From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

Re: From Your Lips to the Author's Ears: Story Ideas

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Evangelion as a comedic fantasy series ala Slayers (disclaimer: I have never watched/read Slayers). The Evangelions are enchanted suits of armour (or maybe swords?) containing the souls of the bearer's mother. Misato rides the giant cavalry penguin Pen-Pen into battle. The Angels are dragons or some such nonsense. Obvously it wouldn't be a literal retelling of the series, but rather an original story with the Eva characters in a very silly fantasy setting. Featuring elf-Rei, barbarian Asuka, and way too much of Kaworu's Magical Realm.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:37 pm

You may wish to watch Slayers first before making assumptions on what it's like.

----

An idea I had a few months ago while sitting through a relative's wedding and boring my head off was of a tournament arc series where the Evas are high-tech armor visually similar to the titular armors from Infinite Stratos. Except how they came into existence is that SEELE stole an artifact from the Angels and reverse-engineered it, allowing them to create devices that hook into the user's AT-field and materialize it as "hard light". Specifically, the internal electronics and superstructure are drawn out of a Dirac Sea while the external armor itself is made of this AT-field hardlight.

These armors got developed primarily as weapons of war, with an international treaty forbidding their use near population centers but otherwise completely unregulated. Somewhere down the line, they eventually got semi-accessible for civilian use in mock wargames that ended up becoming a wildly popular spectator sport with multiple professional and even amateur leagues. Battles are not to the death - but due to the inherent power of the weaponry used, fatalities still happen sometimes and contestants are not penalized for it, unless it was a case of clearly deliberate execution of an incapacitated opponent. With that said, contestants in professional leagues are required to sign a contract that waives any legal liability for the organizers and to have a lawyer confirm the existence of a last will and testament before they're allowed to enter the competition.

Naturally, most of the juvenile Eva cast are contestants in three-man teams. Shinji in particular was roped into the whole thing by Asuka because she and Rei needed a third in a hurry. Why Asuka is so insistent on fighting is because her mom was a legendary professional player who got murdered by her opponent in her last match, with Asuka having watched but only remembering that the killer was armed with a giant scythe. So Asuka joined the league in the hopes of encountering the killer and taking revenge. This particular subplot would be resolved in a quite shocking way: during one of their matches, Rei is ambushed by a melee enemy while hanging back to snipe but just as the opponent swoops in to take her out of the match, the formerly docile and focused Rei abruptly materializes a giant scythe and beats her attacker up so brutally that said attacker has to be rushed to the hospital. Turns out Rei is one of a series of combat cyborg prototypes built specifically for handling Evas for military use, but the military decided to pull the funding when it turned out that the prototypes stop distinguishing between friend and foe when "triggered"; the developers subsequently tried to recoup losses by selling the completed prototypes at the black market, but even Rei can't tell how she ended up living on her own as a normal girl instead of as a third-world dictator's personal assassin.

All indications point to Kyoko's killer having been either Rei or one of her sisters, but there's no way to know which one. So Asuka declares that she will not fight alongside Rei ever again and sits out their team's next match, resulting in Shinji getting put into the hospital and Rei quitting over it so that Asuka will come back (which she does and considers the matter closed, as far as she's concerned).

Yet in the middle of all this, there are two more subplots going on. Namely, SEELE are using the Eva leagues to siphon the Eva users' AT-fields and funnel it into the artifact they reverse-engineered to create the Evas, charging it up. Once it is fully charged, they would use it to unleash a wave that would cause everyone to either tang or get their AT-field supercharged to the point of being able to manifest it without mechanical assistance, with SEELE being unconcerned about the ratio between the two. On the other hand, the Angels want the artifact back - and to that end, a couple of them disguised themselves as humans (using their AT-fields to mimic the external appearance of an Eva without actually using one) and entered the leagues incognito to find it, not the least bit concerned about how many humans they have to kill along the way.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:58 pm

Shinji doesn't do the weird head movement and moves in with Gendou.
Probably been done before desu.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Has anyone ever done an NGE/Yu Yu Hakusho cross over?
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:30 am

I don't think so.

But then again, are you sure it would be a good idea?
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:24 am

"Well, this is awkward..."  SPOILER: Show
Post-EoE fic, could be played for comedy or srs bzns. Instead of Asuka, the first person besides Shinji to emerge from the sea of LCL is Gendo.

Rei's a Crowd  SPOILER: Show
The Rei clones, seemingly more intelligent than Ritsuko gave them credit for, somehow escape from their Reiquarium and run amok. Absolute disaster follows as the clones crawl into the ventilation, chew through wires, steal food and scrawl graffiti all over the HQ. Worse still, the Dummy Plug Plant continues to manufacture more Reis to replace the missing ones (which then of course immediately escape). Ritsuko predicts that if the blue tide is not stemmed, the unnaturally huge amount of Rei clones could lead to an impact. Something needs to be done, but what exactly is unclear; clones or not, NERV can't just shoot a bunch of children. Cunning, mischievous and with unlimited numbers, the Rei clones have only one weakness; an inexplicable adoration of Shinji.

Guess who's back?  SPOILER: Show
Directly after Leliel's incredibly messy destruction, Unit 01 just...stops. She falls to the ground, seemingly totally inert, with no signs of life in her core...but TWO signs of life in the plug. When the plug is extracted and opened up, NERV discovers that in addition to Shinji, none other than Yui Ikari has rematerialized, seemingly no older than the day she disappeared. Could either be a funny or a serious fic; on the one hand you could have fun with Yui being appalled by the state of Misato's apartment ("Shinji LIVES HERE?" wailed Yui in despair.) and of course everyone being utterly smitten with her ("Damn, Shinji, your mom is pretty hot!" sighed Touji, swooning.). On the other hand you could go for a more serious/touching angle- Asuka's jealousy of Shinji for having his mum back, Gendo overjoyed to have his beloved wife return from the grave (whilst Yui is more than a little pissed at Gendo for abandoning Shinji) and the like. Perhaps have the fic end with Yui having to return to Unit 01 on the appearance of Zeruel.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Guess Who's Back?

Have 3.33 but with that instead and we have a deal.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:34 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Have 3.33 but with that instead and we have a deal.

Nah. That kinda destroys any possibility of silliness/WAFF, which even a srs bzns version of the premise should have ideally.

Anyway, time to vomit out more stupid ideas.

Crikey, it's a blizzard out there!  SPOILER: Show
For the first time in years, snow starts to fall in Japan. Unfortunately, having not experienced snow for 15 years, and not being properly designed to cope with it, Tokyo-3 is completely and utterly unprepared; the transport systems are completely screwed, power plants fail, and the whole city is generally thrown into chaos. Will NERV be able to get the city operational again? Will they even try? How will poor Rei cope in her squalid apartment with no heating? And what on Earth is everyone going to do when an Angel shows up?

Seriously Weird Science  SPOILER: Show
It's the school science fair, and everyone's working hard on their project for it. Backstabbing, sabotage and general skullduggery follow, as each competitor aims to upstage the other. Will yet another fair be ruined by an overfilled baking soda volcano? Can Shinji defend his project from Asuka's repeated attempts to "accidentally" destroy it? And will Touji and Kensuke's robotic Asuka snatch victory or simply terrify everyone in attendance? May the best scientist win!

They wrote WHAT?  SPOILER: Show
A collection of bad Eva fanfics, MST3K'd by the Eva cast. Shinji recoils in horror at appalling butchery of his character, Asuka fumes with rage at lewd depictions of her, and Rei is disgusted by the shockingly poor grammar of the stories.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

brer rabbit
Embryo

Postby brer rabbit » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:58 pm

I wonder what would happen if the contact experiment was reversed, with Yui losing a chunk of her soul and going mostly crazy and Kyoko body gets dissolved into LCL and her soul was absorbed into the Eva's core.
But here's the twist, Yui does not commit suicide and is still able to recognized Gendo (somewhat) Shinji not so much and since Yui is still with him the Scenario is out the window and is trying stop third impact.
With Asuka, since she never saw her mother go mad she doesn't have that many problems and she never saw her father boing the doctor and he never unmarried so she has a somewhat better relationship with him.

I like to think that Shinji would blame everything on Yui saying that she was stupid and arrogant thinking that she could get the CE right on the first go, but he also hates himself for thinking that and he would be jealous of Asuka mother as she only just 'die' and didn't get a fate worse than death.
The reversed CE also would have some major ripple effects, like Yui is still alive so Gendo doesn't sleep with the Akagi's, Fuyutsuki having unbearable over what happened to Yui and his part in it, would Rei even still exist here?

But Gendo is able to accept and love this fragmentary Yui, it would still pretty much suck for Shinji. All of Gendo's energy would be focused on taking care of Yui, who based on what we saw of Kyoko, would need significant care. I wonder if he would have any emotional bandwidth left for Shinji. How would he react when a 5 year old Shinji says that he hates going to visit mom in the hospital? I'm going to take a guess and say it wouldn't be with a hug and a promise of ice cream on the way home.

And given how obsessed he was about her canon I would have no doubt he would be perfectly fine with a half-mad Yui as longer as she still acknowledges him and loves him.
"Dad... I don't think this is a good idea."

"Son, I know your mother has changed a bit--"

"She's been cackling about the dolls and calls me Rei."

"-- it's just the stress from work. We just need to get through this quarter and I'm sure she'll be exactly as you remember her..."

"She's wants me to wear a dress, dad."

"She always wanted a daughter."

"I'm not it!"

"Oh, come, on, son. It's not that ba--"

"You don't mind cause she's still treating you the same!" :shout: :rant:

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:
Rei's a Crowd  SPOILER: Show
The Rei clones, seemingly more intelligent than Ritsuko gave them credit for, somehow escape from their Reiquarium and run amok. Absolute disaster follows as the clones crawl into the ventilation, chew through wires, steal food and scrawl graffiti all over the HQ. Worse still, the Dummy Plug Plant continues to manufacture more Reis to replace the missing ones (which then of course immediately escape). Ritsuko predicts that if the blue tide is not stemmed, the unnaturally huge amount of Rei clones could lead to an impact. Something needs to be done, but what exactly is unclear; clones or not, NERV can't just shoot a bunch of children. Cunning, mischievous and with unlimited numbers, the Rei clones have only one weakness; an inexplicable adoration of Shinji.

The thing with the thousands of Rei clones escaping and causing chaos sounds more like Evangelion (The Gremlins edition)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:58 am

Looking back through the archives of this thread I've remembered an idea I'd love to see done.

Bizarrovangelion  SPOILER: Show
A pisstake of really shitty fix-fics where everyone is made into either Mary Sues, strawman villains or are otherwise horrendously butchered character-wise, resulting in Evangelion, but reversed, upside-down, mirrored and just plain wrong. So Shinji is an obnoxious prick straight out of the world's worst Shounen, Asuka is a simpering moeblob who bursts into tears at the drop of a hat, Rei is an over-excitable genki girl, Gendo is a goofy, loving father, Misato is a strict, puritanical nun, and Pen-Pen is a flamingo.

Of course, everything soon goes tits-up as Shinji snaps out of...whatever the fuck happened to him, and regains his former timid personality. He then goes about trying to set everything straight and return everything to "normal", but ends up screwing everything up to an even worse degree than End of Evangelion, resulting in the most unspeakably awful, mind-numbingly depressing and generally OH GOD WHY ending in the history of fiction.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 pm

So in other words, by being himself Shinji fucks up again and makes everyone miserable? We already had this in canon, both original and Q.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Fyrstorm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:03 am

(First off, I'm incredibly annoyed at myself that I came up with this. I have way too much work right now and the last thing I need is incentive to write different stories.)

(Second off, I really like this concept for some reason.)

A Crimson Sunset  SPOILER: Show
Some time after episode 20, while Shinji's still stuck in Unit-01, Kaworu arrives a little early. More than a month and a half early, to be specific. Asuka, frustrated by her constantly dropping Synch Ratio, accidentally runs into him one day. Kaworu attempts to strike up a little bit of a chat, while Asuka attempts to not participate in the conversation at all-- though he's so affable it's hard to completely hate the guy.

Of course, the weird German albino shows up in her (massively smaller from evacuations) class the next day, and greets her with the same appreciative formality (I'm thinking 'Frau Langley' or something like that) as he did yesterday. And he keeps being nice. Genuinely pleasant. It's a little baffling.

Essentially, Kaworu (who knows his death's inevitable, having lived through it several times by this point (cycling shenanigans)) is trying to make another friend and help someone out of their downwards spiral. Someone who isn't Shinji, because Shinji won't get out of the giant robot. I wouldn't plan for any AsuKaworu shipping or anything, just the two of them tentatively becoming friends, and Kaworu helping Asuka deal with her problems. I mean, there's no way that he's going to solve all her traumas and issues, but it'd hopefully be enough that she doesn't get kicked off the piloting roster/jump the gun and get mindraped by Arael/try to kill herself/suffer horribly in other ways. I don't like it when the kids suffer too much, Asuka especially.

---

Also, other little thing related to that; I can kinda see one exchange where Kaworu tries Rei's 'open your heart to the Eva' tactic in a slightly different way...

K: You just have to open yourself to the Eva, show it your heart...
A: Show it my heart? Bah, what are you talking about-- it's not like it's alive or something idiot!
K: In that case...
K: ...it wouldn't hurt you, would it? If your Eva is not alive, then you don't have to worry about what it'll think of you. Isn't that true?
A: ...
K: Just give it a try, Frau Langley. If it doesn't go well... you can take it out on me.

I don't know.

Edit: Fixed so that Kaworu sprechens the Deutsch properly.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:07 am

Really interesting concept, I did something similar a while back but it was more just a retelling of Episode 24 with Asuka/Shinjis roles reversed, what you have is much more substantial and provides more opportunity to explore/diverge from the series.

Also the title, Dream Theater reference?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:21 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:(First off, I'm incredibly annoyed at myself that I came up with this. I have way too much work right now and the last thing I need is incentive to write different stories.)

(Second off, I really like this concept for some reason.)

Edit: Fixed so that Kaworu sprechens the Deutsch properly.

I think it's a great idea (particularly if it lacks a shipping element), though I'm not sure I'd go with "Frau" as a form of address for Asuka; surely "Fraulein" is more appropriate for a 13-year-old girl? It's hard to tell with her, since she's so stuck on being an adult, but then again she's also rather chauvinistic, so . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Fyrstorm » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:02 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Really interesting concept, I did something similar a while back but it was more just a retelling of Episode 24 with Asuka/Shinji's roles reversed, what you have is much more substantial and provides more opportunity to explore/diverge from the series.

Also the title, Dream Theater reference?

Thanks! And I've never seen Dream Theater-- I just wanted an Asuka fic, and thought the name sounded cool. If there's any connection, it's not intentional.

As for the concept; again, I just wanted an Asuka fic-- one in which she manages to recover from her downwards spiral and avoid the worst of the final six episodes. The concept ended up with her running into someone who helped her out with it, and Kaworu fit the slot surprisingly well.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I think it's a great idea (particularly if it lacks a shipping element), though I'm not sure I'd go with "Frau" as a form of address for Asuka; surely "Fraulein" is more appropriate for a 13-year-old girl? It's hard to tell with her, since she's so stuck on being an adult, but then again she's also rather chauvinistic, so . . .

"Fraulein" tends to be more dismissive and archaic, and Kaworu would probably get kicked somewhere painful for it. "Frau" is a little more... respectful? Plus, Kaworu's already pretty weird (his using of German words with Japanese style kinda makes sense, though it's a bit odd), so I think it works fine.

As for the no-romance thing, well, there's some reasons I have for it;
1) There's not enough friendships around, and I wanted to give it a shot.
2) Just because Kaworu thinks Asuka deserves happiness, doesn't mean he feels for her in the same way as he does Shinji.
3) As of Episode 20+, romance is probably one of the worst things to have Asuka deal with. Not to mention, considering her state, I wouldn't want to write romance for her. A simple friend is much better.

But yeah, as you've thought, there won't be any AsuKaworu.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:07 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:Thanks! And I've never seen Dream Theater-- I just wanted an Asuka fic, and thought the name sounded cool. If there's any connection, it's not intentional.

Ahh Dream Theater has a song called A Change Of Seasons, and the opening/closing parts are The Crimson Sunrise & The Crimson Sunset.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:08 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I'm not sure I'd go with "Frau" as a form of address for Asuka; surely "Fraulein" is more appropriate for a 13-year-old girl?

This is the guidance I follow:

Fräulein is not typically used any more. In fact, a lot of women can become quite upset if addressed this way. (Quite some time ago it described an unmarried woman, completely independent of her age).

You would use Mädchen for children and every time you wish to point to the fact that they are minors. After that, it would either be junge Frau or simply Frau.

Please note that the transition from Mädchen to Frau is a very soft one. In an official context, you would not use Mädchen for a woman of 18 years or more. In a more colloquial setup, that can be extended, and in a private context, there is no age limit for Mädchen.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fräulein
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 am

View Original PostStillborn wrote:So in other words, by being himself Shinji fucks up again and makes everyone miserable? We already had this in canon, both original and Q.

Well, Eva is a story that repeats after all. :tongue:
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:52 am

As I commented on Fyrstorm's idea elsewhere, I had a similar idea a long while ago. Except mine had Asuka run into Kaworu after she ran outside to sulk when Rei bested her in the Israfel dance training.

Return to “Fanfiction”