Stuff that you would like to see in Evangelion 3.0+1.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Stuff that you would like to see in 3+1

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 08, 2017 5:01 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:That is a curious design choice. Not only is it an unpresidented choice in this series, but it's a choice that lengthens the animation process. It would be easier to animated ATFs breaking or weaking like they did before, but this was a deliberate choice to be different.

Not sure if the CGI's to blame, though. If the choice is that deliberate, it would have been accomplished even with traditional animation.

Well, my main point was that it stands out -- it's "bad" because it's obvious. But since it's clearly deliberate the only conclusion is that it's meant to look like that, which is why I'm left puzzled about the whole thing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon May 08, 2017 8:05 pm

^ If i'm thinking of the right scene, isn't that because the mark 04s were being pulled from their protective "cocoon" and that's why it looked like dozens of individual hexagonal tiles?? So my guess it was intentional to show them being pulled out.

Amitch91
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Amitch91 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:56 am

I'd like to see an explanation/reveal of what Asuka's glowing eye/ strength to crack the glass in 3.0 is (i have seen a few theories on here that could be good guesses)

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Thu May 11, 2017 4:40 am

View Original PostSettie wrote:^ If i'm thinking of the right scene, isn't that because the mark 04s were being pulled from their protective "cocoon" and that's why it looked like dozens of individual hexagonal tiles?? So my guess it was intentional to show them being pulled out.

If im getting what Bagheera is trying to say, its not about them being pulled out. I got that visual, but the way they chose to visualize it seemed bland and cheap to me. So the the scene succeeded in showing what is happening (pulling the mk 04's from underneath some kind of veil), but I too found it a weird design choice. Would have expected a more AT-kind of thing (transparant, colorful, looks like a barrier etc) but its... dark colored weird tiles (maybe its supposed to look like the exact opposite of AT fields ..)? Same for the cubes at the seal on Dogma.

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sat May 13, 2017 9:18 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Most of the things I want are already been said here but still:

- Some sequence in the desert. I don't want them right at the start, they could be flashback or dream sequences. There's no need to have them actually talking, especially Shinji, but they can play a lot with eye contact, tone, imagery. Continue on the route started at the end of 3.0 with Asuka taking Shinji by the end and then leaving only one trail on the sand. Stuff like that. Even a simple night scene in front of a fire with Shinji sleeping, Asuka watching him and Rei watching Asuka asking some generic but at the same time striking question like "what is a friend (love)?"/"why are pushing him this far?". I don't even need an answer since I'm pretty sure Rebuilds will not solve most of the questions its raises.

I strongly second this. In my opinion, though, this could account for a sizable chunk of the film. (Not the majority, of course, as that would be monotonous.) I would especially enjoy more attention given to Rei Q; her character development in 3.33 was (in my opinion) anemic and did her little justice.
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 am

I've noticed a lot of people concerned with 3.0+1.0 featuring yet another Impact event during the third act which may or may not be averted. It seems people are concerned that this will be repetitive of the last two movies.

How about instead of Final Impact occurring toward the end of the film, it's flat out initiated during the first act, and the entire second act of the movie can be some trippy Instrumentality sequence drama, which would resolve around the time of the third act, leading into the climax of Shinji breaking free of Instrumentality AND doing something further (and hopefully epic) such as facing his father, or coming to terms with himself and the others at Wille, as well as letting go of Eva.

I dunno. Just a thought.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri May 26, 2017 11:46 am

^

Ever since I saw this (I know that it's probably either discarted material from Q or Shin Eva and it's no real proof of anything) I've been thinking that Final Impact may be involving stuff much bigger than Evangelion 13 or a bunch of mass producted Evas. Maybe it will be the whole black moon that will be used to open an enormous Door of Guf, similar to the one over Antarctica in 2.0 (actually I'm not so sure of it being bigger than the two we see during N3I or 4I, but it does seem much bigger to me) or even wider, and WILLE will be powerless even with the Wunder, leaving for plot reasons Shinji as the only one that can stop it or revertit or whatever.

I can't see Anno reusing Eva 13 to restart yet again the same impact, and I also can't see the impact happening mid movie or earlier like it did in EoE because the rebuilds up until now used quick but rich characters interactions to move the plot forward instead of long, deep introspections, and I'm sure that they want to put some great action scenese in the movie.
I also have the feeling that Mari will be a key player in getting Shinji out his despair.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 pm

In all honesty, i'd like to see 3+1 conclude the story, and end the need for revisions or sequels. I am aware that it would be dangerous to assert such quality to it immediately as it is very unlikely that it would satisfy everyone, yet it would feel good, at least to me. After all, it has been over 20 years...
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 26, 2017 2:07 pm

I will be astonished if Anno revisits the Instrumentality well for Final. He's already done it twice, and the theme of the ENT series is less the perils of miscommunication than it is the journey of Shinji Ikari. Would an Instrumentality sequence really help illustrate that at this point? I don't think it would.

If I had to guess, I think the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo will be resolved with a largely physical event, a restorative one that rejuvenates the Earth (even if it doesn't truly undo Second or Third Impacts). Shinji, meanwhile, be resolving his issues face to face, making peace with his friends and family in ways the Shinji Ikari of NGE never could.

Of course, I could be way off-base. I wonder what else Anno could do that would be completely unexpected, and yet entirely in keeping with the themes of the ENT series?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 26, 2017 2:14 pm

At this point, I'd settle for this...
SPOILER: Show
Or this...
SPOILER: Show

Basically, Shinji needs a hug.

Or, you know, Rei wakes up and it's all just been a dream, like that season of Dallas, or the entire series Newhart or St. Elsewhere.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 26, 2017 2:25 pm

View Original PostSnow wrote:In all honesty, I'd like to see 3+1 conclude the story, ... After all, it has been over 20 years...

But that story was finished, in essence.

Bagheera wrote:If I had to guess, I think the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo will be resolved with a largely physical event, a restorative one that rejuvenates the Earth

Well, Shinji already went for that, and missed... So I think it will be done very differently.

One way of looking at things is to try to decide which unexplained things have been given enough airing to require an explanation to be offered or to require to get an outing. In my mind, the failures of infinity are in the "explanation" category; also the Wunder. Nerv's Evangelion manufacturing plant falls into the "will be used" category; maybe also the coffins on the moon. That's aside from things like: what really (in this continuity) is an angel; was really is an impact; are Shinji and Asuka even human any more (answer has to be "yes", of course)? And the big one in this continuity: what the heck is Kaworu's deal?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 26, 2017 2:36 pm

For Asuka to be fleshed out as her lack of fleshing out has irritated me a lot though out these films as I have no idea why she behaves the way she does or how her childhood is different to Soryu's.

Please give Rei Q back her memories and personality from the 2.22 film.

Tell me who Mari really is and what her origins are.

Show some form of flashback about the war with the angels.

Have the all of the characters reconcile somehow.

No more Shinji hate the guy suffered enough in 3.33.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 26, 2017 3:13 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, Shinji already went for that, and missed... So I think it will be done very differently.

I don't think it will be done via an Impact event, or at least not one involving Shinji. I think it will be a different sort of event that gives the world a chance going forward.

One way of looking at things is to try to decide which unexplained things have been given enough airing to require an explanation to be offered or to require to get an outing. In my mind, the failures of infinity are in the "explanation" category; also the Wunder. Nerv's Evangelion manufacturing plant falls into the "will be used" category; maybe also the coffins on the moon. That's aside from things like: what really (in this continuity) is an angel; was really is an impact; are Shinji and Asuka even human any more (answer has to be "yes", of course)? And the big one in this continuity: what the heck is Kaworu's deal?

Several of those strike me as curiosities rather than things that must be addressed. Some of it will no doubt be addressed as a practical matter (we'll probably get something with the Ayanami series, for example, and thus Lilith/FoIs/etc), but as to the rest I think we'll be left on our own just as we were with EoE.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon May 29, 2017 9:25 am

As I think I've answered in this thread before, I'll update my answer.

"Stuff that you would like to see in 3+1.."

I'd like to see 3+1. I trust Anno knows what he's doing, and at this point I've been pull a bit from the fandom. So in frankly I'd just like to see the movie, and maybe a trailer sometime this year.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon May 29, 2017 10:21 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:For Asuka to be fleshed out as her lack of fleshing out has irritated me a lot though out these films as I have no idea why she behaves the way she does or how her childhood is different to Soryu's.

I think she's flashed out enough in her relationship with Shinji and her "new" character in Q, but I'd like to see how integreted she's within Wille: in the second movie she had no connection to any character other than Shinji, it didn't end well for her and she seemed to have developed a really strong defense mechanism (that crumbled as soon as Shinji woke up).
What I want to see is her having an emotional breakdown and see what she's like behind the mask.

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Please give Rei Q back her memories and personality from the 2.22 film.

Isn't the absence of previous memories the point of Rei Q and the main difference between her and Rei III from NGE? I would like the movie to go to the opposite direction and have the new Rei be just someone else.
Nonetheless being the story Shinji-centric I also expect her to have a connection to Shinji similar to the one Rei III had, she already "betrayed" Gendo for him at the end of Q in a sense.

I agree on the rest.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:51 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think she's flashed out enough in her relationship with Shinji and her "new" character in Q, but I'd like to see how integreted she's within Wille: in the second movie she had no connection to any character other than Shinji, it didn't end well for her and she seemed to have developed a really strong defense mechanism (that crumbled as soon as Shinji woke up).
What I want to see is her having an emotional breakdown and see what she's like behind the mask.

Though I understand where your coming from in my view though I think childhood is an important element to Asuka's characters regardless of universe. Like I wanted to know what the difference was between the doll in the manga and series and the puppet in rebuild which she talks to. Also is she as neglected as the original Asuka's in terms of childhood or did some one betray her hence why she has serious trust issues. There little things I know but in the original series these small things really carried the characters even in miner flash backs.

Also added note I want to see her left eye under that patch...

Isn't the absence of previous memories the point of Rei Q and the main difference between her and Rei III from NGE? I would like the movie to go to the opposite direction and have the new Rei be just someone else. Nonetheless being the story Shinji-centric I also expect her to have a connection to Shinji similar to the one Rei III had, she already "betrayed" Gendo for him at the end of Q in a sense.

Yeah I get that Q isn't meant to have all of the foma Rei's memories but in 3.33 its hinting that she is starting to remember as in the tank scene when she recharging if you look closely the other Rei appears to her dressed in school clothes then vanishes in a blast of bubbles. Its a real blink and you'll miss it moment and its only after Kaworu takes the Walkman away to fix it for Shinji which hints that she may have been hiding in there. Its just my theory but I think in the tank scene the two Rei's have merged hence why Rei Q starts reacting and having emotion.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:54 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Though I understand where your coming from in my view though I think childhood is an important element to Asuka's characters regardless of universe. Like I wanted to know what the difference was between the doll in the manga and series and the puppet in rebuild which she talks to. Also is she as neglected as the original Asuka's in terms of childhood or did some one betray her hence why she has serious trust issues. There little things I know but in the original series these small things really carried the characters even in miner flash backs.

Also added note I want to see her left eye under that patch...

Personally I'd like to see Asuka's past told to Shinji by Mari at some point in the movie, I think it has potential as a scene in the movie. Maybe Asuka is in a desperate fight and Shinji could do something about it but he feel useless or similar. I'm not a huge fan of large flashbacks at the end of the story so I hope Anno avoids them.

Regarding Asuka's angelic eye not only I want to see what is like but I also hope it becomes a crucial parts for Gendo's plan. As far as I know it's one of the last angelic active thing left to use.

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Yeah I get that Q isn't meant to have all of the foma Rei's memories but in 3.33 its hinting that she is starting to remember as in the tank scene when she recharging if you look closely the other Rei appears to her dressed in school clothes then vanishes in a blast of bubbles. Its a real blink and you'll miss it moment and its only after Kaworu takes the Walkman away to fix it for Shinji which hints that she may have been hiding in there. Its just my theory but I think in the tank scene the two Rei's have merged hence why Rei Q starts reacting and having emotion.

I think that phantom Rei was just the reminder in the classic "setup, reminder, payoff" scheme.
We already had the set up at the very beginning of 1.0 when Shinji saw a Rei in the middle of the street, then we had a reminder in that scene with Rei Q in 3.0 and we are probably gonna get a payoff in Final. I doubt it's going to be a payoff in the classic sense but I'm sure there will be another mysterious Rei appearance.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 am

I would certainly like to see Rei still playing an important role in the final impact, like in EoE (quantum Rei), these mysterious sightings seem to hint towards that.

Or not, Anno could just leave it alone and just keep it as a mysterious but unexplained thing about Rei, so that we can keep on fanwanking about sequel theories and all that.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Was inspired by a post of Freaky's in the Eva pictures thread to post here:

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:It feels weird to me to see Shinji being wept upon by various Q iterations of Misato and Asuka. Does it feel weird to anyone else? Not weird in the sense that "It'll ever happen," but more like these fan works are a result of Eva fans projecting themselves upon Shinji (or otherwise feeling sympathy for him) and wanting to see all of the characters express remorse over his treatment in 3.33.

I've technically been around since the days when the majority of fans still hated Shinji for being a whiney brat. This shift in attitudes towards Shinji by the fan base is strikingly different from the attitudes back when NGE was Anno's only Eva creation. This fascinates me.

Honestly, I think the most satisfying resolution I expect from Shinji and Misato is for them to smile together. Have them see eye to eye, and instead of breaking down in emotion, simply convey an understanding between them, and promise the potential for bridges to be rebuilt. They've both made mistakes and they know it, we know it; no need to waste time being heavy handed with guilty emotions. Shinji and Misato have not had a real conversation since 2.0, when Shinji chooses to run away again after Bardiel. In an attempt to reach through to Shinji, Misato expresses her guilt for using him to get revenge on the Angels, and reaches out for his hand. He pulls away, and gravely states that he'll never smile again. The scene demonstrates the disconnect that's grown between them. Of course, Shinji does end up smiling again with Kaworu in 3.0, but I think it would be great to way to bring closure to Misato and Shinji's arc as well, symbolizing communication between them once more.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:21 pm

It would be nice if Misato and Shinji could forgive each other for everything that's gone on, eve if its just a smile at the end of the movie before the credits roll. And clearly, the sympathy towards Shinji comes from us watching that know everything (the plot/Anno has shown us that is), that Shinji did not mean to cause any of this, and only wanted to help Rei, and who was used a a pawn knowing his connection to Rei would cause an impact. Everyone's had a situation where "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" so they (myself included) can entirely sympathize with being blamed for something that happened when all they were trying to do was make things better.It makes Shinji appear more human to make a mistake like this, whereas in EoE Shinji said "fuck the world" and started Third Impact. So in the 15 years between EoE and Q, Shinji's motives have gone from being an actual selfish prick to just trying to save a friend, making him less of a whiny child and more of your typical mecha anime hero.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”