Evangelion Pic Thread 10: The Society for the Appreciation Of The Premium Girl (and her friends)

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 10: The Society for the Appreciation Of The Premium Girl (and her friends)

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 am

If Shinji was a boss in a Persona game, his form would look something like this.

SPOILER: Show

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Evangelion Pic Thread 10: The Society for the Appreciation Of The Premium Girl (and her friends)

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:27 am

So, Akadama-sensei's fan from Uchouten Kazoku and Koyomi Araragi's arm(s) from his fight with Guillotine Cutter in Kizumonogatari-hen?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 am

^I don't know what either of those things are.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:05 am

View Original PostRay wrote:^I don't know what either of those things are.

Heh I don't either. Nice image tho.

Awwww  SPOILER: Show

Something Different  SPOILER: Show
Last edited by Microsoft_Sam on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:07 am

You may want to rehost that second image.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 am

The fan can whip up a wind powerful enough to destroy things (Daikoku, Kofuku's shinki in Noragami is similar, but more specific in effect); in Araragi's fight, he uses his vampire powers (it's the moment at which he fully accepts his powers as a vampire) to transform his arms into ribbons which trap Guillotine Cutter while winding up in the form of a tree.

Looking back at your image, though, maybe that arm is blades, not ribbons...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:47 am

It feels weird to me to see Shinji being wept upon by various Q iterations of Misato and Asuka. Does it feel weird to anyone else? Not weird in the sense that "It'll ever happen," but more like these fan works are a result of Eva fans projecting themselves upon Shinji (or otherwise feeling sympathy for him) and wanting to see all of the characters express remorse over his treatment in 3.33.

I've technically been around since the days when the majority of fans still hated Shinji for being a whiney brat. This shift in attitudes towards Shinji by the fan base is strikingly different from the attitudes back when NGE was Anno's only Eva creation. This fascinates me.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It feels weird to me to see Shinji being wept upon by various Q iterations of Misato and Asuka. Does it feel weird to anyone else? Not weird in the sense that "It'll ever happen," but more like these fan works are a result of Eva fans projecting themselves upon Shinji (or otherwise feeling sympathy for him) and wanting to see all of the characters express remorse over his treatment in 3.33.

I've technically been around since the days when the majority of fans still hated Shinji for being a whiney brat. This shift in attitudes towards Shinji by the fan base is strikingly different from the attitudes back when NGE was Anno's only Eva creation. This fascinates me.

In what way and is it a bad thing? Most of the art is Japanese however. I would hope the characters would have some sympathy for the poor kid.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 am

View Original PostMicrosoft_Sam wrote:

The Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is strong in this one.

:rei_hissyfit:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:13 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It feels weird to me to see Shinji being wept upon by various Q iterations of Misato and Asuka. Does it feel weird to anyone else? Not weird in the sense that "It'll ever happen," but more like these fan works are a result of Eva fans projecting themselves upon Shinji (or otherwise feeling sympathy for him) and wanting to see all of the characters express remorse over his treatment in 3.33.

I do wonder though if the shift is also due to his saving Rei in 2.22 even though it started an impact event I recall in an interview with Spike Spencer the interviewer was going Shinji had "maned up now" which I didn't agree with as I don't see him as a coward even in the original series (EOE is different and I'm not gonna go in to it) he was just a person trying his best even though the odds were heavily piled against him and unlike Rei and Asuka he's not trained he gets thrown in at the deep end.

I do feel that rebuild Shinji is closer to manga Shinji in that he just never gives up and if he feels he did something wrong he wants to fix it to help everyone. I do wonder if this was maybe Anno's whole plan though in that he wants people to love Shinji and be rooting for him because so much bad has happened that we'll love the final and feel for filled by the ending...or maybe he'll just pull the rug out from under our feet like he did with EOE and have a lot of people being pissed off all over again.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:55 pm

@Freaky: your post prompted me to post something, but it felt more appropriate being over here: post/866973/Stuff-that-you-would-like-to-see-in-31/#866973

But yeah, I agree that it's rather interesting the abundance of fan art depicting what you describe. I think it's also part of an emotional catharsis to want these characters to forget all their differences, to let down their walls, and to shut up and love each other.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 pm

It's not just relatability or empathy but a tension within the movie itself - Shinji gets to see the worst of their attitudes toward him rather than the moments that suggest a lingering attachment somewhere, and they don't really process Shinji's side to is as they once would have, like if everyone in the movie had seen the whole movie this might be the result. Or maybe not there's a lot of barriers keeping them from seeing each other the same way...
Shinji in particular, well he's a tad butthurt in the beginning when he was still largely confused but he doesn't really want to fight any of them.
The movie lives of the "we used to be friends" angle.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 pm

View Original PostMicrosoft_Sam wrote:In what way and is it a bad thing? Most of the art is Japanese however. I would hope the characters would have some sympathy for the poor kid.

Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's just an unusual trend to see in the fandom. It makes me wonder is Anno made a more sympathetic Shinji (Anno's admitted self-insert) for NTE because he (probably) hates himself less these days than he did during the production of NGE. And I wonder if Anno's (supposed) change in the handling of Shinji is what's causing the fandom to suddenly open up to Shinji.

Granted, the works of art are Japanese, and I think they've always been a bit more sympathetic to Shinji than the Americans were. But good luck finding a lot of those Americans sharing that sentiment back in the Late 90's, Early 00's.

@silvermoonlight, I agree with your stance on NGE Shinji. I also do wonder what Anno's up to next.

@Sachi, I'm gonna respond in that other thread as well.

EDIT

@Kendrix
, yeah, Eva Q hits pretty hard. God, I love Eva.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Oh, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's just an unusual trend to see in the fandom. It makes me wonder is Anno made a more sympathetic Shinji (Anno's admitted self-insert) for NTE because he (probably) hates himself less these days than he did during the production of NGE. And I wonder if Anno's (supposed) change in the handling of Shinji is what's causing the fandom to suddenly open up to Shinji.

Granted, the works of art are Japanese, and I think they've always been a bit more sympathetic to Shinji than the Americans were. But good luck finding a lot of those Americans sharing that sentiment back in the Late 90's, Early 00's.

Yeah, the change in attitude is welcome, I just didn't know how to process your perspective at the time.

Though I'm mainly posting these sorts of images to drive Ray, Stillborn and other pessimists insane. :D :devil:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:37 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It's not just relatability or empathy but a tension within the movie itself - Shinji gets to see the worst of their attitudes toward him rather than the moments that suggest a lingering attachment somewhere, and they don't really process Shinji's side to is as they once would have, like if everyone in the movie had seen the whole movie this might be the result. Or maybe not there's a lot of barriers keeping them from seeing each other the same way...
Shinji in particular, well he's a tad butthurt in the beginning when he was still largely confused but he doesn't really want to fight any of them.
The movie lives of the "we used to be friends" angle.

I agree with that plus this shift in everyone hating his guts and being mean to him makes the whole thing with Kaworu even more tragic as he is the one who is nice to him and open with him so when he dies for Shinji its utter heartbreak and though I don't like Shinji's comment about Rei not being real when he finds out the truth which she over hears on his com its more an echo that he's reached his mental limit and its just one more person he doesn't know any more. He just doesn't realize how much that comment hurts her but this is still true to Evangelion as the series and EOE is about how you hurt others and sometimes yourself.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:56 pm

EDIT: Could a mod split this tangent off? It seems to merit its own discussion.

It would be nice if Misato and Shinji could forgive each other for everything that's gone on, eve if its just a smile at the end of the movie before the credits roll. And clearly, the sympathy towards Shinji comes from us watching that know everything (the plot/Anno has shown us that is), that Shinji did not mean to cause any of this, and only wanted to help Rei, and who was used a a pawn knowing his connection to Rei would cause an impact. Everyone's had a situation where "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" so they (myself included) can entirely sympathize with being blamed for something that happened when all they were trying to do was make things better.It makes Shinji appear more human to make a mistake like this, whereas in EoE Shinji said "fuck the world" and started Third Impact. So in the 15 years between EoE and Q, Shinji's motives have gone from being an actual selfish prick to just trying to save a friend, making him less of a whiny child and more of your typical mecha anime hero.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Moved in case the topic is spilt.

Shinji/Kaworu (In that universe where Kaworu isn't pushing daisy's)

Peanuts Vs Evangelion

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Translation of Kawoshin caption: "May 23rd looks like a perfect day for kissing."

Kaworu as Linus... I like that. Interesting take on him.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

Zeruss
Adam

Postby Zeruss » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Speaking of Peanuts & Eva, there's this doujin I've been trying to get for a while that is just that, and it looks absolutely adorable.
It's called "The Book of EVA: Q" by 'Koushi' (here's their -slightly nsfw- Pixiv gallery) and here are some samples courtesy of Mandarake:

I love it.
I'm a lurker at heart.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Really you can take any Peanuts comic strip out of context and apply it to a situation in Eva.

Return to “Old Stickies”