Best boy

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Best boy

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

I was always under the impression that "best girl" was in reference to their age, which is why the usual candidates were Rei, Asuka, Hikari, and now Mari, while the mature women like Misato, Ritsuko, and Maya were rarly considered.

If that is the case, then the Best Boy for me would have to be either Kaworu or Kensuke. You can't fault the initiative of either of those guys. If age isn't a factor, then Kaji is Best Boy, hands down.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I was always under the impression that "best girl" was in reference to their age, which is why the usual candidates were Rei, Asuka, Hikari, and now Mari, while the mature women like Misato, Ritsuko, and Maya were rarly considered.

I'd say it refers more to the sex of the character, not the age. And i will disagree with mature women not being considered, Misato is quite a popular one.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If that is the case, then the Best Boy for me would have to be either Kaworu or Kensuke. You can't fault the initiative of either of those guys. If age isn't a factor, then Kaji is Best Boy, hands down.

You don't see Kensuke getting much attention on the forums. Interesting opinion nonetheless.
Fuyutsuki did nothing wrong.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:48 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:As much as I despise the character, Kaworu is obviously best boy. I'm surprised no one else has brought him up yet. Given the Christ associations and such, he's the closest thing there is to "perfect". Wasn't the original intention of the character supposed to be everything that Shinji was striven to be, or something along those lines?

Kaworu is an Angel designed to obliterate Shinji's psyche, a task he performs with great efficacy. He is "best boy" if your criterion is weaponized affection; by any other standard he's kinda pants.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 pm

Shinji is best boy. Forever and for always.

Followed closely by that one NERV Tech with a big bushy mustache in the far far background of some control room shots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:33 pm

View Original PostSnow wrote:I'd say it refers more to the sex of the character, not the age. And i will disagree with mature women not being considered, Misato is quite a popular one.

I've always heard her considered in more "Waifu" conversations, but that would suggest that I can actually make a clear distinction between the two.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Followed closely by that one NERV Tech with a big bushy mustache in the far far background of some control room shots.

I know who you're talking about! I've always called him "Anime Burt Reynolds." He shows up in both NGE Episodes 1-2 and Eva 1.11. His presence amuses me every time I see him.

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 pm

And i thought ''best girl'' was your waifu of preference. I have lived all these years in obscurity, it seems..

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm

To be fair, I might be overthinking the terminology behind "waifu" and "best girl," but overthinking things tends to be EvaGeeks's default setting. (Or, it's at least MY default setting.)

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:26 pm

I would argue so. One of the main problems in the internet is the over-analyzation of simple things, that were created as stupid jokes.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:44 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Kaworu is an Angel designed to obliterate Shinji's psyche, a task he performs with great efficacy. He is "best boy" if your criterion is weaponized affection;

Yes. Everyone is using their own arbitrary standards for best boy, and I would argue that each of the male characters is "best boy" in some category or another. I stand by bishounen Jesus.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:06 am

The "Kaworu = Jesus" meme has gotten a lot of mileage, but I would argue that he is the Anti-Christ instead. You even have the origin reversed, for goodness sake!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Snow
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Snow » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:43 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Yes. Everyone is using their own arbitrary standards for best boy, and I would argue that each of the male characters is "best boy" in some category or another. I stand by bishounen Jesus.

In what category do the SEELE council members go apart from Lorenz?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 am

The funny thing about the Kaworu = Jesus meme is that Shinji's the one who saved humanity in the end. He's also the one who died and came back to life. And heck, he even has the stigmata! The only way to make him a better fit for the role would be to make him a Jewish carpenter.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Bagheera wrote:The funny thing about the Kaworu = Jesus meme is that Shinji's the one who saved humanity in the end. He's also the one who died and came back to life. And heck, he even has the stigmata! The only way to make him a better fit for the role would be to make him a Jewish carpenter.

Nice call on the stigmata... but did Shinji die for our sins?

Also, we should give Shinji a Jesus beard and sandals and have him wander be in a desert for 40 days... oh my god, Shinji in rebuild is Jesus! Well, if you substitute red wasteland for desert you have it. And I would have to say Kaworu is more like Lucifer, the Fallen Archangel, becoming the harbinger of evil and all that.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:32 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Nice call on the stigmata... but did Shinji die for our sins?

:cringe: Um......with THAT analogy......I hope that's not foreshadowing something. :sniffle:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 pm

xanderkh wrote::cringe: Um......with THAT analogy......I hope that's not foreshadowing something. :sniffle:

Well, Shinji has plenty of his own sins to die for, like almost ending the world twice with his poor and hasty decision making. Maybe his death fixes the world or some such... we just have to wait and find out.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Which continuity is the current tangent supposed to be in...?

Assuming the original, where Kaworu is totes the Anti-Christ, I would submit that Rei/Lilith (they're the same again by the end, so) is the primary "Jesus". Shinji is more like... a proxy of a proxy.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 am

Reichu wrote:Which continuity is the current tangent supposed to be in...?

I was referencing the rebuilds directly with my most recent statement.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:42 am

Persuading Shinji in Q that he knows how to put things right is a bit like the role of the serpent in Eden.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 pm

While Kaworu is surely manipulating Shinji during the course of the movie I won't say that he had malicious intents or that he wasn't acting in Shinji's best interests, or at least what he believed were his best interests (before realising that he was played by Gendo).
Rebuild Kaworu may be a mysterious, vague, godlike creature but he's still flawed as every other human being and that's the beauty of his character.
However, I won't say that he's "best boy", and I tend to ignore NGE Kaworus because he has so little screentime that he's more a plot device than a real character in the story, because he lacks what I feel is the core of Evangelion: the will to fight and continuing to exist.

Magneto
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Magneto » Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 am

Kensuke: Many see him just as a '' military-otaku '' I think he's the most mature among the kids in this show.

I liked Gendo before, but this thing of joining with Yui made him weak, I really liked the "evil genius" style and with more similar motivations than Seele's.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Aoba deserved more character building, yeah.

Aoba is interesting so he is also the only one who has no emotional manifestation at the level of other characters.
Now known as "The Flying Fortress"

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”