Trailer

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
JP
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:Just a stupid question here from an idiot. I understand the basic idea behind the term "CGI" but what is it? Is it the utilization of 3D models or is it an umbrella term for everything created with the aid of a computer?

And for me, using CGI in REbuild isn't something I'm really against due to the sheer amount of military equipment, vehicles, and mechanical things involved. I just don't want it to be overdone.

Computer Generated Imagry/ Computer Graphics involves both 3d models as well as 2d art. All of it involves the aid of a computer though. The plus side, at least for 2d stuff, is everything usually looks a lot crisper, but it sometimes loses the "detail" of handdrawn animation. It's really a prefence imo, both look great.
The pregnancy is now absolute.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:52 pm

Actually, Brik, the Evas aren't CG. That suprised me, but I think it was the better decision.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:04 pm

Really? They look pretty CG-tastic when Eva-01 is on the lift, and when we are given the close-up of the prog knife. But you know more about this kind of thing than I do, so I'll have to take your word for it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:10 pm

JP wrote:The plus side, at least for 2d stuff, is everything usually looks a lot crisper, but it sometimes loses the "detail" of handdrawn animation. It's really a prefence imo, both look great.

I don't think anything is animated via hand drawn these days, anime studios have been moving to animating on computers since Fuji stopped making the cells in 2001 or so. It's possible that some things are still hand drawn, then scanned into a computer to be touched up, inked, etc.

CG is a blanket term for a field of graphics generated on a computer. CGI is an application of that field. But people commonly misuse them to the point of it becoming household.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:13 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Really? They look pretty CG-tastic when Eva-01 is on the lift, and when we are given the close-up of the prog knife. But you know more about this kind of thing than I do, so I'll have to take your word for it.

It's sometimes harder to tell with still frames (in fact, cell shaded still frames can often look identical to hand-drawn stills), but when something is actually moving, it's usually not that difficult to tell. CG animation is more perfect than any human can make it, hence its different look. Human-drawn animation always has slight jumps in the outlines, slight changes in the proportions, etc. Human creations are flawed; it's unavoidable.

Jobhug
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jobhug » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:38 pm

Szmitten wrote:Here's a Hi-Res download:

[url]http://stage6.divx.com/user/killte/video/1413197/Evangelion-new-movie-preview[/url]

I SPEEEEELED MY DREENK

AKA so very sold on the visuals

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Heh, this goes to show just how crappy the previously seen recording was. Ramiel's perfectly okay (And looking gorgeous!), Shamshel seems to fall flat after being killed (Offscreen: why else are his tentacles just sticking in Eva-01?) and Shinji isn't in black LCL at all!

On the flip side, why does Tokyo-3 rising seem somewhat less spectacular in high-res? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, the Evas look better than ever.

And hey...what's with the rainbows? Sachi's self-destruct X-blast is now red, and there's a rainbow going up with it! The same is seen with static Eva-01 with Shamshel's tentacles sticking in it. Does a rainbow mean an Angel is killed?

The rainbow: A symbol that a great flood shall never happen again. Garden of Eden symbolism. What exactly is rebuild aiming at?

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm

^ It's God's bow, who do you think he will shoot? :P

Black LCL? It looks more like the semi psychedelic activation images to me, especially how it begins fading to white just before it cuts out (Good trailer is Good) You know when it goes all Zebra patterend and such?

EVA Prototype Positron Rifle MKII: Now with 300% More Heat Haze!

I'm back By the way.
Last edited by Katayoku no Tenshi on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Toonces
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonces » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:51 pm

UrsusArctos wrote:On the flip side, why does Tokyo-3 rising seem somewhat less spectacular in high-res? Maybe it's just me. Anyway, the Evas look better than ever.

Yeah, I dunno, I was thinking the same exact thing.

The trailer is still gorgeous, just that part looks a little funny.
Long-time lurker

machinamar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby machinamar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:00 pm

I guess the LCL isn't black. Too bad. D: I also agree, Tokyo•3 doesn't look as good as it did in the darkened bootleg trailer, but it's still nice.

Did anyone else notice something strange about the vocals in the hi•res trailer? Utada Hikaru seems to be singing in almost a different key in the new version -- in any case, there's definitely a big change in the vocals that can't really be explained by just quality difference alone.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:38 pm

machinamar wrote:Tokyo•3 doesn't look as good as it did in the darkened bootleg trailer, but it's still nice.

Should we put this off to the Batman effect, where the city doesn't look as cool as it could if it were dark?

Anyway, really nice find, who said that Friday the 13ths were unlucky.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

My thoughts...

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:44 pm

Sho almost looks like a zombie the way she's walking around 01:07. And Misato and Sachiel definitely look the best in my opinion.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

PsyBear
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PsyBear » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:52 pm

very nice trailer, if you want to download directly the video, just do right click on the following link and then save the destination

http://divx-864.vo.llnwd.net/stage6vid/1413197.divx

If the story is good as this trailer, it's gonna be a really good movie... lol

See Ya!
PsyBear

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:56 pm

machinamar wrote:Did anyone else notice something strange about the vocals in the hi•res trailer? Utada Hikaru seems to be singing in almost a different key in the new version -- in any case, there's definitely a big change in the vocals that can't really be explained by just quality difference alone.

Utada's singing it in two different voices, all right. That second voice of hers comes through either the left or the right audio channel, comes and goes. It was wierd.

The 'zombie' description fits Sho's walking. She's either a little woozy from Sachiel's self-destruction, or that's the way she prefers walking. Or maybe the heat haze from the blast is distorting everything.

Jobhug
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jobhug » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:13 pm

Man, when that thing fires it's going to be EPIC

machinamar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby machinamar » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:14 pm

>Should we put this off to the Batman effect, where the city doesn't look as cool as it could if it were dark?
Pretty much. :3

>The 'zombie' description fits Sho's walking. She's either a little woozy from Sachiel's self-destruction, or that's the way she prefers walking.
Personally, that's my favorite part of the trailer: Sho emerging from the destruction, stepping forward like a limp marionette, walking in time with the the strains of violin strings crying in the foreground. Gorgeous. It really evokes a mess of emotions.

AuthenticM
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AuthenticM » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:45 pm

Have you guys noticed how there are so much more people in Tokyo-3? Check at 0:30.
In my case, I refuse to go easy on the ignorant, regardless of degree. Hitler was ignorant. Joshua C. Whatshisface is ignorant. To me, they're in the same category of ignorant and stupid people who should have been left in some isolated corner of the world where they couldn't bother anyone. --The Eva Monkey

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:50 pm

Have you guys noticed how there are so much more people in Tokyo-3? Check at 0:30.

We are not alone indeed. I couldn't let it slide. :lol: In the original series, the city looked really deserted which helped so how lonely everyone was when they walked on the streets. Maybe Gainax is doing the opposite.

Katayoku no Tenshi
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Katayoku no Tenshi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:55 pm

^ Anno feels better now he has all that money ...and you know being married and such. :lol:

Perhaps they felt a slowly emptying city would be more effective than an empty city? I mean what reason did they have to leave before Sachiel appeared anyway?
+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:10 am

The Goose wrote:

We are not alone indeed. I couldn't let it slide. :lol: In the original series, the city looked really deserted which helped so how lonely everyone was when they walked on the streets. Maybe Gainax is doing the opposite.

I think it still seemed pretty lonely in EoE when Shinji is there with the huge crowd of people walking past him.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”