more similar to a literaly work than other movies, he has reworked his own source material for more than a decade at this stage to publish a "third edition" (NGE TV was the first edition, NGE DC was the second edition).

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:The thing about Eva is that it was a well established franchise before Anno announced the new films. It's comparable to when Disney announced the new Star Wars trilogy on top of promising stand alone films, or even further back when Lucas announced the prequel trilogy.

True. But at the same, live-action movies usually don't take 5+ years to produce. The Han Solo solo movie has a production period that's lasting well over 4 months, and that's considered unusually long in the live-action film business. (Much of that time being spent on creative differences between the initial directors and Kathleen Kennedy.) Post production and visual effects will total that film's making to about two years, maximum. Disney's Dinosaur, on the other hand, spent 12 years in various parts of production before being released in the year 2000. I would say that the differences between the animation production process and the live-action production process is enough to consider Anno's work with NTE as a new precedent in filmmaking, even with the existence of planned live-action film trilogies like Star Wars.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

Well the other big deal is the new Evangelion films are basically independent productions. Khara + Anno & his collaborators are not beholden to any larger studio/distributor. They can literally do whatever they want in these films and can take as long as they want.

Even when George Lucas was doing the Star Wars Prequels his company - Lucasfilm - was responding directly to 20th Century Fox. I'm sure that while Fox gave Lucas massive freedom (another major difference between the tired "Anno is like Lucas" is that Lucas listened to the opinion of no one and those films are unquestionably his vision while the behind-the-scenes of 2.0 show he is truly collaborating with his peers to make the films having trusted Kazuya Tsurumaki with the creation of Mari Makinami's character) I'm positive Fox gave him some strict guidelines to follow. Namely that the films can't exceed a certain runtime, they can't exceed a certain budget and that each movie MUST be ready within a certain timeframe. These are rules studios (at least American ones) rarely sway on.... as far as I can recall the only recent case of a studio playing nice with a production team was when Christopher Nolan did The Dark Knight trilogy & he was allowed to make his own original movies in between Batman films. Once George Lucas said he could make a Summer 1999 release date for Episode I I'm sure Fox laid out their calendar of Episode II in Summer 2002 and Episode III in 2005. It's assembly line production.
Disney is doing the same thing with their new Star Wars movie. Each "Core" movie comes out two years after the previous (Episode VII in 2015, Episode VIII in 2017, Episode IX in 2019) with a spin-off being released in the interim between (Rogue One, Solo) and with Rian Johnson supposed to start his new "original" trilogy this year you can bet those movies are keyed in for release dates in the years 2020, 2022 & 2024.

New Evangelion being an independent production does give them not just more creative freedom (I doubt it Khara was beholden to a studio that they would allow Anno to take the story in the intentionally drastic and intentionally unsafe direction it took in 3.0 and would push for a more fan-friendly entry like 2.0) but also the freedom to take their time.

DrthRvn
Embryo

Postby DrthRvn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 am

HOLY SHIT

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:40 am

And the mug (alongside a Kyuubey mug!):

But "Home Self-Guard" doesn't sound all that like actual Eva to me...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:21 am

Khara uploaded what looks to me like a generic, non-Eva new poster to their Facebook page 3 hours ago. However, I cannot read Japanese moon-runes, so I have no idea what it actually is other than what I can tell by appearances alone.

Reminds me of the God Warrior Short Film  SPOILER: Show

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:And the mug (alongside a Kyuubey mug!):

But "Home Self-Guard" doesn't sound all that like actual Eva to me...
DrthRvn wrote:

HOLY SHIT

NEET = not (engaged) in education, employment or training

I guess it's self humor about being otakus

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Khara uploaded what looks to me like a generic, non-Eva new poster to their Facebook page 3 hours ago. However, I cannot read Japanese moon-runes, so I have no idea what it actually is other than what I can tell by appearances alone.

Reminds me of the God Warrior Short Film  SPOILER: Show

"Happy new year"

They are late even with that :tongue:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:17 am

Cool merchandise.
That's about all.
Wouldn't read into it much.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby hui43210 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm curious what this reply by the EVA account said. Probably noting important but translate didn't really give me a clear answer.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Google translate

Well 2018, I wonder if there were a lot of people who started work from today. Thank you very much for your help during the old year, please continue this year to the Evangelion series!

Bing translate

Well, TBH, I think I had a lot of work started today. Thank you very much indebted to the old year, please also this year Evangelion series!

I presume it's referring to the fact that today was the first day of work for most of Japan (they have long holidays at the start of the year) and they want us to follow Eva in 2018 too. Or maybe a lot of people started working on the movie today, the implications are basically the same.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:30 pm

khara 2 has a new Twitter header:

Kaworu has "β" on the suit instead of "Α", but I don't even know if that's a new or old picture.

DrthRvn
Embryo

Postby DrthRvn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:18 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:khara 2 has a new Twitter header:

Kaworu has "β" on the suit instead of "Α", but I don't even know if that's a new or old picture.

Asuka has the patch in the wrong eye

dorothy0804
Embryo

what did the new banner of @khara_inc2 show?

Postby dorothy0804 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 am

@カラー 2号機 has changed its twitter banner before 1.9,
but no one talked about this?
α on kaworu's back turned into β
and the background is EVA.13

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: what did the new banner of @khara_inc2 show?

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 am

Thats the Omega symbol isn't it?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:11 am

Lowercase beta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

EDIT: The illustration is by Mahiro Maeda. That's his signature partially visible on the left.

前田 真宏
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 am

You want to protect that smile.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

So it's probably an early conpect for the Dogma part of 3.0 considering that Maeda's name is quite present in the credits, "Director, Storyboard, Design, Image Board, Key Animation, Screenplay Cooperation" according to Anime News Network.

Zeruss
Adam

Postby Zeruss » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Thanks to Reichu's recognition of Maeda's signature, I was able to find the illustration while searching through twitter using his name in japanese--Apparently he made it for the opening of a store called 'Animate' in Bangkok back in 2016!

It was mentioned by the official evangelion twitter account and everything at the time (2nd image):
SPOILER: Show

Here's a better view:
SPOILER: Show
I'm a lurker at heart.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”