Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:19 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Are you saying that Fuyutsuki isn't that tall?

Well yes, he certainly isn't considered that tall. He is tall but right in the limit of be considered tall. He looks really tall to us because the rest of the cast (with exception Kaji and maybe Gendo) is average/short, as it should be since we are talking about a Japanese cast and in Japan the average height is 1.72 for men and 1.58 for women.

In general, relatively tall can be considered someone with/or over 1.75 and tall someone with over/or 1.80 height.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Except what we know of Misato places her at 163 centimeters (or 5'3 and a half inches) in height. Judging her height versus both Gendo and Fuyutsuki, the more likely estimate is that they are at least six feet tall, and thus taller than the average Japanese man (which makes sense, given that they are taller than the other men in the same line-ups).

Remember, they aren't designed to the Japanese average, to emphasize their authority: they tower over everyone.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Let's just say the heights are unclear. Here are two useful pictures, with scales on - but sadly they don't agree. So if the Japanese themselves don't really know the exact heights, who are we to tell them?

Eva cast with height scales -  SPOILER: Show
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Man, I don't even know why this is a point of discussion. We know Misato's stated height, and we have a height comparison of all the cast in official materials, so what's left to discuss?

Also, I'm really unclear as to why a height chart from the new movies is being used in this thread, since we know the characters have different heights in those films than they did in NGE. Using such a chart here is misleading at best.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

That and we all remember the heights of the EVA's themselves differing greatly in NGE. Who's to say that these same animation errors cant also apply to the characters?
Last edited by Arcadia's legacy on Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:11 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Maybe you are right, except one thing tho.

Tall?

Really?

Where you responding to me? It's been almost a year since I made that post, and I forgot I had actually made it.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:14 pm

merged from elsewhere to a more on-topic thread.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Whoops my bad.

Got pretty confused.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

elcruzado
Embryo

Re: Eva character heights

•      
  •      

Postby elcruzado » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 am

Perhaps the Eva pilots are so short because they were born after the Second Impact. In the chaos that followed, I'm sure they didn't get proper nutrition, which stunted their growth. Average Japanese male height in the 1700s was like 5'1 anyways.

(I apologize for the necropost. I first read this thread like 4 years ago when I first watched Eva. I recently rewatched the series and this dawned on me, so I decided to finally make a Evageeks account.)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:31 am

Or perhaps it's just that they are, y'know, children.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:13 am

I haven't seen this much discussion about height since people started speculating about Godzilla: Monster Planet.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Related-ish:

Giant Dead Rei  SPOILER: Show

For the first time in many years, I was possessed by an urgent need to know just how massive Lilith's corpse actually is. This crude but nonetheless educational image was the result. The Lilith Islands would be approximately 127 km from head to knee!

Disclaimer: With NGE being a bit flaky when it comes to how big things are relative to one another (and EoE pushing this to especially ludicrous new degrees), this is obviously just a rough idea. Some notes:

- Google Maps for the map.
- Source image for GNR is the shot where her wings evaporate, shortly before she falls apart into chunks. Sorry for potato quality; even the BD version wasn't big enough, and I didn't feel like redrawing it.
- Sketchy lines under GNR are meant to show the submerged section of thigh. (Rest of legs would be lying shin-down on ocean floor.)
- Black Moon plus explosion crater is scaled to map according to the diameter of the BM provided in production material, which is 12.75 km. In the actual show from the movie, the BM is far too large.
- Height of bent-back GNR calculated from the image where the Moon bleeds on her abdomen before exploding. Again, using 12.75 km as the diameter of the Black Moon.
- Lake Ashi shows through the Black Moon to indicate where Tokyo-3 had been. (The city it at the north shore of the lake.)
- Goodbye, Miyake Island. We hardly knew ye.
- Final scene of EoE takes place in Manazuru? (EDIT: whoops, that's underwater) I dunno lol
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Isn't Manazuro under the sea level post second impact?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Back in the day I wrote this

Start by taking 160km/100 miles as a round number for Giant Naked Rei (GNR)'s height (though actually she looks taller than 12 geofront diameters)

which pretty much accords with your value, with the caveat that I was going for a round number and felt that might be an underestimate, based on

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:05 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Isn't Manazuro under the sea level post second impact?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. XD Thanks for the reminder!

EDIT: I messed up my scaling badly somewhere, evidenced in the fact that GNR and the Black Moon are not to proper scale with each other. Sigh! I'll post a fixed version later. Nope! Redid all my work and it turned out to be (hopefully!) just a side effect of GNR's proportions being drawn differently between the reference image and the aerial view. Some further tweaking can be done (make Black Moon very slightly smaller and GNR very slightly bigger), which I'll incorporate into the probable Ver.2.0.

EDIT 2: Fixed problem noted by Mr. Tines below.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:19 am

between the [url=I've since

Did anything important get lost in the edit?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:33 pm

I want to ski on Lilth's boobs.

That is all.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:12 am

When entering a thread about character heights, I wasn't expecting this (for some reason).

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:31 am

First Lilith, then Godzilla... Anno really likes putting giant creepy things near Kamakura.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Character Heights

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:41 pm

This Tumblr post by someone named "Dancing Whales" (or "Zeerus"; I'm uncertain on how Tumblr aliases work) shows a surprisingly thorough attempt at coming up with as much of an accurate estimate of the characters' heights as possible, using various methods applied to a TV series-based official chart.

Here is a gallery of all the images used in the post, just in case something happens to the originals (e.g. an unexpected account ban; Tumblr is quite infamous for these). For the ones who want to simply skip to the final result, see below.

"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”