How are the Evas piloted?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
flatulant
Shamshel
Shamshel

How are the Evas piloted?

•      
  •      

Postby flatulant » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:13 am

This is something that has been wracking my brain for as long as I can remember. Help please?
Last edited by flatulant on Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:16 am

Good question...

At times it seems they're able to control without the handles, but then sometimes they move with handles. Maybe 2nd nature movements are controlled via brain and combat movements by control...? Just a thought.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"
"The need is the justification, there are no other factors to consider."- Gendo Ikari

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/willaym
Website to my NGE Essay: http://opteron-o3.angelfire.com/index.html

tinmeigut
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby tinmeigut » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:18 am

Can I vaguely answer you 'LOVE'? The love of the mother in her son/ daughter.

Probably it's the same old trick all over again. Connect your brains to the nerve system of the Eva through the A10 nerve clip, so virtually everything you think will be carried out physically by the Eva. Think walk and it walks, think punch and it punches the angel.

Ay, but Eva 01 doesn't scream when Shinji screams...
If all the world hated you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience approved you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without friends. -Jane Eyre, Chapter 8

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am

What about the handles?
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:26 am

Someone once posited the hypothesis that the handles are just there for the pilots to feel as if they are somehow physically moving the Evas. When in reality it is all their own mind.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Opteron-O3
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Opteron-O3 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:06 pm

I can see how that would be true.
Last edited by Opteron-O3 on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hailtheplatypus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Hailtheplatypus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:09 pm

I think that the idea that they are moved by the pilots mind is the most correct answer so far. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense...
The fate of distruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:23 pm

These threads might have something.

http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1512
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2566
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1475
http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479

Relevant material is scattered across a gazillion threads, I'm sure, but not gathered all into one place. I don't think the Eva-pilot issue has ever been satisfactorily dissected. I know I still don't completely understand it, or have even fanwanked an understanding of it.

If you can fashion a logic of all the gobbledygook used in association with Eva-pilot stuff, then a winner is you.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:27 pm

ep01 plat subs wrote:Ibuki (RADIO - OFF):
Commencing secondary contacts. A-10 nerve connection, normal.

Ritsuko (RADIO - OFF):
Set the thought configuration to Japanese. All preliminary contacts
established. Performance nominal.

Whatever that means...

ep01 plat subs wrote:
RITSUKO:
Shinji, just concentrate on walking right now.

Shinji (MONO):
Walk...

RITSUKO:
It walked!

Shinji:
Walk...

But for a more literal take on what Ritsuko said about "Concentrating"
ep01 LTP Translation wrote:Misato: Shinji-kun, think only of walking now.

Shinji: Walk...

Ritsuko: It's walking!

Shinji: Walk...

(Although they got it wrong, it's not Misato saying that).

So it's pretty obvious the Evas more or less does what the pilot "thinks". The handle controls discussion exists in this thread: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1512

So, it's obvious the pilot controls Evas with their thoughts, but beyond that, we know nothing of the actual mechanics of how this system works.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:35 pm

Ornette wrote:
ep01 plat subs wrote:Ritsuko (RADIO - OFF):
Set the thought configuration to Japanese. All preliminary contacts
established. Performance nominal.

Whatever that means...

Probably has something to do with this:

Episode #08 (Plat Subs) wrote:Asuka: <GERMAN STUFF>

Shinji:
Program error? What happened?

Asuka:
Thought noise! I told you not to disturb me.

Shinji:
What do you mean?

Asuka:
You're thinking in Japanese, aren't you? Think in German.

Shinji:
Oh, okay. Baumkuchen...

Asuka:
Idiot! Just forget it. Switch the base language to Japanese.
Evangelion Unit 02, activate.

So it's pretty obvious the Evas more or less does what the pilot "thinks".

I wonder how a distinction is made between thoughts that are relevant for piloting and ones that, well, aren't.

So, it's obvious the pilot controls Evas with their thoughts, but beyond that, we know nothing of the actual mechanics of how this system works.

Plenty of gobbledygook and weird graphs in the series to filter through. And more technobabble has been added to the 5.1 supplemental dialogue -- but most of that hasn't been translated yet.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Reichu wrote:I wonder how a distinction is made between thoughts that are relevant for piloting and ones that, well, aren't.

If it's a matter between thinking "Move my arm and point to that restuarant" or "I wonder what kind of food that restuarant has", the first has to do with movement and the second doesn't. If it's a matter between thinking "Move my arm and scratch my stomach" or "My stomach itches" and actually scratching it, the line is a little fuzzy, but I assume the actually scratching part doesn't require the same type of thought.

There's (at least for me) the literally, intentionally thinking about something, as opposed to the regular non-thought related brain activity of say, typing, scratching an itch, dodging a rock, etc. The literal, intentional thought is probably what moves an Eva, the rest is probably just thought noise that gets filtered somehow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Does Sadamoto's babblings in the back of the first manga volume help with anything anime-wise?

To paraphrase since I don't have time to look up the exact quote in my copy: "Something about A-10 neural brain connection; positive thoughts like the love of a parent for a child, and how the power of love moves this machine. What a corny, and heartwarming, etc concept."

And this may have been asked before, or something along these lines, but what do those hairclips have to do with anything? Does it help synch the Pilots to the Evas, and what are they called, anyway (Not A-10 clips or anything like that)?
I'm just wondering since Asuka's always wearing hers (until she gives up on life--piloting--in 24') and Shinji ISN'T wearing them in EoE, not that he's in control of piloting Sho anyway.

But I agree with what Ornette's last post said that it has to do with conscious thoughts when it comes to piloting.

Ay, but Eva 01 doesn't scream when Shinji screams...

Ni screams when Asuka screams in EoE, but that's a whole other matter all together. ;) Something to do with high-synch ratio, possible partial if not full control of Ni, and Asuka having regressed. ^^; I don't get that final battle myself, but anyway...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:00 pm

I thought it was a simple matter of that the handle controls are used for more complex actions, specifically arm movements like shooting a gun (which when you think about it, is a handy safety feature; you don't want to be just idly thinking about shooting and have the gun go off in your hand)

the thing I don't quite understand though, is how much of it is "your mind links with the Eva's mind by synchronizing with the A10 nerve clips....and does LCL play a role in the process?

And at the same time.....was the whole "your nerve pattern links with it" thing a load of BS because it's REALLY synching with the human soul inside?

Or is it a little bit of both..
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Knoxer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Knoxer » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:28 am

I believe they pilot the eva using their minds, I think the little triangle things on their heads are what do it.

As for weapon control I think that's what the handles are for.
Fuyutsuki: It's hot
Gendo: Yes...

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:21 am

Reichu wrote:Plenty of gobbledygook and weird graphs in the series to filter through. And more technobabble has been added to the 5.1 supplemental dialogue -- but most of that hasn't been translated yet.

Leave that to Webuild, I guess.

And about the 'thinking in Japanese' part of it- if the pilots think their thoughts 'aloud', and there are two pilots thinking the same thing in two different languages, the soul inside gets confused? In Episode 13, Misato says something about the same thought-pattern(I can't remember the exact term) technology being used in both the Magi and the Evas.

She might be wrong since she doesn't know about the souls inside the Evas, but if she's correct, and there's a technology interface between the Pilot and the resident soul (That very well might be, considering the dummy plugs), there would be real confusion. The computers inside probably translate the pilot's thoughts into signals for the Eva's souls to work on. (With apologies to Reichu: I haven't seen the old thread yet)

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:36 am

I think you mean this part:

ep13 plat subs wrote:Misato:
Hey, tell me a little about the Magi.

RITSUKO (OFF):
It's a long story. And not a very interesting one, at that.
Do you know about personality transplant OS?

Misato:
Yes, it's a system that implants an individual's personality
into a seventh generation organic computer so it can think.
It's the same technology used for operating the Evas, right?

RITSUKO:
I've heard Magi was the first of them.
My mother developed the technology.

Misato:
So, it was her personality that was implanted?

RITSUKO:
Right.

Misato doesn't need to about the souls inside the Eva to know about the mechanics to pilot them. Whatever technology was used to "transplant" the 3 aspects of Naoko into the Magi is used for operating the Evas, I don't think that was the same technology used in the CEs. But there definitely needs to be some sort of computer (for lack of a better word) interface between the pilots and the Evas themselves (and possibly with the souls). I don't think, under normal circumstances, the pilot is in direct mental communication with the souls, but more like a pilot telling the interface what to do, then the interface does something.
Last edited by Ornette on Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:40 am

Knoxer wrote:As for weapon control I think that's what the handles are for.

The pilots use the induction levers in plenty of instances not involving weapons at all (running, pushing, carrying, etc.). By the same token, weapons can (be) fire(d) when the pilots' hands are nowhere near the levers -- see e.g. the positron rifle going off during Arael's "attack". The induction levers are clearly "dummies".

UrsusArctos wrote:Leave that to Webuild, I guess.

Eva =/= Weva
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

JP
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JP » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:45 am

You know those ball things with the electricity inside them(the kids toy)?
http://www.holidayswithkids.com.au/things_to_see_and_do/__data/page/130/shocksmall2.jpg
And when you touch it, a little electricity bolt follows your finger?

I always thought it was something like that. You hold the handles, and transmit your thoughts into it.

Otherwise,
It's just a giant-robot anime afterall.
:lol:
The pregnancy is now absolute.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:34 am

better question: what role does LCL play in piloting, as opposed to the A10 Nerve clips?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am

V wrote:better question: what role does LCL play in piloting, as opposed to the A10 Nerve clips?

It's called an Interface Headset. You can see Rei holding hers here. I have no idea where the "A10 ~" name came from.

Asuka's are a different beast, natch. I guess the reasons are more "symbolic" than practical.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”