So does Shinji like Asuka?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:14 am

Protip: Your first stop for NGE fan jargon should be the Commentary Geektionary - http://www.evacommentary.org/appendix/geektionary.html
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:22 pm

Reichu wrote:Asuka wanted action from Shinji as early as #09 -- but didn't get it, of course. As for Shinji...
Yeah, I don't think he had any idea what he really wanted until EoE, when he makes his choice blatantly clear. Of course, that doesn't stop him from trying to "squeeze the very last and dying breath from everything [he's] ever dreamed".

But Shinji only did that because Asuka "promised him the world and that girl just threw his love away, leave [him] like a lonely solitaire with just despair for company, Did [he] think [he'd] find revenge so sweet, make it so [their] hearts would never beat....*above EYED line here*" :shock:

Anyway, bumped this because I wanted to say there were various signs throughout the series that Shinji dug Asuka just like she liked him; though of course both of them were either too scared or proud to admit it... :roll:
You know how Asuka gives him that warm smile in episode 10?

Shinji gives her a similar one in episode 9, (The same episode she tries to get him to literally sleep together with her/spoon/make out, despite having only known him for a week(!)) :

Just one example off the top of my head that I can think of.

Anyway, I initially stumbled across this topic due to a failed search attempt. Anybody know where I can find a thread about why Yui allowed the Dummy Plug System to take over in episode 18? Was she in control at a LITTLE, hence why Touji survived minus his left leg? I have a hard time wrapping my head around that scene. >_<
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:36 pm

I have no idea. Bump this -- best dummy system/plug/whatever thread.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Reichu wrote:Folks, the reason Shinji was running away from Misato by the time EoE starts is because she tried to get into his pants in #23.* I suppose her lack of sympathy at the end of #24 didn't help, either. And then she just left him there by the lakeside all night to mope by himself... and wasn't around to try and stop Shinji from dunking his head in some half-assed suicide attempt.

Asuka wanted action from Shinji as early as #09 -- but didn't get it, of course. As for Shinji... Yeah, I don't think he had any idea what he really wanted until EoE, when he makes his choice blatantly clear. Of course, that doesn't stop him from trying to "squeeze the very last and dying breath from everything [he's] ever dreamed".

* Yes, she really did. A lot of people don't want to believe this, but it's true.

That by the way is the only time in the entire series he pupropesfuley turned down a relationship...he thought Karuow was pulling his chain.
I won.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:16 pm

That by the way is the only time in the entire series he purposefully turned down a relationship...He thought Kaworu was pulling his chain.

More like neither Kaworu or Shinji were interested in each other as possible lovers, Shinji didn't like the thought of his Surrogate Mother trying to jump his bones (despite her "wanting to see herself disgraced/dirtied"), he was freaked out about Rei being a clone of his actual Mom and he was clearly interested in Asuka once she arrived---and vice-versa. ;)

....And I apologize in advance if this somehow comes off as being arrogant, I don't mean it that way at all. >_<;

Thanatos
Embryo

Shinji and Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby Thanatos » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Theres evidence to support claims that both indeed like each other. I think they do in fact. And there were times throughout the series ,were i wished one of them would've attempted to support/comfort the other in their times of need. Like when Asuka suffered through Arael's attacks, and afterwards was a complete wreck; sitting alone "quarantined". Shinji tries to tell her hes glad that she is alright, and she rejects that idea and goes on to say all the things she hates and so on... That was a powerful scene to me, and in my little dream world, Shinji would have walked over the yellow tape, and embraced Asuka. I know it sounds ridiculous, but its how the scene makes me feel. But i don't think it's to selfish of me to wish for one moment between these characters, in which they can find some understanding of themselves through the help of another. Its not that i want a cliche happy ending to occur, but its painful to watch so much of this series.

So yes i do think they both care for each other(to what degree i will leave all of you to debate, though i'm sure its all be argued many times over the years), and i'll stick to my dream world in which they learn to understand one another, and form some sort of relationship. :oops:
"The one who lacks courage to be a hammer, comes off in the role of the anvil." -Oswald Spengler

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Re: So does Shinji like Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:08 pm

Original Post, Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:08 pm wrote:So does Shinji like Asuka? or is it vice versa

liek, wow. almost a three year old thread.

lol SSD referenced spooning. WIN in my book.

Thanatos wrote:That was a powerful scene to me, and in my little dream world, Shinji would have walked over the yellow tape, and embraced Asuka.

heh yeah, I know how you feel. But then it all comes down to the characters' inability to really communicate what they feel, or to even know what really want for themselves.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So does Shinji like Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:29 pm

slothen wrote:liek, wow. almost a three year old thread.

Still a subject of much debate. :lol:

If Shinji had stepped over the tape, I think we would have seen the manga version of the hospital scene.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Thanatos
Embryo

hmm

•      
  •      

Postby Thanatos » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:12 pm

I haven't read the manga yet, but i would like to. Its just i have no spare money to throw around presently. But now i want to know how that scene and others are depicted differently, yet at the same time i want to keep myself in the dark so its something new when i do break down and buy every volume released so far.
"The one who lacks courage to be a hammer, comes off in the role of the anvil." -Oswald Spengler

flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:18 pm

What's spooning?
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 pm

flatulant wrote:What's spooning?

Google is Your Friend
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 pm

My post was here and now it's gone. :?

Its OT-ness was detected and eliminated
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:58 pm

....And I apologize in advance if this somehow comes off as being arrogant, I don't mean it that way at all. >_<;[/quote]

Actually it dosen't sound arrgoant. Asuka obvioulsy wanted to show her feelings to Shinji...though Shinj due to all the rejection he suffered through his entire life needed a direct statement about her or anyone's elses feelings before letting his guard down. Actually if Asuka where anyone else it would be easier for her to do so...given that she is so in love with the kid she puts together all her crazy schemes.
I won.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 pm

I'll stick to my dream world in which they learn to understand one another, and form some sort of relationship.

Hey, there's always after 3rd Impact! ;) (No reference to my first Eva fanfic EVAR intended!) After all, who's to say its not possible that Asuka finally stops pushing people away (especially with the Cheek-caress) and Shinji finally lets people in (Um...does crying on boob's count for anything either than implying Mother is First Other shows the moving onto Significant Other? Especially they now know how the feelings they have for each other AND know what makes the other tick ("If I can't have all of you, then I want nothing!", "Then, be nice to me", "I want to help you somehow. I want to be with you forever.", "Then don't do anything. All you ever do is hurt me.", "You won't even hold me(??)", etc, etc )...

I really think the reason Anno-sensei put I Need You(Yes I know that title refers to the whole movie and not the final scene but sue so me it fits) in their to begin with is to show that DESPITE what various characters throughout the show say ("Hedgehog's Dilemma: The closer we are, the more we hurt eachother", "Women and men are on different shores", "You will NEVER understand!"), people ARE able to understand one another, as well as love/take care of themselves and each other, provided they make an effort since "There will be chances to become happy anywhere." Image

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:28 am

HEY, I just realized that significance to the cheek carressing! :shock: Asuka's finally learned to stop pushing people away!

We always think of what Shinji went through during 3I, yet rarely stop to think (except in comedic situations such as the "wondermeat" comic) that Asuka probably had a similar experience of her own.

I love it. I just love how I keep finding out new things about this show. :lol:
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:01 pm

NAveryW wrote:HEY, I just realized that significance to the cheek caressing! :shock: Asuka's finally learned to stop pushing people away!

It also has to do with the whole deal of with Mother is the First Other (notice how Yui caresses Shinji's face in 16 when she reveals herself to him and in 26' when she says goodbye)

"Mou ii no?"

"Mou ii no ne?"

and how people have to move on from that onto Significant Other (Asuka's caress showing she DOES care despite her earlier bitterness/anger, knowing what makes him tick thanks to Pre-Instrumentality ("Then, be kind to me."), and will possibly stop pushing others away). Shinji's breaking down sobbing seems to indicate not just remembering his mother's farewell, but also the shock that she does care and just received a positive reaction as his Confirmation of Reality/her having finally returned to Reality, NOT a negative reaction.

With "...kimochi warui.", though I think its because of number of things (which is why "I feel sick" is the best translation imo), I'd say the main reason Asuka "looks at Shinji with a coldly contemptuous eye" and says those words in "the coldest voice possible" is because of what we see throughout Pre-Instrumentality: Pathetic-Shinji = DO NOT WANT.

Beautiful, isn't it? ^_^
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:26 pm

The above post is an example. I need to find the time to rewatch the series again...I missed half the stuff posted here.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

20XD6_Tyrant
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby 20XD6_Tyrant » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:32 pm

flatulant wrote:What's spooning?

Did you really have to ask that?

Also, you really should improve your google-fu
Apparently, I'm the admin's new(read:old) Chew toy.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:43 pm

NAveryW wrote:HEY, I just realized that significance to the cheek carressing! :shock: Asuka's finally learned to stop pushing people away! <snip>
So how many times did you see that scene before you figured that out?

Razeil100
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Razeil100 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:49 pm

I can think of two clear examples that show the feelings that they have.
1: In EoE during the kitchen/choking scene when Shinji states somthing like "I want to help and be with you forever."

2. When Asuka tells Shinji on the train she knows about his jerk off fantasies, she says "If I can't have you all to myself then I don't want anything to do with you' or somthing to the effct. This does show that she has interest in him.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”