Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Re: What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2016 to now

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:41 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Flip Flappers: "Say, if Trigger did Eva, what would it look like?" Well, now you know. Utterly glorious show. Everyone and their grandmother should watch it ASAP.

(Yes, I know it's not a Trigger show. Not the point.)

Agreed. Flip Flappers is flipping fantastic. Destined to become a new cult classic, I hope!

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:58 am

Glad to see more Flip Flapper fans on the board. I see a lot of Kunihiko Ikuhara in FLFL too. Can't wait to see what the final episode will look like, hoping that maybe they'll pull something totally crazy out of their ass.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Watched the first couple of episodes of Twintail ni narimasu, which were amusing enough trash that I might watch some more, though it doesn't look like I'll be watching it on the strength of the fight choreography. Even so, it had a higher entertainment value than other titles I've tried recently.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Flip Flappers: ...Everyone and their grandmother should watch it ASAP.
Does Papikari stop being nails-on-the-chalkboard irritating?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:49 pm

Having recently played the game- I figured I’d give the Corpse Party: Tortured Souls OVAs a look.
This is clearly only meant for fans of the game, there are a few scenes where the story skips ahead of itself and doesn’t fill in the gaps for the viewer. I have to wonder though- what subset of fans wanted to see most of the characters (who survived the game) die in gruesome ways in this adaptation?
Poor Yuka. An incestuous attraction doesn’t quite deserve that kind of punishment.
The studio behind this must have been fans of the School Days TV ending.

Probably not the best choice of entertainment for Christmas Eve…

SYD* OVA 6
25 seconds in and I'm laughing. Perfect, as usual.
Kotomi and Dejima in abundance. A bit of Uomi. A little Mitsuba, Hata and Yokoshima thrown in too.
Best Christmas present since Tracy Island.
Now I wait for September…

I'll probably finish the night with a rewatch of Macross: Do You Remember Love?.

Merry Christmas, you buggers.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:59 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:
Probably not the best choice of entertainment for Christmas Eve…

I rewatched the Christmas Eve episode of Ping Pong, myself. China singing the Xmas karaoke song with his teammates is still a top class scene.

Director Black wrote:Still trying not to fall asleep or watch something else with it.

When I was watching Texhnolyze I was also watching Tari Tari, which did a fine job of evening out the mood. But if you find a series boring just forget about it and put it on the shelf for a few months or a few years. The first time I watched NGE, when I was 13 or so, I was bored to death.

---------------------------
Also, finished Trigun, the second half of which I had a wonderful time watching. The series is pretty simplistic and straight forward, but there are scenes that are super memorable, like Vash's time on the spaceship, his final showdown with Legato, and the death of Wolfwood. I really liked the show when I was 13 and had yet to watch an entire anime series from start to finish, and I really liked it as a 27 year old who's seen dozens of series, which I think is a pretty fine compliment for a show. Not quite on the level of Bebop or Eva , but close.

"Paradise" may be in my top five all time episodes.

Tonight I'm watching The Boy and the Beast for the first time. Very excited for Takagi Masakatsu's soundtrack. :kawaii:
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:33 pm

I recently watched Kizumonogatari part 2 and currently waiting for part 3.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Haganai episode 12

The amount of focus on Kodaka and Yozora which hasn't really been spent on since episode 1 when all the harem chicks kept showing up was refreshing and weird at the same time. On the other hand, it was nice to see Yozora in a different light as she recalls the events leading up to the formation of the club from her POV as well as what the conversations with her air friend Tomo were really about. The haircut is a smooth transition as well.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:08 pm

Watched more Bubblegum Crisis, the last ep I watched being 5. This show keeps getting better and better- it might be one of my new favourite anime.

SPOILER: Show
Sylvie though... :asuka_sad: :asuka_sad: :asuka_sad:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:17 pm

Coming back to this forum after inactivity I'll say the only thing I've been watching are the more recent episodes of One Piece.

I have been so out of the loop with anime it's a little ridiculous, I have not been paying attention to anything regarding recent releases at all, and I don't think I'll ever catch up unless I find a spark to start watching again. I have no clue whats come out this season, or what's even good. Also there are plenty of older/not recent anime like Beserk or One Punch Man I need to start or finish.

All of this and I keep checking for the nonexistent 3.0+1.0 news aside from "We are working on it, please be excited." (Which not trying to start a debate over all of the crap of being "entitled" or whatever the fuck some of the members on here say about waiting for information, I'm completely 100% fine with Anno taking his time with 3.0+1.0, and I'm just awaiting some official announcement is all.)
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:36 pm

This season is over. Time for some brief reviews on what I watched:

Occultic;Nine: Fast paced dialogue, curious directing(I hope you like tilting your head) and massive tits are among the many things that made this anime stand out and garner a not so positive attention. Don't let this fool you though, at its core Occultic is a solid mistery/drama series with a bunch of twists and turns to keep you interested. The music and animation is also quite good and I never skiped past the Op and ED.
All this said, it's a show I honestly have a hard time recommending. Its style is something else and if you don't like it enjoying the rest of the show is probably difficult.
Watch one or two episodes and decide for yourself.

Lesbian Witch Adventures is a solid, (if somewhat underwhelming, considering its premise,) show with some great action scenes sprinkled throughout. The music and OP/ED are also pretty good most of the time. It does suffer from not terribly complex characters, bland directing, some average animation and a unsatisfying ending.
If you like hints of lesbianism, action and WWII stuff you might enjoy this one.

Flip Flappers has made a bit of a splash in the community due to its stellar animation and whimsical, adventurous tone. In essence it's a partially episodic show about visiting imaginary worlds that switches gears halfway through to give a rather bland main story that just cannot live up to what came before.
If you're a sakuga fan, give it a watch, just don't expect the ending to be in any way satisfactory.

Jojo Part 4 is the fourth part(redundant much?) of the popular Jojo series. I haven't watched the first 3 parts but this one was great. Fantastic music, solid directing, generally interesting and inventive scenarios(the side stories are almost as good as the main one, which is saying something) and a formidable cast of characters make this one of the best of the year. Give it a watch.

Keijo is about girls fighting with their butts and tits. It's actually a pretty standard sports series if you get past that. It essentially relies on the ridiculous scenarios its premise delivers and uses them to great effect to shake up the standard sports formula. Give this one a try if you want a few good laughs.

Hibike Euphonium 2nd Season is pretty similar to the first season, but a bit better. There's a resolution for most plot points and a bunch of dramatic, well executed moments follow. If you liked the first season, there's no reason not to watch this one.

There's a lot more I watched, but I have nothing to say about the other shows.

---

Garo Movie:Divine Flame: More Garo, but with more nudity, blood and better animation! Divine flame already had a perfectly good ending, but this movie is an excellent addition to the story. It was pretty good to see all the old characters after so long.
I wish Garo Divine Flame wasn't so ignored, but what can you do?

Once again, I hope the next season is good!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:12 am

Episode 1 of Love Hina had an OP tune that'll have me humming along to it for hours. Keitaro is a likeable lead who always manages to get into the worst situations with the females, especially Naru but their chemistry is undeniable.

Episode 1 of Sword Art Online got me thinking that it's good that I am recently getting back into the swing of liking RPG related material and if i'm not mistaken, the RPG system that SAO uses when attacking is the style that originated with Final Fantasy 12, more or less. I could be wrong.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:50 pm

I just wrapped up a nearly year long journey into watching every Gainax TV anime last night. Celebrated by watching the Gurren Lagann movies.

In retrospect, Corpse Princess was not the best choice to end such a marathon.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:46 pm

Finished Bubblegum Crisis. Really good fun but damn do I wish it had been properly finished- the last episode, whilst a great watch, just wasn't satisfactory as an ending.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Rahxephon episode 24

Haruka FINALLY declaring her love to Ayato didn't really need to be 24 episodes in the making, did it?! It's one of those "it's about time" moments that really stick with you with how beautiful the scene is. Speaking of beautiful, the Xephon morphing into it's true form featured some of the most stunning animation I have ever seen in a TV series.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 pm

Sprite: Between Two Worlds episode 1

Mostly watching this obscure OVA because Tara Sands voices the female lead and she's one of my favorite dub actresses. Toru is a typical horny teen right down to the fapping bit during his first night in Tokyo. Kind of reminds me of Sakura Diaries when the main male faps on his first night as well. The fights between Nami and the bullies were really something special for the time, honestly felt surprised at the quality of the moves.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:40 am

Finished Magical Girl Raising Project. Story was straightforward and predictable, nothing particularly inventive about it. Blood and bodies were expected, and in that sense- the show certainly delivered.
Certain deaths did surprise however, like how early
SPOILER: Show
La Pucelle

was offed; and even if they were predictable- a lot of the deaths were still quite sad.
It’s always a pleasure hear Satomi Arai’s distinct monotone (reminds me of SYD), but the poor woman always seems to take only small roles. No exception in MGRP.

Just attempted to watch Fate/Grand Order : First Order.
Stupid title, but I guess they couldn’t call it “Grand Order: Galactic Empire” or “Grand Order: Sith”.
Fell asleep after 40 minutes. It’s amazing how such a cool and exciting concept as magical-super-powered, legendary heroes battling it out can be rendered so bloody boring. Unlimited Blah Blah Blah Works continues…
I wonder how Hollywood would treat the premise; I suppose Robin Hood might represent the Archer class; and I can’t help but imagine wrestlers acting certain roles; Brock Lesnar as the Berserker Heracles and Randy Orton as Gilgamesh…

Finished Diamond is Unbreakable. Whilst Josuke did do most of the work- it was a little disappointing to see the other JoJo land the finishing blow. You need to put over the younger talent, Jotaro.
Fun show. I’ll miss the whacky colours, Engrish and singing along with the OP and ED.
Highlights included the standalone episodes 10 ("Let's Go Eat Some Italian Food") and 16 ("Let's Go Hunting!"), nice reminders of just how terrifying stands can be.

Kiss Him, Not Me was an enjoyable, harmless little romcom.

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Lesbian Witch Adventures
Oh, come on now. Two girls can be friends without eventually bumping uglies, just like men and women never do in every harem show ever made. Minus School Days.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I haven't watched an anime as it airs since Kill La Kill. Studio Trigger is bringing me back with the Little Witch Academia TV series this week. Thank you Studio Trigger. An anime with female protagonists that (hopefully) doesn't need to be defended as a "a guilty pleasure."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:32 pm

magical shopping arcade abenobashi

I laughed, loud and hard. I really like how the first episode is relatvely muted and realistic until the balls to the walls insanity happens.

I also like how Arumi starts out as the reasonable one, and then as the series goes on she progressively loses it until she eventually goes ballistic on Sasshi.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Oh yeah! One of my favourites (see my sig, even).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:59 pm

What I want to know is. . . who okayed the 'Arami loses her panties' joke?

Return to “Anime and Manga”