Ghostbusters Reboot

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Ghostbusters Reboot

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:30 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Making it a pass the torch sequel would have made everything go over with the fans a lot smoother even if the cast had been all female.

That's just adding another unsupported assertion to those which already fill this thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:50 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:It's clear you'll always believe the reason this movie failed was because of sexism and not because the movie didn't respect the legacy of the original.

I actually never said that, Ray. But the fact that you chose to frame things in those terms makes your own position clear. Insisting it's not about sexism when no one's brought up sexism rings a bit hollow, y'know?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Sorry, Gendospapa's and your politics tend to blur together sometimes.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:56 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It's 30 years after the fact, dude. Keeping the same cast would be asinine (also, at least some of the cast wanted nothing to do with a sequel, so there's that as well).

Star Wars would like to have a word with you.

Insisting it's not about sexism when no one's brought up sexism rings a bit hollow

Sexism hasn't been explicitly stated but neither has the reason as to why people were against the movie in the first place.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:12 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Star Wars would like to have a word with you.

<checks Rogue One cast>

Nope, don't think so.

Sexism hasn't been explicitly stated but neither has the reason as to why people were against the movie in the first place.

You don't need to know why something exists to know it exists, though, so this is a moot point.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:15 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:<checks Rogue One cast> Nope, don't think so.

CGI Tarkin isn't on the cast list but he's still in the movie.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:You don't need to know why something exists to know it exists, though, so this is a moot point.

Everyone and their grandmother that was for the movie swore up and down that the opposition was solely because of sexism though. When you have news articles stating "Women are funny, get over it." as an article on the movie, it's clear to see what people think the opposition was about.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:20 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:CGI Tarkin isn't on the cast list but he's still in the movie.

Yeah, so? You think people are packing theaters to see a dead guy?

Everyone and their grandmother that was for the movie swore up and down that the opposition was solely because of sexism though. When you have news articles stating "Women are funny, get over it." as an article on the movie, it's clear to see what people think the opposition was about.

And how is that relevant to the discussion at hand? I mean, if people think your behavior is sexist they do, but it's not an argument that's been raised in the last page of this thread so I don't see any reason to bring it up.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:23 pm

The difference between Star Wars and Ghostbusters as that there has always been a significant demand for anything Star Wars related. The same cannot be said for Ghostbusters, at least not nearly to the same extent Star Wars has achieved. People don't need a whole lot of extra convincing to go out and see Star Wars.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:28 pm

The point I was trying to make is that the idea of having actors from a movie from thirty years ago is no longer an asinine idea.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:30 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:The point I was trying to make is that the idea of having actors from a movie from thirty years ago is no longer an asinine idea.

If the movie is Star Wars. Otherwise, eh.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:56 pm

Bagheera wrote:It's 30 years after the fact, dude. Keeping the same cast would be asinine (also, at least some of the cast wanted nothing to do with a sequel, so there's that as well).

TheFriskyIan wrote:Star Wars would like to have a word with you.

Star Trek would also like to point out the movie crossover Star Trek: Generations, or "When Picard Met Kirk..."

Bagheera wrote:If the movie is Star Wars. Otherwise, eh.

What about Star Trek XI? The reboot/continuation/something or other that brought back Leonard Nimoy as Spock 18 years after the last movie he had been in for Star Trek, and over 40 years since the original show had stopped its original run? Hell, Into Darkness was pretty much "Wrath of Khan" 2.0, but it at least tried to be different. Ghostbusters attempted to cash in on the nostalgia of the original two movies, and then brought back the cast of the original for cameos, which seems like a cop out frankly. One or two cameos, yes sure, Bill Murray is always good for a laugh, but almost all of them? They tried too hard, like they were looking for approval.

Ray wrote:Making it a pass the torch sequel would have made everything go over with the fans a lot smoother even if the cast had been all female.

I agree with this, as Star Trek did it gracefully enough (twice!), they could have too, as some sort of retirement or otherwise their proteges, or something. Just a little effort to make this a continuation of the story would have been nice. I didn't really care about the cast being women though (seeing as it was a big deal), it was simply a moot point. The sexism stuff is there, sure, that's the risk with any gender bending of source material, unfortunately.

Now, did I see the movie? Yes, it put me to sleep about 20 minutes in, which only happened with one other recent movie, the Fantastic 4 reboot. So what does that say? That the movie was poorly executed and put me, someone who always has a something on my TV, phone, tablet, or gaming console to listen to or play, to sleep, in a movie theater full of people. I thought I'd give the movie a chance, but it just didn't work for me. Especially with its "We're not the old Ghostbusters, but uh... we're a lot like it. Just, um... try to discount the similarities... we only took the name."
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:50 am

I think the more fundamental issue is does the original cast want to do it or not: the only reason a lot of the original cast in the latest Star Wars is because they wanted to be in it. The original cast of Ghostbusters has waffled incredibly on how badly they want a third sequel, and a critical Ensemble member (Bill Murray) has been adamant that he does not want anything to do with a third sequel. The primary reason he probably appeared here was because it was a small cameo.

When you created a group dynamic like that, it is really hard to justify making more films with the original cast when it's likely you're going to lose that dynamic. Since the key part of the new Star Wars movies is handing off the stories to a newer and younger cast, disassembling that group dynamic is a central part of the story and easier to present.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Return to “Film and Video”