Trailer

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:08 pm

V wrote:WOW. I can see clearly now http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M5F2Yr0NEw&mode=related&search=

ZOMG!
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 pm

Reichu wrote:
TriLink wrote:Sho almost looks like a zombie the way she's walking around 01:07.

I really don't like that part; thought it looked stupid from the moment I saw it in the Shit Screener. I liked it much better when she was walking slowly and solidly out of the blast, eliciting a sense of fortitude and menace -- instead of wobbling around like... whatever.

The wobbling I thought was kind of cool because it shows that (if Shinji is back in control at that point) he's still having trouble piloting it. Of course, that may not be the case at all. I'm just guessing.

Indigo wrote:Apparently, there have been rumours that there will be a Western theatrical release. Frankly, I think it's a load of bollocks, but...(sighs)...one can dream.........

Miyazaki's movies barely get any Western release, so I doubt that this movie will have much fanfare in the West. Most likely none at all, but perhaps a few select screens in New York, Los Angeles, and Texas (where ever the hell ADV is located).

Reichu wrote:Re: Tokyo-3 -- that particular CG looks fine to me. Shamshel is more bothersome than ever. Shiny octahedron is shiiiiiny. The Evas look "CG-tastic", despite assertions that they aren't. (If they are not, it certainly isn't as obvious as it is with teh Lilimz.)

The city definitely looked good. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Evas look CG-tastic (copyright BrikHaus, 2007).

Annihilator wrote:did anyone notice a second before Satchiel self destructs there blood flying threw the air?

Yeah, I see that now, but I didn't catch it the first 70 times I watched the trailer. Are you guys watching this thing frame by frame or what? ;)
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Annihilator
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilator » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:27 pm

BrikHaus wrote:
Annihilator wrote:did anyone notice a second before Satchiel self destructs there blood flying threw the air?

Yeah, I see that now, but I didn't catch it the first 70 times I watched the trailer. Are you guys watching this thing frame by frame or what? ;)

acctualy... yes i was.. (not kidding)

i was bored.. and just did it

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Annihilator wrote:did anyone notice a second before Satchiel self destructs there blood flying threw the air? :D

That's kind of icky.

BrikHaus wrote:The wobbling I thought was kind of cool because it shows that (if Shinji is back in control at that point) he's still having trouble piloting it. Of course, that may not be the case at all.

In episode #02, Yui was still in charge at that point. I don't see any reason why they would change that detail. (Hopefully there will be a better version of the naked face scene -- but I can only hope...)

If you want to show that someone is having trouble walking, that doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Evas look CG-tastic (copyright BrikHaus, 2007).

Nice try, Brikky-boy. ;)

Are you guys watching this thing frame by frame or what? ;)

Cripes, even I haven't done that yet. (The blurriness and lack of consistent... "single frame differentiation" put me off.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:46 pm

Take, in trailer EVA-00 with a shield comes on the plate to a mount in the area substation at Gotemba, it's really the site for shooting I think.

Here's trailer in .wmv, if it useful =)
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:59 pm

My comment from teh Youtube, copy/pasta due to not having a whole lotta time:

I hope those birds at the start means we get the appearance(s) of Bookend Rei 3 again. ^_^ I think the CG used doesn't look all that bad; I barely noticed it. Hopefully ALL the characters will be the same as the original version personalties (e.g.: No butchered Manga versions >_<), but some more character development after um, their gradual series un-development would be nice, too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:09 pm

I don??t know if this has been mentioned, but Ritsuko and Fuyutski don??t show up...

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:13 pm

wasn't it mentioned that the first movie will deal with the kids and school life moreso than nerv? They probably cut down Ritsuko/Fuyutsuki's appearances to a minimum.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:23 pm

Oh my bad :oops:

Though I did want to see more of Fuyutski... interesting character.

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:25 pm

This NOTHING mentioned because it's ONLY trailer! Maybe you want to see the whole movie? =) So there are Kaworu, Kaji, Kensuke, Maya, Shigeru and Makoto not showed... Who's was forgotten?)))
Last edited by CtHuLhU on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:25 pm

I'm surprised everyone thinks the Evas look so "CG-tastic". To me they're clearly hand-drawn.

Look very closely while they're moving and you'll see that the perspective changes aren't perfect while they move. If this were 3DCG, the perspective changes would be perfect. That's the way computers work. Humans simply have to make the best estimates they can.

Furthermore, look closely at Zerogouki's eye during its closeup. You should notice some outline jumping that wouldn't occur unless it was done by hand.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:27 pm

I found something else. When Rei is in front of the moon, it looks like shes holding something in her right hand. Though its too dark to tell what.

DarthMigit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DarthMigit » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:46 pm

Hmm, looks like a walkie-talkie or something.

The trailer in general was a nice little technical showcase. Obviously Ginax didn't want to reveal anything about the new story just yet so it's baisically the bits we've seen from ye olde evangelion with a lick of paint.

On a side note, I like the updated prog knives and is it just me or do those gnarly claw/mandible thingies Shamshel was sporting remind anyone of a woodlouse's underbelly? Or the plagas from Resident Evil 4?
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time

-Mr Eliot

corintium
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby corintium » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:06 pm

Reichu wrote:If you want to show that someone is having trouble walking, that doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

I think the wobbling, puppetry movement for EVA 01 is more accurate to what EVAs really are (man-controlled creatures).

I'm curious though,

what would be your sujection to a "look ma'! I came out of a big-azz explosion with no scratches on me"?

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:09 pm

corintium wrote:what would be your sujection to a "look ma'! I came out of a big-azz explosion with no scratches on me"?

A testament to the shear awesome of EVA-01?
Or her A.T. Field?
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm all for wobbly Eva walking out of the flames. In the original Eva 01 had that walk out of the fire simply cause up and down is easier (and cheaper) to animate than attempting some real walking.

Probably just me being overanalytical but seeing that walk and I can feel whole levels of character. It looks tired. Weary. Even sadness and self-hatred. I see that walk and I'm also thinking this is Eva 01's/Yui (?) first time out on the field it/she too has not gotten used to the weight and newfound strength going with being big and purple.

But also I just find the whole walk visually more exciting. At the very least, no matter what the visuals will be splendiforous!! In honesty I've always been bugged by Operation Yashima in the series because its supposed to be this epic, grand, moment and its one of the few times I feel the show's shoe-string budget actually hampers the show.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:50 pm

BrikHaus wrote:The wobbling I thought was kind of cool because it shows that (if Shinji is back in control at that point) he's still having trouble piloting it. Of course, that may not be the case at all. I'm just guessing.

My take was that they were trying to make Sho seem more "beastly" with the zombie walk. I can see them doing it regardless of who's controlling the thing just reiterate the point (that EVA's aren't robots) . But really, who the hell knows... :?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:06 pm

corintium wrote:I think the wobbling, puppetry movement for EVA 01 is more accurate to what EVAs really are (man-controlled creatures).

Giant humans cloned from a giant human and either controlled by the resident human soul or piloted by a clueless human teenager.

Hmm...

DarthMigit wrote:Obviously Ginax didn't want to reveal anything about the new story just yet so it's baisically the bits we've seen from ye olde evangelion with a lick of paint.

There was a percentage provided a while ago for the amount of material 'borrowed' from NGE. Someone ought to dig it up again. But I agree that showing little New Stuff is intentional.

Along with only showcasing the most popular Lilim characters who will be in the film. (Gendo included -- even if he isn't a cash ... bull?, he is a cultural icon.) Except for Kaworu, who doesn't get an appearance for obvious reasons.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Probably just me being overanalytical but seeing that walk and I can feel whole levels of character. It looks tired. Weary.

It sort of looks like my brother when he needs to stop playing DDR -- limbs flailing about, and all. Rather comical.

TriLink wrote:My take was that they were trying to make Sho seem more "beastly" with the zombie walk.

Ominously lurching forward would have done the job.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:I see that walk and I'm also thinking this is Eva 01's/Yui (?) first time out on the field it/she too has not gotten used to the weight and newfound strength going with being big and purple.

If she's managed to beat the living shit out of Sachiel, I doubt it.

In honesty I've always been bugged by Operation Yashima in the series because its supposed to be this epic, grand, moment and its one of the few times I feel the show's shoe-string budget actually hampers the show.

Episode #06 always bothered me; it has some of the crummier animation in the series. Even worse that it has direct continuity with #05, which is animated by the standard team and not the Backup Korean Sweatshop (or whatever). I can well understand Anno's sentiments regarding Operation Yashima.

NAveryW wrote:I'm surprised everyone thinks the Evas look so "CG-tastic".

Just two people, I thought?

But I'll take your word for it. Can you tell what they're doing with Sachiel and Shamshel? Both of them have "organic" forms (unlike Ramiel), so not hand-animating them (at least, not at all) would be a bit... inconsistent.

DarthMigit wrote:is it just me or do those gnarly claw/mandible thingies Shamshel was sporting remind anyone of a woodlouse's underbelly? Or the plagas from Resident Evil 4?

Not sure, but, as with the Eva color schemes, they seem to be picking stuff up off NGE's conceptual cutting room floor. Posted back on Page 10:

http://www.evacommentary.org/images_production/sachiel,shamshel_asari-designs.jpg
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Sachiel is definitely hand-drawn. Mr. Squiggly-ribs, I'd have to see more of to say for sure, but I'm pretty sure he's hand-drawn too. Ramiel is CGI.

I think they made the best decision by making it mainly background elements that are 3D, while living things are hand-drawn. Ramiel would be the exception, but of course since it's so geometric (and sparkly!) CGI works better for it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:22 pm

I can well understand Anno's sentiments regarding Operation Yashima.

what are they?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”