Rebuild's dub

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
macattack
Embryo

Postby macattack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:39 am

All right, I'm gonna cast Rebuild now, for all to see . . .

Union LA dub

Shinji: Johnny Yong Bosch
Asuka: Olivia Hack (seriously, listen to her in Blood+. BRAT DEFINED!)
Rei: Stephanie Sheh
Misato: Wendee Lee
Ritsuko: Mary McGlynn
Gendo: Steven Jay Blum
Kensuke: Derek Stephen Prince
Kaji: Matt Miller
Toji: Steve Staley
Hikari: Kari Wahlgren
Fuyutsuki: Kyle Hebert
Maya: Michelle Ruff
Hyuga: Dave Wittenburg
Aoba: Travis Willingham
Kaoru: Yuri Lowenthal

Texas:

Shinji: Chris Patton
Asuka: Tiffany Grant
Rei: Brina Palencia
Misato: Carrie Savage
Ritsuko: Colleen Clinkenbeard
Gendo: Christopher R. Sabat
Kensuke: Eric Vale
Kaji: Don 'Sonny' Strait
Toji: Jason Leinbacht
Hikari: Luci Christian
Fuyutsuki: The guy who voiced the Fuhrer in Fullmetal Alchemist
Maya: Cynthia Cranz
Hyuga: Vic Mignogna
Aoba: Troy Baker
Kaoru: Greg Ayres

Vancouver:

Shinji: Saffron Henderson
Asuka: Kelly Sheridan
Rei: Chantal Strand
Misato: Nicole Olivier
Ritsuko: Willow Johnson
Gendo: Scott McNeil
Kensuke: Matthew Erickson
Kaji: Brian Drummond
Toji: Brad Swaile
Hikari: Vanessa Morley
Fuyutsuki: Brian Dobson
Maya: Cathy Weselluck
Hyuga: Matt Hill
Aoba: Sam Vincent
Kaoru: Kirby Morrow
This I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual is the more valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, any religion, or any government which limits or destroys the individual.
-John Steinbeck

marmotgirl
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby marmotgirl » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:59 am

Nothing ever made me want to kill myself more than Greg Ayres in the DC dub. Oh god, the whiny, half-broken-voiced horror of it...

Come back "Quaroo" dude, all is forgiven :lol:

The scary thing is, that Texas cast is so predictable, that it would almost certainly be accurate. They typecast their actors to the point of parody these days. I know that the slightly goofy, but ultimately capable wisecracker is going to be Sonny Strait. I know the gruff dude is going to be Chris Sabat. I know that the mature, mysterious/superior/badass woman is going to be Coleen Clinkenbeard. I know that somewhere I am going to hear Vic Mignona and I'm going to scream. :lol:
"Dude, it's not that I don't think you're cool or anything but the fact is that that guy is driving a Big Red GTO and you're pissing about in an enraged banana."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:32 am

I produced a similar dub list somewhere a long time ago. The LA cast choices I made were similar to your choices, but I had Steven Jay Blum as Kaji and Crispin Freeman as Gendo. These are really the best people working in the dub industry right now, unfortunately ADV will get Rebuild and throw in whatever hacks they normally use.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:37 am

BrikHaus wrote:Crispin Freeman as Gendo.

I know I've seen him in one or two roles (Read or Die OVA, I think??). He'd be a good choice based on what I remember. ^_^
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shwiggie
Lilith

Postby Shwiggie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:00 pm

If ADV gets it, it'll be RahXephon all over again :P

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:16 pm

Shwiggie wrote:If ADV gets it, it'll be RahXephon all over again :P

If ADV get it it'll be Evangelion all over again. XD Assuming that all of the old ADV bods haven't been killed in mysterious circumstances or joined the French Foreign Legion.

From what I remember RahXephon's dub was better than Evangelions dub anyway.
Misato: Wendee Lee
My ambition is to one day see a cast lists that dosent involve Wendee Lee in anyway at all.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby AuthenticM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:12 am

The more I think about it, the more I think they should cast theatre actors. Screw anime dubbers, cast some real talent!
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Postby slothen » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:33 am

AuthenticM wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think they should cast theatre actors. Screw anime dubbers, cast some real talent!

seriously, if the goddamn animated summer pixar whatever movies can get top notch actors to voice stupid roles, then rebuild should be able to get them too. Especially if they sign Robin Williams first.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:13 am

The main problem, as ever, is budget. Anime dubs are done with about as much as the latter episodes of NGE were.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:25 am

The only VA from the Mangle and original ADV dub that I want it Tristain McAvery, but I doubt that ain't gonna happen if ADV gets it, unless either:
1. They offer him 5 wheel barrows full of money, or
2. They offer him Matt Greenfield's head on a fucking platter.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:32 pm

I don't see any reason to replace people from the original dub that are still available.

EDIT: Yeah, either that or hire some fucking TALENT from someplace outside the industry. I don't wanna hear Crisping Freeman, Cam Clarke and their cohorts in place of Spencer and Keith. That'd be the worst case scenario and at the same time, the most likely.

EDIT2: No disrespect intended towards Cameron Clarke. You know I love you. Nightly.
If I have no soul to touch, no heart to love, no evil to rise up above
No angels and no ghosts, no real victories to toast
If you believe that this is true then I must ask;
to what end do you proceed?

-Dustin Kensrue, Thrice

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:43 pm

no dubs, just subs. worked for Pan's Labyrinth.(i guess?)
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Kaminoyouni wrote:no dubs, just subs. worked for Pan's Labyrinth.(i guess?)

Maybe if Bandai Visual USA (not Bandai Ent) gets it. That would be worst case scenario, because you'd be paying $40 per movie for just subs. Let's hope somebody else gets it because it would be cheaper, and there'd probably be a dub as a bonus for those who like it.
Awesomely Shitty
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Zkh » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:02 pm

macattack wrote:Shinji: Johnny Yong Bosch

Overrated voicewhore should be shot in the vocal cords. His voice doesn't fit Shinji at all.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:37 pm

Zkh wrote:
macattack wrote:Shinji: Johnny Yong Bosch
<snip> His voice doesn't fit Shinji at all.
Agreed, sounds just a wee bit too old. Yeah yeah, I know Bosch did the voice of Renton in E7; but, still. Bosch is the Jude Law of anime right now! :roll:

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:27 pm

You guys all talk like your actually going to watch the dub or something.

As long as I get a DVD with good video quality and the option to watch it subbed than I really don't give a damn who they get. Unless they get Hilary Haag, in which case it's gonna be all dub all the time baby, owwwww!
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby cat42 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Think about it this way tri, lets say, that by some miracle, there is a limited release of this in American theaters.

If there is a dub for this, which do you think will be showing? The Dub? or the Sub?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:09 pm

cat42 wrote:Think about it this way tri, lets say, that by some miracle, there is a limited release of this in American theaters.

If there is a dub for this, which do you think will be showing? The Dub? or the Sub?

I think that by the time Rebuild theoretically made it to American Theaters, all of the hardcore fans (us) would have already seen it, and probably have access to it via some other medium should we want to see it again.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

shinesman_cobalt
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby shinesman_cobalt » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:22 pm

They already replaced most of the cast members form the "Platinum Edition" already. So It's safe to assume that they will use those people again, if they all agree to return. Personally, I thought the first dub was great, but this being Eva, ANY english dub will NEVER be enough for some die-hard fans. Personally, it nothing else, I hope Spike Spencer and Allison Keith come back.
"What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks!?"

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:06 pm

shinesman_cobalt wrote:Personally, it nothing else, I hope Spike Spencer and Allison Keith come back.

Checking their respective resumes on ANN, it looks like neither one gets a whole lot of dubbing work (that should probably tell you something) so I'd say they would definitely come back if offered the parts.
Awesomely Shitty

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”