Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:New JL image.
Better pose for Diana in this. Cyborg still looks iffy. Set design is nice. Giger-ish.
SPOILER: Show

Set design ain't bad at all. Aquaman actually looks pretty cool. Wonder Woman looks good too- Gal Gadot is the perfect pick for the role IMO. Cyborg though...ech. Looks like yet another "It's made of ten thousand bits of metal lit from within" Hollywood robot design.

Seriously, Hollywood. Just because it worked for the Transformers (who pretty much had to be that complex just to look believable turning into realistic vehicles) doesn't mean every single robot ever has to look the same. Stop with the "made of metal ribs" thing.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:36 pm

In more positive news? There are rumors (not confirmed) that Fox and Marvel might be teaming up to produce an X-Men cartoon series.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/06 ... ater-year/

This does seem a bit fishy though. On one hand Marvel and Fox did team up to co-produce Legion. On the other hand. . . Marvel hasn't exactly been kind to their Fox-Shared properties. They cancelled Wolverine and the X-Men despite killer ratings and viewership to avoid giving Fox publicity for their Superhero universe. They're currently working overtime to phase out the X-Men in their comics by creating some in universe excuse to add them to the Inhuman roster.

Will this be the start of a return to quality Marvel Cartoons like Spectacular Spider Man or the 90's X-Men Cartoon? It's tough to say at this point.
IM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 am

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 pm

The Title of the next X-Men movie after Deadpool 2 and The New Mutants is 'x-Men: Supernova' and it will be covering(hopefully) part of the events of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Here's hoping they can do it right this time.

http://www.cbr.com/report-x-men-superno ... &view=list

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:10 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The Title of the next X-Men movie after Deadpool 2 and The New Mutants is 'x-Men: Supernova' and it will be covering(hopefully) part of the events of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Here's hoping they can do it right this time.

http://www.cbr.com/report-x-men-superno ... &view=list

I liked the Cyclops/Jean they set up in Apocalypse.
My big hope for Supernova is that they will completely leave out Mystique & Magneto alongside the almost certainly left out Wolverine and focus on the Kids & Xavier.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:01 pm

I hope they basically just start ignoring continuity between the movies and just make each one an adaptation of a storyline that's mostly self contained.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 pm

New clip from Logan released.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Abq0F5Q-A

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Lena Headey (43 - dredd, game of thrones, laid to rest, 300) & Haley Bennet (29 - the magnificent seven remake) have both stated their desires to play Catwoman.

Lena would be age appropriate with Ben but both sound good to me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Damned if you do damned if you don't.

They cast Lena. The character will be age appropriate but you'll alienate the Fanboys who want to see a proper version of Catwoman on the big screen. As I stated casting an older Batman means that he's past his Prime in all of the juicy stories you could potentially tell are off the table. It's the same thing with Catwoman because the character is past her Prime, you pretty much lost all the potential stories from when she was a young woman to tell.

Cast Haley. yeah you do get a Catwoman closer to who she is in the comics, and the storytelling possibilities that come with a younger version of the character. But with all the controversy in the mainstream media over how women are portrayed , a 20 something woman in a relationship with a 40-50 your old Batman would cause a lot of backlash and controversy.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:45 pm

43 isn't really past anyone's prime. I mean, it can be if you don't take care of yourself, but for many people that age is their prime -- Lena Headey among them.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

She sounds perfect for Catwoman to me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:43 isn't really past anyone's prime. I mean, it can be if you don't take care of yourself, but for many people that age is their prime -- Lena Headey among them.

I'm not saying 'past her prime' physically. I'm saying 'past her prime' in that all the best stories for Catwoman happen when she's a young woman, just like a lot of the best Batman stories happen when he's a young man.

When it comes to a character like Batman, Superman, etc. making the character an older version of themselves has potential to tell a good story, or comment on who the character is as an Icon. But you need to realize, that comes with consequences. Because the DCEU chose to have an older Batman, all of his best stories (Killing Joke, Death In The Family, The Long Halloween etc.) can NEVER be told in a movie, and the rich storytelling possibilities those stories have are reduced backstory we'll never get to see unless they cast another actor to play a younger Batman in a prequel ala X-Men first class, we'll never get to see those stories.

The same thing with Catwoman.

When In Rome, The Catfile, Selena's Big Score, all of them have great potential to be good stories featuring Selena. . . that will be reduced to backstory we'll never get to see if they have an older Catwoman closer to the age of Bat-Fleck.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm

This isn't going to be the last iteration of on screen Batman. There will be a younger Catwoman again.

I'd rather they don't do the Killing Joke. I see it as more of a product of its time and a groundbreaking piece than a genuinely good story.
the prophecy is true

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Ray, I think you're overstating the importance of needing source material to slavishly base something upon. One of the best Batman adaptations, Batman: TAS, had relatively few direct adaptations of stories from the comics. Instead, it borrowed liberally from the mythos and was not afraid to innovate, resulting in many elements that immigrated back into the comic from the show. That is to say, a skilled screenwriter could do plenty with the concept of an older Batman and Catwoman. Do I think it's likely? Well, not especially, given DCCU's track record so far, but it is possible.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:43 isn't really past anyone's prime. I mean, it can be if you don't take care of yourself, but for many people that age is their prime -- Lena Headey among them.

I agree, but we are dealing with studios that are looking to extend a series into decades worth of material. Robert Downey Jr. gets by with a CGI Iron-Man suit for all of his stunts, guaranteeing his character to appear in nearly 10 years of Marvel movies. (This year is his 9th since making movies with Marvel.) Catwoman usually has less excuses for CGI costumes.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:22 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Catwoman usually has less excuses for CGI costumes.

Either...

(A) Flesh and blood stunt double, with Headley's face CGed on in the event it's visible.
(B) Completely CGI stunt double.

Both are old tricks at this point, and getting more refined all the time.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Marvel released a behind the scenes video for the production start of Avengers Infinity War.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOzrChqmd0

Apparently Matt Reeves is officially in early talks to take over The Batman as director, sounds great to me, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was awesome.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:37 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote: This isn't going to be the last iteration of on screen Batman. There will be a younger Catwoman again.

Not for a decade or so. Because we're stuck with the DCEU for the foreseeable future. and the future movies are essentially going to have to be apologies for the mistakes the last ones made. But if the mistakes just keep piling up on each other one after the other. . .DC still won't reboot. Because WB is past the point of no return, they've dumped too much money into the DCEU to back out now. If defeat is admitted and they do a HARD reboot, heads very high up the WB corporate food chain will roll.

Best case scenario I can imagine is a soft reboot using time travel or a super-villain with multiverse dimension hopping power. Which would be fine. . . if X-Men: Days Of Future past hadn't done it first.

Reichu wrote:One of the best Batman adaptations, Batman: TAS, had relatively few direct adaptations of stories from the comics. Instead, it borrowed liberally from the mythos and was not afraid to innovate, resulting in many elements that immigrated back into the comic from the show. That is to say, a skilled screenwriter could do plenty with the concept of an older Batman and Catwoman.

I'm not saying it would have to be a 100% faithful adaptation. I'm just saying certain aspects from those stories can't be told properly in a movie if the character is old and past his prime, same with Catwoman.

Let me put this simply. I know it's a little hyperbolic, but hear me out. THIS is Catwoman in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. The work that Zack Snyder and Goyer, (for better or worse) drew upon for inspiration when making BVS.

This is the Catwoman, people want to see in the movies:

WB has already alienated plenty of people by giving them versions of Batman and Superman they largely didn't want. Do want them to alienate people more by giving them a version of Catwoman, a character who has never been properly portrayed on the big OR small screen, they largely don't want?

Do I think it's likely? Well, not especially, given DCCU's track record so far, but it is possible.

Just keep rubbing salt in the wounds of us DC fans . . . That's about yer speed.

movieartman wrote:Marvel released a behind the scenes video for the production start of Avengers Infinity War.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAOzrChqmd0

and Marvel overlaps Dc on the track and gives the middle finger on the way to the victory circle. (Sigh)

Apparently Matt Reeves is officially in early talks to take over The Batman as director, sounds great to me, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was awesome.

Given the circumstances? I'll take him.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Just keep rubbing salt in the wounds of us DC fans . . . That's about yer speed.

If you took care of those wounds and let them close up a bit, it wouldn't be so easy for salt to get in there, would it? :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:02 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:1 - Let me put this simply. I know it's a little hyperbolic, but hear me out. THIS is Catwoman in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns. The work that Zack Snyder and Goyer, (for better or worse) drew upon for inspiration when making BVS.

2 - WB has already alienated plenty of people by giving them versions of Batman and Superman they largely didn't want.

1 - They didn't do a adaption of TDKR, they took elements and completely re purposed them and did new things with them. There is no chance in hell they would be taking inspiration from that version of Catwoman. Headey isn't nearly old enough that she can't steal jewels in hot leather, Beckinsale proves that being a year older in the most recent Underworld.

2 - Considering Affleck was the most highly praised part of BVS this is EXACTLY the Batman people want outside of him directly killing human criminals.

Return to “Film and Video”