What anime are you watching right now? May07-Feb10

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 pm

Fearthebait wrote:Re-downloaded Eureka 7 but im waiting to watch it after i finish Eva and Outlaw Star.

Watching E7 after Eva would be a nice balance, since a lot of people compare E7 to Eva. I don't want to spoil anything, but E7 is, at times, as heart wrenching as Eva, and the characters, specially a certain pink-haired war machine, are just an engaging. Renton even has a Shinji moment when, after obliterating a KLF realizes that ... well, you'll have to watch now. Episode 26 will blow you away, and Episode 48 will make you cry--unless you are completely soulless, that is.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:55 pm

*is completely soulless, though still found episode 48 to be the best in the series anyway*

Anemone was my favorite character in E7, I think.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm

Moetan subbed, added to my list.

hooray for summer season.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:24 pm

I've only seen a few episodes of E7, but aren't Renton and Eureka more or less like more well-adjusted/balanced versions Shinji and Rei (that fall in love this time around... ^^; ), or am I just tripping?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 pm

If you took all the most boring parts of Eva, then made the concept even more absurd (have a giant robot that surfs in the air!), and finally removed the plot and interesting bits, you would have E7.

Please don't kill me.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:34 pm

BrikHaus wrote:If you took all the most boring parts of Eva, then made the concept even more absurd (have a giant robot that surfs in the air!), and finally removed the plot and interesting bits, you would have E7.

Please don't kill me.

I wont kill you. That's why I've got ferrets.

I'm guessing you haven't seen past the first 5 episodes or so?

BTW: Renton and Eureka are so not well-adjusted. It gets pretty bad actually, and Holland being so violently overprotective of her doesn't help. Seriously, though. Anemone is the reason to watch. Anyone who grins maniacally while shooting a giant flaming energy ball of doom at you from point-blank-range while yelling "Melt away, melt away. Your brain's gonna MELT AWAY!" is epic win.

Snowshadow Falcon
Embryo

Postby Snowshadow Falcon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:48 pm

In my opinion it's pretty funny how you can track Eureka's attitude and emotions through th state of her hair. I'd say this series is similar to NGE in having a bizzare ending, except this one is bizzare because it is the most ridiculously corny thing I have ever seen.
This signature is currently undergoing maintenance...Check back for updates in the near future!

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby flatulant » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Re-watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:39 pm

BrikHaus wrote:If you took all the most boring parts of Eva, then made the concept even more absurd (have a giant robot that surfs in the air!), and finally removed the plot and interesting bits, you would have E7.

Please don't kill me.

That's basically what I got out of watching the series. I may have had a little animosity towards it because I first saw it on Adult Swim, maybe the first 3 or 4 episodes, and developed a great disdain for the dub, before grabbing the 50 episodes off the internet. The ending seemed like it was something epic but by that point I wasn't interested at all and just watched it so I can get to the end. I'm also not a big fan of long series.

flatulant wrote:Re-watching Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan

In preparation for the 2nd season due this August?

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

Postby Opteron-O3 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:31 am

Speaking of what Anime to watch... I´m surprised to see a lot of Eva fans here in Mexico (vacation ftw!)
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:21 pm

While the forums were down, Code-E and Nanatsuiro Drops got subbed, these are now in my queue.

Also, got tired of waiting for new episodes for the shows I'm watching to get subbed so i decided to look for something obscure to watch. Watched the first episode of Nanami-chan and it looks pretty good.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Rommel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:53 pm

Opteron-O3 wrote:Speaking of what Anime to watch... I´m surprised to see a lot of Eva fans here in Mexico (vacation ftw!)

I basically already answered this:

Asuka + speaking spanish with a hot german accent = MASSIVE WIN.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:02 pm

Rommel wrote:MASSIVE WIN.

Is this on the ADV dubs?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Whatever happens in 𝄆, we will always have the original Neon Nova Exceed!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:34 pm

Re-watching Boogiepop Phantom... Really interesting one. I think the animation is rather drab, but the bizarre style, complex interlocking narrative, and just plain weirdness kinda draws me to it again.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby TriLink » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Just finished watching the masterpiece know as Diebuster yesterday. God that ruled. Next I plan on watching Texhnolyze, because some jerk in the recommendations' thread said it was good. :wink:
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:47 pm

TriLink12 wrote:Next I plan on watching Texhnolyze, because some jerk in the recommendations' thread said it was good. :wink:
Whoever could that have been? :)

It's not everyone's cup of tea: Slow with somewhat unlikable characters, but complex and utterly brilliant. I recommend you take it in slow (only a few ep. a day).
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Having caught Paprika at the film festival, I'm finally getting around to watching Paranoia Agent. 4eps in and you can tell that they are the same person's work.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Whatever happens in 𝄆, we will always have the original Neon Nova Exceed!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Paprika reminded me a LOT of Paranoia Agent, those two are a lot more similar than other Satoshi Kon works, such as Perfect Blue, especially on a thematic level.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

Postby Omegagouki » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:48 pm

Aaaand while the board was down, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann bagged another victim. :lol: Only up to Episode 3 thus far, though... Ah well.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:08 pm

I haven't really been watching anime recently, because of some bandwidth issues, but I've been watching an episode of Higurashi here and there every once and a while, that show is amazing.

Gonna have to go pick up Gurren Lagann again at some point too.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Return to “Old Stickies”