[Poll] What episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion do you like and dislike?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: [Poll] What episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion do you like and dislike?

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote: If you ask someone what The End of Evangelion is, they will say "a movie", not "two more episodes of Evangelion that were released to theaters".

*Feature length series finale available in all good theatres near you.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:39 am

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:*Feature length series finale available in all good theatres near you.

I'm kinda hoping Game of Thrones goes this route myself. Seeing the finale on the big screen with dozens of pumped up fans would be EPIC.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:31 am

Episode 14, at least the first half because like NemZ says, clip shows are awful. I also dislike episodes 15 and 20. 15 is where everything in the Evaverse goes to shit and 20 felt too damn much like episode 16.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:59 pm

While Dance etc etc is down there, actually it was episode 3 that I finally voted as worst -- it's an awkward transition from the double episode introduction into the longer story.

At the top, episode 11, where there's a sense that things are coming together, even if it is only briefly so, in the end.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Dislike, hmmm . . . 3 and 4 are tedious as hell, 13's boring, 14 is a clip show, 17 drags, same with 20 . . . I dunno. I'm kinda surprised, but 7 isn't even in my top five. It's an entertaining episode.

As for like, tough call between 1-2, 6, 12, 15, 18, 19, and pretty much everything from 21-on. 22' is the obvious jewel in the crown for me, but 21', 24', and 25-26 are likewise impossibly good. It's hard to narrow it down to a top ten, let alone pick one above all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:41 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:While Dance etc etc is down there, actually it was episode 3 that I finally voted as worst

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Dislike, hmmm . . . 3 and 4 are tedious as hell

"The corpse of an abomination is slumped in the Eva's arms and hangs limply. Powerless, the plates of armor are locked in the last moment of battle, it stands like the carved idol of a demonic religion. Without power, every display goes quiet and the three children are sealed inside the darkness of a blind god. Shinji Ikari's cry of rage has been silenced. Looking about in the dim and moon like light, they can see their pilot's shoulder softly shaking. Just above the hum of the reserve generator, they hear Ikari gently weeping."

For shame, you two. You monsters. (/s)
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 pm

Fucking shivers man.

Novelize the whole series.

Now.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

Better Japanese teenagers than me have tried. The problem is you don't run out of angels before you run out of words for "quivering monstrosity".

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:44 am

Did the poll for ya.

I will say my favorite episode is 16. I've always liked the encounter with Leliel and how Unit 1 bursts out of it at the end of the episode in horror to absolutely everyone but Shinji.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:For shame, you two. You monsters. (/s)

I'm good with it. :thumbsup:
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm

If any of you have input as to why you dislike the following episodes, I would appreciate your input:

Episode 03: The Phone That Doesn't Ring / A Transfer
Episode 13: Angel Invasion / Lilliputian Hitcher
Episode 07: The Human Creation / A Human Work

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I don't have a particular down on 07 like some do; but I can see that it stands apart. It's the only episode that is largely removed from the hothouse of Nerv, and so has a distinctly different feel, which I guess some find irrelevant or distracting. For my part, I like seeing the active side of Misato, which otherwise we see little of until EoE - and even another aspect of Ritsuko.

As for 13, I suppose some people feel cheated that an angel is defeated without the use of an Eva.

03 I'm particularly fond of - I don't see what people would have agin it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:43 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:03 I'm particularly fond of - I don't see what people would have agin it.

Yeah, I was expecting it to be better regarded than episode 4. Nope. People generally dislike episode 3 more.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:56 pm

These are a couple of my own thoughts I've pulled from previous posts regarding 7:

Guy Nacks wrote:Yeah, I think Jet Alone is one of the only episodes whose events they don't reference at all in any memory flashbacks or through any sort of dialog in the rest of the series. It might actually be the only episode of the series that is expendable.

Honestly, if you really were forced to cut one episode, eliminating Jet Alone would probably do the least damage narratively and thematically, regardless of animation quality or camerawork of that particular episode.

Most people in this thread seem to agree that Episode 7 AKA "Jet Alone", while not necessarily deserving of the title "worst" (because there are no jarringly poor episodes overall of Evangelion) does deserve the title of "least necessary".

I don't dislike 13 as it establishes the MAGI and gives a story more focused on the NERV staff dealing with an angel on their own without being able to use an Eva.

The fact that 3 and especially 4 are apparently so disliked is surprising to me. They do a great job fleshing out Shinji's character and his initial relationship with Misato and Touji and Kensuke, as well as his feelings towards NERV in general.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:50 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Yeah, I was expecting it to be better regarded than episode 4. Nope. People generally dislike episode 3 more.

If I voted again I would swap my feelings on 3 and 4, as I do indeed prefer the former. But three is a slow episode and features the most lackluster (and unfortunately designed) Angel of the bunch, so it's hard to get excited about it. It's also the first time we begin to really understand that Shinji is not going to be our standard anime protagonist, and that requires a bit of adjustment even if you ultimately hop on board the train for Awesometown.

As to 13, my main objection to it is the fact that it sidetracks the characters we've been focusing on for many episodes now in favor of exposition, an abstract Angel, and the supporting cast. It does its job, and it's fine for what it is, but I rather prefer episodes that focus on the kids because, well, main cast.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:03 pm

While I understand episodes 3,4,13 are annoying to go through on rewatch I didn't personally dislike them.

The exposition given in 13 is important to a first time viewer. Also 3 and 4... I don't really understand why people dislike those.

Now episode 7, Jet Alone... unimportant to the rest of the show. Manga only mentions it in a passing line. Episode 7 is the filler episode of Evangelion, and that is why I dislike it.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:31 am

> Episode 03: The Phone That Doesn't Ring / A Transfer

As noted above, the awkward gear-shift from the introduction. The one-time-only accumulation of fan-girls for the super-robot pilot, something that went nowhere fast, being one of those awkwardnesses. Going straight to episode 4's "had enough of this shit already" would have actually flowed a lot better, rather than just sending in what in my D&D-ing days I would have termed a "rubbish monster" to do that job. If we can introduce Asuka's firm friendship with Hikari out of the gap between episodes, we could do the same with Shinji and Kensuke when he turns up to find out why Shinji isn't in school -- then we could have widened out the cast in the next episode.

> Episode 13: Angel Invasion / Lilliputian Hitcher

Although this episode does provide a bit of an info-dump, it comes over as the nearest thing to a filler episode, with the one-time no-plugsuit service. Not on my list for "watch a random episode", but I'd still put episode 9 below this one.

> Episode 07: The Human Creation / A Human Work

Watching this, as I did, as a conspiracy theory series with some giant-robot action in the foreground, I had no complaints about this episode.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:27 pm

It doesn't surprise me at all that the sort of 'sidestory' episodes that happen between story arcs are generally held as the low points since they advance the story less overall and represent a tonal shift. 13 and 14 rightly get called out here, but I find it interesting that so few people consider 15 to be filler too... no battles, very little plot, mostly just another awkward lull in the action to check in on relationships before the show starts to unravel everything it's built up.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:36 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:If any of you have input as to why you dislike the following episodes, I would appreciate your input:

Episode 03: The Phone That Doesn't Ring / A Transfer
Episode 13: Angel Invasion / Lilliputian Hitcher
Episode 07: The Human Creation / A Human Work

Episode 7 is the episode I voted as the worst (but after a rewatch in the last few days I think episode 24' is my least favorite episode now). It was half a filler: there's is some hint at a much larger cospiration in play that is crucial too but the Jet Alone looks so lame to me. The chase was kinda boring too. It should have been the selling point of the episode but it was the worst part. As a stand alone episode it failed hard.

I didn't vote for Episode 03 and 13 but there are some aspects that I don't like about those episodes.
Episode 03 is totally necessary for the show as it "dumps" on the viewer a lot of context, new characters and a better look at Shinji's mind and it's done very well but it's still just a dump of info. I can see why someone could vote it as one of the worst episodes in NGE. There's not much to reflect on, it's probably one of the episodes that less "challenges" viewers and it doesn't have spectacular fights.

Episode 13 I think it's based on a great idea, the angel and the hacking stuff made the episode really intense but it could also be seen as "some sparkling stuff is stopped by Ritsuko pressing keys fast", and again it's not that exciting in a mecha anime.

I hope it does make sense, I'm sick now and writing about Eva makes me feel a little bit better.
Last edited by Joseki on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:26 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:Episode 7 ... we get to see Asuka flirting and being childish with a clueless Shinji
But Asuka doesn't arrive until episode 8.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”