Official Eva FINAL updated NTV Preview thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Official Eva FINAL updated NTV Preview thread

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:13 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:True entitlement won't start in the fanbase until after Final comes out and individuals watch and hate Final for it not conforming to their preconceived notion.

Very few movies that people wait forever for rarely live up to the hype. The sequel to Independence Day was 20 years in the waiting, but it honestly wasn't that great. Same thing with many Star Wars fans and the prequel trilogy (and in some cases the sequel trilogy), a lot of hype, and a lot of disappointment. Ghostbusters reboot, same issue.

The hype and speculation are what ruin a very anticipated movie. All the lofty expectations in people's heads get ruined when the movie can't live up to high bar set for it.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 pm

I'd say it's the culture of hype that is the problem. You have the option of not participating, which will remove most or all of the noted issues.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:15 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'd say it's the culture of hype that is the problem. You have the option of not participating, which will remove most or all of the noted issues.

Yep, look at me, the phantom hype slides on the feathers of my patience.

Or something like that.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Reichu wrote:I'd say it's the culture of hype that is the problem. You have the option of not participating, which will remove most or all of the noted issues.

Of course its the culture, people love speculating about new movies, or new anything for that matter. And then when the discussions get going everyone says this is what we're looking forward to, which always leads to some kind of disappointment. It's human nature to get excited about things we enjoy, its just a shame it tends to lead to disappointment.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:05 pm

I don't see why looking forward to something must inevitably result in being disappointed that it isn't (exactly) what you imagined. Since you're aware of the dynamic, that leaves you in a much better position to take charge.

I would suppose, offhand, that the "hype-Hype-HYPE-disappointment" conga line is something you grow out, deliberately train yourself out of, or both. I remember, as recently as 2.0's release (over six years ago), still being somewhat susceptible to it. After that, not so much. Time feels like it flies by so quickly that trying to keep up with all the shiny new stuff is without purpose. I'm behind on everything as it is, and those new things will just be part of the backlog in a few blinks. "Newness" is a sheen that evaporates so quickly that it's hard to get excited about it anymore. It's basically just cynical capitalist culture wanting me to be excited, anyway. (Social media buzz, for example -- free advertisements!) Taking things at my own pace and exploring the vast and ever-expanding library of human creativity -- nearly all of which is "new" to me, regardless of when it came out -- is much more rewarding than impatiently looking toward the future for the next novelty to promptly gobble up and shit out.

(Not saying that those impatient with Anno are going to treat 3+1 Repeat Sign as cinematic junk food, but the "urgh, hurry it up and give it to me, asshole! you're losing points by making me wait!" attitude almost certainly has something to do with being nursed into an addict mind set by the mass media market, analogous to the food industry's "put refined sugar in fucking everything and watch the money roll in" approach.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:20 pm

^ Well for me, I have cut my expectations down from what I want to see in the movie (as there really isn't any need to worry about that, we'll get what we get, good bad or indifferent), to just hoping it will be out before 2019 in Japan so that we can hopefully see it before the 25th anniversary of EVA here in the US with the English dub.

As to your point, we do have a society built on instant gratification, which is like an addict's mindset, so you're right on point with that. And with the internet involved (or entwined) with marketing (like watching youtube you get commercials...), there is no escaping it.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:21 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Well for me, I have cut my expectations down from what I want to see in the movie.

Me too, mostly because there are too many loose ends that it will be impossible to cover them all in a single, reasonably-long film...

For now, I'm happy with the fact that I could finish my Bachelors AND Master's degree before Anno could finish those films ...

In any case, we have waited for very long... What does it matter a few more months-oy year(s)?
It's not like there's a lack of thing to keep us entertained while we wait...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm

SEELE-01 wrote:Me too, mostly because there are too many loose ends that it will be impossible to cover them all in a single, reasonably-long film...

For now, I'm happy with the fact that I could finish my Bachelors AND Master's degree before Anno could finish those films ...

That's an impressive feat, one I have also done, and its no simple task. Congrats on that accomplishment ^_^

Also, I'm still betting I can finish my fic before Final actually comes out... something I do actually hope happens, I'd at least enjoy the irony.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm

^Yeah, I'm hoping I can finish my fic before then as well. To be honest, I have the complete opposite problem compared to many of you here. I find it difficult for me when it seems that everyone has seen the movie before its US release, either through having the Japanese bluray or downloaded it through various sources on the internet, which I don't have the knowledge or the expertise to do myself, and I know it's going to happen again when the final film is released. When we start getting trailers and a release date, you guys may be getting hyped, but I'll probably be feeling dread.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 am

Heh, I was helping to translate 3.0 on Github when all we had was a full-length audio recording. Wouldn't mind getting to do that sort of thing again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:54 pm

So if End Of Evangelion starts airing at 11:45pm in Japan the film should end April 1st at 1:10am (ish). Which means I on the East Coast of the US need to be online at noon tomorrow so I can get the non-announcement out early and still enjoy the rest of my day. Okay. I can do that. My twitter feed will be on and alert.

Unless if NHK does ads to stretch EOE out to fill a 2 hour block? In which case 12:45pm. How do the Japanese handle ads? Do the shows play uninterrupted and it's a large block between programs like in Europe or is sporadically placed through out like in US?

(Honestly I liked doing some quick detective work which is why this post exists more than anything. Just having a little fun.) :D

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:57 pm

According to this PDF I found a while ago on the internet 「新世紀エヴァンゲリオン 劇場版 Air /まごころを、君に」airs at 11:45 PM and ends at 2:15 AM.

According to this more recent update it airs "from 23:45 to 25:11", so it ends at 1:11 AM.

01/04 02:15 JST = 31/03 19:15 CET = 31/03 13:15 EDT

01/04 01:11 JST = 31/03 18:11 CET = 31/03 12:11 EDT

BTW I was trying to keep my hype on check but I failed hard and I found myself more than once a day looking at the date thinking "just X days away from April 1st". :rolleyes:

Kvanu
Adam

Postby Kvanu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:40 am

30 minutes until likely disappointment or a long overdue surprise.
()

Kvanu
Adam

Postby Kvanu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:18 am

Disappointment it is.
()

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:38 am

Perhaps we are a little ahead of ourselves. Business hours open at 8:00a, I don't think they'd make a major announcement just past midnight. Also, its Saturday there, they may not make the announcement until Monday, a business day.

Even with the disappointment, we just need to be patient, Final will come out... eventually.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:59 am

Nothing today as expected, let's see if something happens in the next couple of days.

Kvanu
Adam

Postby Kvanu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Do announcements typically roll out in the PM hours of April 1st, or are they posted overnight for everyone to wake up to in the morning?
()

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:23 pm

Well it has just turned midnight a couple of hours ago in Japan hasn't it? So I don't think we could write today off completely in terms of nothing happening as they might announce something during the day.

Personally I'm not getting my hopes up. I've seen enough people do that for other things when they expect announcements to know not to do that. If it happens it happens, if not then meh. Something will happen eventually.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:01 pm

BALLS
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:49 am

So nothing happened then?

We keep doing this to ourselves in the fandom, setting dates that we could expect 3.0+1.0/4.0/Final news and they receive nothing when the said date comes along. I'm especially guilty of this in the past, my post history would show it.

We are nearing 5 years since the release of 3.0, and 4.0 is still no where in sight. Maybe sometime later this year we'll finally hear something, but then again... maybe not.
One this is for sure, Anno wasn't joking when he said the gap between 3.0 to 4.0 would be 4-6 years.

More recently I haven't been expecting anything with Final to come along, it'll make it the all better when news does start to drop.

I think the one thing I've learned well on this forum is - Don't expect anything, realistically no one but Anno and Khara know about the movie, there isn't any secret information floating around in the void of the internet, and we'll get news when Khara is ready to give it to us.

Do I wish we had news on this movie? Fuck yea I do... who doesn't?

But do we? A bit... "We're working on it, plz be excited."
Hell even that little bit given like 6 months ago is much more than we knew about the movie before hand.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”